Tracked Thingy

James T

Found this interesting little personnel-carrying tracked vehicle near Daer Reservoir in South Lanarkshire (just off the M74 at Elvanfoot, south of Abington).  I think it is being used to transport workers up to a new windfarm.  Nice piece of kit.

100_3801.jpg

100_3802.jpg

100_3805.jpg

100_3811.jpg

100_3813.jpg

the new ones are vikings, i belive thats the version before these, although they still use them we call them snowcats, which may well becomeing from the version before that one as they were made by the same people who made the wombat versions, (long time ago), heres that ones replacement

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/viking/

they were only ever really designed for light stuff tris, sort of rapid behind the lines troop / stores stuff, very fast off road, and amphibious to, , not so good on tarmac, make a hell of a noise, especially when they go off to norway so ship them to the dock, a convoy of 10 sounds like a huge really really huge swarm of bees,s

They do 55k on tarmac mind, Sean. That's why the UK liked them because they didn't need another form of land transport. They had either Merc or Ford V6 engines in them which shifted Marines around pretty sharpish but offered near as damn it, no protection. Hence the nickname as they were easily torn apart by roadsides and mines. Like you say it wasn't in their criteria to be any different, easily moved by air beneath or in a Chinook, amphibious and fast too. I light support vehicle was it's function but as with all our kit, it was over used due to shortages and there found itself being used where it wasn't really designed. Popular decommissioned toy though and handy for wetlands, game reserves, private shoots...

indeed Tris, thinkg the new vikings are a bit better than that version, but still not armoured as required ,55k is possable , but never used, rough ride, and like  i said noisy as hell on it, they very often move them during daytime down here if they are going away as when they did it over night them got a lot of complaints about them, be live me you hear them coming a long way off, did drive the older than that  version on a open day when i was a bit younger, used to be living near a base( old man was a rm) only round a parade ground mind , they limited it and only 1st gear, very very easy to drive, just a steering wheel but uncomfortable as hell even at that speed ,wouldnt want to be doing 55k over rough terrain,