mf implements

mfjack

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack you need to be a bit clearer in your line of questioning buddy.

If you are asking, what I think you are asking "Where there any implements that MF did not sell ?" then that's not really a question anyone can answer.  You'd be better approaching the question from the other view point.. think of an implement and ask "did MF ever sell it"

I know youi'd be very surprised at the range of implements that MF produced and sold over the years that's for sure.. there are literally hundreds of machine types

Good idea to ask how many implements MF sold (don't think we question the 30 drill) but many of the others that were badge engineering may have sold very few. I think a list of all implements sold with a Massey badge should be listed and classified by country and year. Over to you Lord Agco  ;)

I think that's a lifetimes work...

I did actually start a spreadsheet a few years back.. kind of a timeline..... but I gave up after about 3 pages as the task looked just too daunting  :'(

MF30 drill was actually manufactured by Howard and later by GKN

Sprayers... never seen one from MF.. worldwide I must say....

The side delivery rake was withdrawn before the days of MF in the UK...

BUT... this MF92 was sold in the UK in the late 80's I believe  :-\  .. I've seen one in a Cheffins sale recently as well.. I think I may have even photograhped it... will look to see...

MF92_Page_1-1.jpg

Not even so sure if this V-rake wasn't soldf in the UK well.. the brochure is not marked for export in the code  :-\

MF102-104VRake_Page_1.jpg

BUT... this MF92 was sold in the UK in the late 80's I believe  [img alt=:-\]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/undecided.gif  .. I've seen one  in a Cheffins sale recently as well.. I think I may have even  photograhped it... will look to see...

never mind about photographing it, you should of bought the B thing!

I did actually start a spreadsheet a few years back.. kind of a  timeline..... but I gave up after about 3 pages as the task looked just  too daunting  [img alt=:'(]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/cry.gif

I bet you lost the spreadsheet too  :-\

MF30 drill was actually manufactured by Howard and later by GKN

Indeed and MF didn't build 200 series trailers either or much anything excpt tractors and they don't build all of them themselves.

As an aside I think I have cracked the 1x5/1x8 query having re read the relevant section in Brian Bells "50 years of farm tractors" and compared it to Marky's explanation the other day, 178 replaced 175 both tractors had same wheel base and 6 speed gearbox. Later super spec 8 series introduced with longer wheelbase and 8 speed gearbox. 185 introduced at same time to replace 178. 185 had no spacer and had 6 speed gearbox.

Indeed.... 178 was a 175 with a new, upgraded engine (from the .236 to the slightly larger pistoned .248).. replaced by the 185 which was launched at the Royal Show in July 1971... all other 8 line tractors were launched in Decmber 1971 at the Smithfield show.  Although they were replaced by the 500 series models in the UK for 1976... MF continued to make them at Banner Lane for export until 1979 according to the serial number data available.

right then.... name another obscure implement and I'll dig deep to see if I can find an MF one  :P

I know what Jack is asking and I am with him in thinking that it is easier to list the machinery that they did not make because there was a vast amount that they did. If you can obtain any books on the subject of Ferguson and Massey Ferguson they are worth getting. There seemed to be more machinery made for the Ferguson 20 series tractors than any of the later models. If you want to see a comprehensive collection then you can't do better than going to one of Mike Thorne's open days near Crediton in Devon, I think that anyone on here that's been will agree.

i find the MF machinery more interesting than the tractors.  some will disagree but i reckon MF were better at building combines than tractors, way ahead of anything else for performance and reliability.

I find it odd no sprayers.

Did they ever put their name on milking machinery Mark?

i find the MF machinery more interesting than the tractors.  some will disagree but i reckon MF were better at building combines than tractors, way ahead of anything else for performance and reliability.

I find it odd no sprayers.

Did they ever put their name on milking machinery Mark?

Well I disagree with the bit about better than tractors... but they did dominate the combine world for many years and LIKE THE TRACTORS made the best combines in the world... led the way for many years..

Milking machinery... not that I know of... but every week I still find something they put their name to that I've never seen before  :of:-[

Sean... like this...

MF51_Page_1-2.jpg

MF23_24ForageBoxesUSA_Page_1.jpg