Mf 2640

marshman

Well went to look at a 2640 today.

Its my uncles he brought it in with a 390.

Shes a bit tatty/scruffy and rough.

But it runs drives etc like it should  6000 some odd hours on the clock but it stopped working.

Few little falts some lights play up all though they nearly all work when they want to.

Errr  front prop disconected but should be put on tommrow. Anway here she is. 

Will see if the other bloke doesnt have it we will. Dont think he is going to have it as he is in france soo.

IMG_0066-1.jpg

IMG_0065-1.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_00712.jpg

IMG_0068-1.jpg

Ady Ady ady, do i need to come back over bore you with 700 JD factory pics again.... get you looking at the correct colours again, buke and green,

Well whe does hold her head high i been a clasic, for a working girl she dont look to bad, bit of tlc and you would have a hunny. Theres a 1200 for sale over here, realy tidy ive been told...

you going to buy this ads

props off ??????  four wheel drive is probly shot or works when it want too

If the other guy doesnt have it then yes.

I dont think so steve althought it could be. Its my uncles he knows its history and anyway its going back on the prop tommrow morn anyway to try it.

Its not green i no i no but its cheap and local and my uncles.  :D:) :) :) :) :)

If the other guy doesnt have it then yes.

I dont think so steve althought it could be. Its my uncles he knows its history and anyway its going back on the prop tommrow morn anyway to try it.

Its not green i no i no but its cheap and local and my uncles.  :D:) :) :) :) :)

well its a good find for you ads give yousomething todo in the summer sun and a few gallons of t cut and a few bags of sand(for the oil)

stand well back when you do put the prop back on mate they do go with a bang best of luck

Nowt wrong with that Addy... I'd be suspicious as to why the prop is disconnected mind you... other than that mate... as stated... go for it... any 2000 with an autohich is both rare and desirable buddy.... check the speedshift works properly...

It's also strange to see one with the engine covers in situ as well  :o :o

I'd sat that's £5k all day every day provided all functions... (engine, g/box, linkage)  :-*

I think the prop was disconected as most of its life its pulled trailers at port lym zoo. As there were so many drivers etc they used to get left in 4wd on concret. When there was no need for 4wd.  My uncle had a 3050 jd and a ford tw from them both had props disconected. Although is a bit odd but going to try it tommrow.  Its ours for £2000 plus vat although uncle said he can lose that prob for us. The bloke in france he offed it too before he got it so he has to check with him first although he said he prop wont have it as he will prop go for the 390 my uncle has. Cheap enought that too i would think.

I think she would be fun to own got a konk like Lord Ferguson, looks as mean as Aunty Jo and scruffy as sean but I bet she could tell some good stories......be fun to see her restored........

Ady Ady ady, do i need to come back over bore you with 700 JD factory pics again.... get you looking at the correct colours again, buke and green,

Well whe does hold her head high i been a clasic, for a working girl she dont look to bad, bit of tlc and you would have a hunny. Theres a 1200 for sale over here, realy tidy ive been told...

That will do thank you bongie.

Looks to have a few more years left in it,I'd buy it for a project. :)

have to agree with mark here adam , finding one with an auto hitch is rare enough , but the engine covers as well !

big ,slow, cumbersome tractors & apart from the clutch bulletproof.

i know many southwest 2000 series tractors were sold with auto hitch simply because of the variety of tasks it was expected to do in & around dairy farms , but on the larger estates up round mark & gav's area , they were bought with heavy draft, PTO operations in mind .

having said that if it was fitted you had to be a contortionist just to use the bl00dy thing !

when swapping silage trailers about i had an old car wing mirror gaffa taped onto a broom handle  , then the trick is to hold the mirror still while you keep turning the beast & try to operate the lift lever till the hitch was lined up, a great way to spend 5 minutes  :D :D

having said all that , you really can't beat these tractors on hedgetrimming

i just love 'em  :)

Well its ours provisonaly. Basicly the deal when my uncle brought it was to give the tyres that are on this oen back to the person he brought it off. Odd i no. So he has to find some tyres for this one now. But just waiting for him to get back. Cant wait till its ready now :D

• 1 month later...

You'll get a gold one now you've sold that nasty litle green machine you had Addy  ;D:D :D

HOWWWWWWW DARE YOU. Im still crying my self to sleep everynight , but we did see her yesterday again and he said if i ever want to borrow her i can :)

Infact Mum said whats the Mf like i said nice but not our little jd :'( :'(

Thanks for the gold one mate though ;D

she is sweet. im in college at the moment studying ag science and we spend a lotof time in an agricultural college in clonakilty, west cork. We have a 2wd mf 2680. Very similar to the pictures up. What a machine!! up near 140 hp its weird to see such horsepower with no 4wd and il finish to say she looks mint with duals on!!! :D :D :D

il do my best to get some pictures!

Well what a horrible stinking, slow load of rubish.

Me and Dad went for a 5 mile round trip on here , stoped at a few farmer freinds ohhh arrr  looked at new claas combine they just got to.

Anyway, got back and as dad had drove all the way i said im going for a spin up the road if thats okay. Sooo we didnt even stop the engine dad got i and of i went, got 0.5mile up the road, splutter cough, stop. ::) Grrr what up here got over 1/4 tank of fuel, turned her over nothig, nothing nothing then way she goes, i pull of the road into a gateway and she stops again and wouldnt go >:( Walked home (didnt take my mobile as i didnt even get out) ::) So we pulled her home with the land rover :o all 5+ ton of her.

So Thanks Marky its all your falt for saying it was a good buy ::):-*:-*

I Want the jd back

Oh dear Ad.. thats not good mate... stop soloniod wire perhaps ??? - it's pretty common on that engine to give trouble - wiggle the wire... being wet around the terminal (with fuel) won't help  :-\

Dads an ex AA man isn't he ??? - he'll get her sorted in no time addy... chin up chap  :-*

We are talking about the 2640 arn't we :-\

If so  what stop solanoid :-\  they have a pull stop

I'd be more inclined to check the filters  and not let the fuel get too low as the guages on mine is crud    Had the same thing happen once when i was ploughing    I thought there was plenty of fuel in her    and the angle of being in the furrow caused it to run dry

Thanks guys, we thought straight away it was fuel problems.  Although it did cross my mind about the stop pull.  Dad cleaned the much out drained the tank and way she went so not too bad. Took her for a run and shes okay at the moment.

Thanks Marky mate. Your always welcome a drive of her if you want, i no its nothing speical but your always welcome

We are talking about the 2640 arn't we :-\

If so   what stop solanoid :-\   they have a pull stop

I'd be more inclined to check the filters   and not let the fuel get too low as the guages on mine is crud     Had the same thing happen once when i was ploughing    I thought there was plenty of fuel in her    and the angle of being in the furrow caused it to run dry

OOps... my mistake... was thinking about a phaser engine (later one) - 3000 series was prone to that.... not the 2000 series  :-[