Modelfarmer Recomendation!!! - Paint Extractor Booths

MODELFARMER

Question

I thought after a recent purchase to add to my workshop inventory of tools i'd share this with you

I have been having the problem of paint mist and fumes causing havoc in my workshop, everything was covered in a layer of paint dust, ad i was beginning to feel the effects of prolonged exposure to the fumes (I could fly) ha ha

So in setting about i searched high and low

and found these guys http://www.graphicair.co.uk/

They have a few sizes of spray booth available, http://www.graphicair.co.uk/acatalog/Spray_Booths.html,

Now just roughly (you can read more on the site) there are two main differences,

1st type of booth cycles the air within the room

2nd type extracts fumes via 100mm ducting to an outside vent (purpose built or a window)

The 1st type requires the use of carbon filters, these remove harmful fumes, and a filter to catch the actual paint overspray.

The 2nd type as its ducted to outside only has the filters to catch the paint as fumes are completly extracted out of the room.

The model I bought is the 2nd type, as long term running costs are lower (no need to buy carbon filters)(just paint catching filters)

I bought the bigger A100H-D (D means ducted eg type 2)

http://www.graphicair.co.uk/acatalog/GraphicAir_A100H-D___A200H-D_Extraction_Cabinets.html

The bigger has two blowers, and i'll tell you they are moving a massive amount of air but inside the cabnet you don't feel it and the paint spray patterns are not affected at all.

Now yes the prices of this one i got are massive but I'm using it constant so well invested i think.

But i reckon the smaller units they have on site will probally suit the needs of most of you guys on here but you can decide for yourselves.

Don't be fooled by some other spray booths on the market some of the cheap ones i personally don't think could ever match these machines.

The only thing i cannot say about is how long the paint filters last, but in emails with the company they reckoned for me a box of 6 would last the guts of a year --- hmmmmm I'll keep you's updated when i need to change the 1st one. but at less than £100 for a box of 6 i think not bad consdering the results i'm having already.

Enjoy

Ricky

I can't see any cooker extractor doing anywhere near the job these things do,

Its not the cost that i needed to justify it was the job i needed done, no point in trying to nail down a paper roof with rubber nails and a turkey leg for a hammer now is there??

i was thinking of having my wall lined with waterproof sheeting,a gulley at the bottom with a slight fall to one side,next a small tank for the water preferably into the ground and a garden pond type pump circulating the water and pumping it out at the top to run down the sheeting,if you were to spray against it it most of the spray and fumes would stick to the water...now that might not work as planned but i think it would,the dust and mess that permanently spraying leaves is one of the dirtiest of all,ive my garage sectioned now so that im painting in just a small part of it but the cost of that machine is just far tooo much to take out of models,its hard enough with the constant costs of buying bits and pieces all the time

i was thinking of having my wall lined with waterproof sheeting,a gulley at the bottom with a slight fall to one side,next a small tank for the water preferably into the ground and a garden pond type pump circulating the water and pumping it out at the top to run down the sheeting,if you were to spray against it it most of the spray and fumes would stick to the water

Indoor water feature, I like it  :D 

with all the talk about fans ect ive started my idea of the running water wall,ill let you know how i get on when i get it together,instead of using a garden pond type pump as i mentioned im now using feed direct from the hose and a gulley at bottom connected to storm pipes outside,as im only ever painting for about a half hour at a time i reckon about 2 gallon or slightly more water would be lost but the advantage is there,d always be clean water running down the wall

with all the talk about fans ect ive started my idea of the running water wall,ill let you know how i get on when i get it together,instead of using a garden pond type pump as i mentioned im now using feed direct from the hose and a gulley at bottom connected to storm pipes outside,as im only ever painting for about a half hour at a time i reckon about 2 gallon or slightly more water would be lost but the advantage is there,d always be clean water running down the wall

Be interesting to see how you get on with this, yo could use water based paint too!

over 5 cubic metres a minute for the smallest cabnet, minimum

The air velocity in mine at the filter face is 36metres a minute (note velocity not volume)

Got this email from the suppliers

Both the blowers fitted to the unit are capable of drawing 355m³/hr. This makes a total volume of 710m³. The unit is capable of running all day every day should you wish it to do so.

So there ye go, thats alot of air moving ha ha!

Brian... powder coaters have used this method for years.. it works very well too I believe... but... will moisture in the air be an issue with this system for spray paint ???

Another idea... take a look at workshop dust extactors - I did a bit of wood turning a few year back... and as reported above in here... I stopped using it as it replaced the lovely warm air I had paid to heat with outside cold air in a matter of minutes  :of  .. we now use it on my potato hopper at work... it keeps the dust down when we load 1t into it a treat... sooon fills with muddy dust mind you  :of :of

Lovely bit of kit Ricky.  ;) I don't think I cold justify that though - I just have a couple of fans which do a good enough job and even then I have a fan heater in the booth to maintain temperature as the warm air is sucked out in minutes.  :D

i wont be using it for the airbrush,only the aerosol which creates lots of haze and unpleasant chemicals to be breathing in,my airbrush system is fine.,im hoping itll absorb half the fumes and overspray and itll not be bouncing back at me,with the idea i have in mind i dont think the moisture will be a problem as itll be minimal in a room with exactly the right temperature for painting.the fumes off aerosols can hang in the air for hours and id be applying 4-5 coats on the JDs and sometimes up to 7 coats on the MF,s so a lot of time is spent painting and im painting at least 4 days of the week