second gereration marstons

• 3 weeks later...

I am surprised that Lee trailers were as far down as Civilpek's country :o

to be honest i havent seen a new one in years oyer 10 id say  :-\. but the guys who used cut our silage had about 5-6 of the them, although the design was way different to that newer version that Sean made me as in pic above.

there is a contractor operating outside Tralee who still uses lees though, but all of them are between 6-12 years old. he dosnt get new anything including tractors just uses everything till it cant go anymore.

the guy i work with had a few lees two years ago. 10 years or so ago they were probably one of the best trailers on the market judging by their popularity but when trailers like kane, herron, redrock etc came along they took over.

id like to see what a modern lee looks like out of interest

I take it so they are still made from wood? they were a mighty trailer for their time. i remember in the days of the trailed harvester the lees were made with wooden lats on the side, i.e. lat - space - lat etc  ;D then when the first self propelled harvester  came around here (a claas 695) she was blowing the grass out with such force that half it was going straight through the lats  :D and lost. so they had to stop everything in the first week and alter all the trailers. that was the start of the solid trailers i soppouse.

i also saw a lee a good while ago with timber solid sides. the driver went too close to some trees and they ended up pulling nearly one whole side clean off the trailer. prob wouldnt have happened with steel. if they are still made with wood its a wonder they havent changed to steel

I take it so they are still made from wood? they were a mighty trailer for their time. i remember in the days of the trailed harvester the lees were made with wooden lats on the side, i.e. lat - space - lat etc  ;D then when the first self propelled harvester  came around here (a claas 695) she was blowing the grass out with such force that half it was going straight through the lats  :D and lost. so they had to stop everything in the first week and alter all the trailers. that was the start of the solid trailers i soppouse.

i also saw a lee a good while ago with timber solid sides. the driver went too close to some trees and they ended up pulling nearly one whole side clean off the trailer. prob wouldnt have happened with steel. if they are still made with wood its a wonder they havent changed to steel

Yes they have changed to steel - one near James F but don't think they are making too many now :(

A fella I know ripped the whole side of a Redrock drawing maize doing the same thing :D