Soldering brass

MB Trac

Question

Having been asked to give a few tips earlier on brass soldering, i didnt have time to go through it so with some time availble I can provide some quick tips on how I go about it myself.

1 Firstly you need a low temp solder (188 degrees I have found to be the best)

2 Then the iron, I use weller made irons however I dont think it matters much as only a low temp is needed.

3 Flux is very important, I use Bakers soldering fluid and a tip cleaner which I find essential to get a good clean solder.

4 The material must be as clean as possible, use a fine emery (sand) paper to clean the parts, I usually get the paper in halfords.

5 Once cleaned ensure the iron is hot, place the two parts together, brass gets very hot very quick so use a clamp where possible, as many a time I have had burnt fingers  ;D

6 Apply some flux to the joint

7 take the solder place a tiny amount on the tip.

8 Place the tip on the joint and move the solder arount until the joint is covered and secure.

9 NB 188 degrees solder requires only a small amount of heat to become molten so should be no need to hold the tip of the

iron on the joint for too long.

10 If required add more solder to ensure a good strong joint.

11 File down excess solder ensuring there is still enough on the joint to ensure a strong bond.

12 Practice, practice, practice and lots of burnt fingers ha ha.

The main thing to look at is the 188 degrees solder and the flux.

11 answers to this question

Much appreciated, I have been trying my hand at this on a practice scale. Dad has helped because he is good at things like that and also probably fed up with hearing me effing and blinding at everything! :D

So far we have found the plumbers solder pretty easy to use although the sticks are quite large. Havn't had the chance to see if smaller diameter sticks are available.

Thanks for the tips :)

most good diy stores wil have that stuff tris, just make sure its plumbing solder you get mind, as they do others ,would normal eletrical solder work as well then?? or is that the wrong stuff, i get reels of that from work nice thin stuff that runs well round awquard shapes

hi ive just made a roll cage for a tractor puller model im building and used the solder from work looks like 2mm ish and i use it all the time for wiring was a bit tricky burnt fingers too gas iron forgot me flux but once cleaned up stuck a treat