Fordson "500" 29/30 June 1996

The Tractor Twitcher

I’ve been meaning to attempt this for a while now even if i’m nearly 14 years late in doing so. Given that it took me nearly 3 hours of surgical precision to remove the photographs from their previous home, and having almost accidently amputated nearly all them during the procedure, I thought they were deserving of a little more description than single word subtitles.

The Fordson “500†event which took place over the weekend of 29th /30th  June 1996, was, and still is arguabley one of the finest themed gatherings inspired by a single manufacturer ever to be held in mainland Britain. With around one thousand derivatives of Fordson and Ford tractors, dating between 1917 and 1966 assembling for over 15,000 eager eyed enthusiasts passing through the gates of Newark Showground. 

The following forty or so photographs taken by my Dad provide the merest miniscule of snapshots from this magnificent event. Hopefully they do just enough to convey the atmosphere to those who were unable to experience this event first hand or provide a reminiscent reminder for those who did. I’ll also offer my immediate apologies for ruining many of the following images with my own intervening ugly mug. Despite this I hope everyone enjoys viewing them as much as I did putting this little lot together. 

*Disclaimer – “The following thread contains scenes of a gratuitously blue nature which maybe unsuitable for some members .  Any affiliate of the “Massey Massive†wishing to view the following photographs do so at their own risk.â€

Before I move onto the meat and metal of this thread i’ll start with some of the souvenir material i’ve saved.

Official Program

DSC06311.jpg

Primetime Video

DSC06306.jpg

Farmers Weekly double page spread ( 12 / 7 / 96 )

DSC06309.jpg

Here's the first chapter dedicated to some of the machines on display. I've endeavoured to list them all in date order and identify the majority of them. However if any of my information is written in error please don't hesitate to correct me.

Fordson Model F

IMGf500_0001.jpg

Charlie Clarkson's 1942 Fordson Model N aboard his Fordson 7V 5T lorry.

IMGf500_0002.jpg

A couple of line up views

IMGf500_0003.jpg

IMGf500_0004.jpg

A pair of Fordson N based rollers manufactured by Aveling Barford and Green

IMGf500_0005.jpg

IMGf500_0006.jpg 

County Ploughman P50 crawler.

IMGf500_0014.jpg

Automower winch tractor.

IMGf500_0017.jpg

Fordson Super Major and verge cutter.

IMGf500_0019.jpg

Fordson Super Major based Doe Triple D.

IMGf500_0020.jpg

Roadless Ploughmaster 6/4 - When David met SAL - LY for the first time.

IMGf500_0021.jpg

Roadless Ploughmaster 6/4

IMGf500_0022.jpg

Roadless Super Dexta

IMGf500_0023.jpg

Winsam cabbed County Super 6 and Ransomes plough.

IMGf500_0025.jpg

County 954

IMGf500_0024.jpg

Nothing like ruining the view through to this Northrop 5004. The tractor was in an enclosure in front of the Goodyear stand and I was distracted by a sales representative who was saying, "Step away from the Ford conversion," or words to that effect.

IMGf500_0026.jpg

Ernest Doe's own fully restored Doe 130 performing one of it's many trips around the showground.

IMGf500_0027.jpg

IMGf500_0028.jpg

IMGf500_0029.jpg

We'll break from the real stars of the show for a brief interlude performed by the "Basildon International Display Team." It's just a shame I can't provide sound effects to go with the photographs. The pyrotechnics used in their finale certainly made me jump.

IMGf500_0030.jpg

IMGf500_0031.jpg

IMGf500_0032.jpg

IMGf500_0033.jpg

My brother who doesn't share my enthusiasm for all things tractor related was rather more keen on taking this Polaris quad for a spin around the showground.

IMGf500_0034.jpg

Whilst I chose this 60 series tractor for company, launched in January of 1996.

IMGf500_0035.jpg

Cummins powered Ford Versatile 9680. I'd love to find one of these tractors to photograph in it's proper working environment.

IMGf500_0036.jpg

IMGf500_0037.jpg

However we both agreed that this New Holland TF78 Elektra was one of the most impressive modern machines on display. It also proved to be rather useful for a task far removed from it's makers original intentions.

IMGf500_0038.jpg

Perhaps the best way of truly appreciating the sheer ocean of machines covering the surface of Newark Showground was to ,rather than hire a helicopter, climb to the top of the TF78.

IMGf500_0039.jpg

IMGf500_0040.jpg

IMGf500_0041.jpg

IMGf500_0042.jpg

IMGf500_0043.jpg 

That's all the photographs I have from this event, I hope they've proved interesting.

Great pictures there David and many thanks for sharing them with us ;)

Thanks Colm, appreciated. I watched the video again today and it just makes you realise how many other variations there were being exhibited. I'd have really liked to have ended up with photographs of the Rotaped tracked Howard Dungledozer and the row crop E27N made by Bettinsons of Holbeach. 

My goodness David - I think you should write a book or something - you make all your photos so interesting with the commentary etc. I do so enjoy!

Thank you Jo, appreciate your kind words. I think a book is perhaps a little beyond my literary skills. I'm by no means an expert on any of the machinery conveyed in the images I post, but, i'm really enjoying writing at the moment and also providing a little bit of complimentary text with each of my photographic contributions. I'm certainly preferring to prepare posts such as this on my week off than "wee" all of my spare time ( planned silent disco tommorow night aside ) up against a wall every evening down my local. :)

Thanks for sharing these pictures, I was only 12 at the time myself and was blown away at the time by the number of tractors there. If only i knew what i know now back then i remember a box of David Brown leaflets for 50p each which now make £20 -£30!

You're more than welcome Lee. I have very similar memories from the event. I'd just turned 13 at the time and found it remarkable that so many tractors of the same make could be assembled in one place, given that i'm a huge fan of all things Ford and Fordson and of those companies that chose to use their skid units. I remember coming away with a few goodies, mostly books at the time, my model collection hadn't really taken off and I was at the age where I'd assumed I was too old for carpet farming. I did bring home a 1/43 scale Ertl model of a Minneapolis Moline G-750 from G and M though. :)

8) 8)  great great, fantastic topic

Thank you Erik, it's been a while coming, needed to pluck up the courage first to remove the photographs from the album they have lived in for the last 14 years. I'm really glad I did now. :)