greetings from Kansas

krogmeier

Hello, all!  I'm Matt - grew up farming in northeast Colorado, and now live in the Kansas City metropolitan area.  I've collected Ertl farm toys since I was a kid, but only recently got back into the game.  What I'm hoping to find here are folks that have expertise and advice to give in restoration and scratch building. 

I recently bought and Ertl IH 915 Combine that I intend to restore, and I am also wondering if anyone has ever built or seen any toy Dempster grain drills.

I look forward to making new friends on here, and I hope to interact with you soon!

Matt

welcome to the Nutthouse.. loads of weirdos on here! You will no doubt make many new friends on here with a passion for the hobby.

Most europeans are 1:32 collector's but i am mainly a 1:16 addict..

got quite a special combine there and hope to see pictures of it on here.. ;D

I think you have to custom built the Dempster grain drill as i cant remember seeing any in model form. Lot's of expertise here on custom building, so just ask away and go through the forum, as there are many topics on here that might be quite valuable to you..

Thanks, everyone.  I have a full list of old toys that I want to restore...stuff that was either mine, my older brother's, or neighbors' that they gave to me over the years.  I've got one of the old Gleaner combines that needs a full resurrection, a JD 3020 wide front, an IH 806 narrow front, and a Massey Ferguson 760 combine.  I've got an AC D-17 that's in pretty rough shape - the hitch is broken off on one side.  All of them I hope to restore to their former glory.  A few years ago, I restored my Case Agri King, but didn't really have the temperment or patience to do the job really well back then.  Once I get all these things together and get some pictures taken, I will definitely call on you for help and advice!

Hey Matt, I did harvest around your way in 2003 - best days of my life  :)

Glad you found us, nothing better than rekindling old past imes and young memories. Especially when farming gear is involved. You'll find plenty here on scratch building and collecting models. Is it 1/16th you are mainly interested in? I ask as it seems the mainstay of US collecting. Fordcrazy has already introduced himself as a 1/16th addict - he is also a Ford addict and has masses of the things lining his walls - I think it is for insulation to keep his heating bills down!!  :laugh:  Another chap in the 1/16 collecting arena is ertlerik. Even a 1/16 plow in full R/C is being built by a chap called Kolpen.

As for 1/32 - no end of the stuff here as it is readily available on the european market and more models mirror the kind of kit we see day to day.

What are the Gleaner ocmbines you speak of? It was an R62 I drove for the custom cutter I worked for in Kansas.

Ahh, the days of custom cutters coming through, all parked at the fairgrounds in Holyoke.  That always looked like a gypsy lifestyle that I didn't envy at all :)

My primary focus is 1/16 collecting.  I've got a few of the Ertl Precision Series tractors, and hope to get more.  I really want to lay my hands on one of the IH 1086's, but I don't have that kind of money right now!  I grew up driving mostly IH tractors, but did learn to drive tractors with a Case 2390 and an IH 1086.  Last tractor I drove was the Case IH 4WD 9150...and that was back in the 90's when I still did occasional work at home.

The gleaner toy I speak of is the small one that Ertl made, probably back in the 1960's.  My older brother likely got it for Christmas one year.  The rims are all broken, and it has been glass-beaded (sandblasted) in preparation for restoration.  I just got a new Dakotah Toys catalog, and sadly don't see many parts for this one...I can get the unloading auger and table auger, but I don't see the wheels or decals for it at all.

I have a few of the 1/64 tractors and implements, and one or two 1/32 tractors, my favorite of which is a Case IH non-articulated 4WD (crab steering).  Almost all of my collection is in boxes at my parent's house in Colorado, including many new IH tractors from when they did the 66 series releases a few years ago.  I've got a picture of them somewhere...I'll try to upload it.

I love them all - I guess it's the farm kid in me that just doesn't want to grow up!

Erik definately will love the view of that. I know he has an considerable amount of IH 1:16's on the shelves, all the precisions too if i recall correctly from my last visit to him.

(I believe he goes to the US nearly every year to help friends in Iowa with harvest time or other chores with the tractors..  ;) )

Dakotah is the source to go to, for parts in 1:16 (too bad their site is off a lot of the times i try to order parts there). but you also might try Kate Bossen @ www.bossenimp.com

hi Matt this dont look like yer in kansas anymore (tell toe toe)....bad joke  sorry i bet u never here that one ha ha!

loving the IH 1/16 stuff , do you collect much of the CASE tractors aswell

ive got the 856 ih in 1/16 i still like looking at her