Garioch Vehicle Restoration Society Rally at Oldmeldrum Sunday 1st August 2010

BC

having looked at another 8100 i would say thats exactly what that is, they had a bit more than just bits of plate joining the bell housing to the front tombstone, it was like an actual cradle  under the engine a very heavy cradle too. the ford industrial 2700 series engine had an aliminium sump.

Great pictures Bill, never seen a Ford 1900 before, I like the Int 955 the Ford 4000 and the Austin lorry are very nice, my uncle Fred who's an ex fireman had a fire engine version of the Austin K2 many years ago, I never knew what happened to it, but it was in nice condition. Thanks for sharing the pics Bill and your little cub looks a peach as usual. ;)

that is the right type of engine for a 8100 it is a 2700 series industrial ford engine not a a modern new holland engine, i agree the side frame looks odd but its a long while since i worked on an 8100. the six cllinder major is fitted with the old 590e or 6d thames trader engine, ford d series had ford 2700 series engines.

Thanks for the update on what was in the old Major Nick. I never looked closely at it since well those bitsa's don't really float my boat. I just overheard someone say it was a 6 cylinder out of an old Ford D series lorry. I see even the power drive shaft was cut or burnt off :of :of

Great pictures Bill, never seen a Ford 1900 before, I like the Int 955 the Ford 4000 and the Austin lorry are very nice, my uncle Fred who's an ex fireman had a fire engine version of the Austin K2 many years ago, I never knew what happened to it, but it was in nice condition. Thanks for sharing the pictures Bill and your little cub looks a peach as usual. ;)

Thanks James. It's a nice little rally and there were a lot of nice interesting exhibits. Shame about the weather on the day. I must admit I don't think I have seen a Ford 1900 before either. The Ford 4000 was nice. The only criticism I had on the paint job was the rear wheels they could have been better. Having said that it was a nice restoration job. I never actually heard what got second after me in my class but I would have hoped it would have been this one.

having looked at another 8100 i would say thats exactly what that is, they had a bit more than just bits of plate joining the bell housing to the front tombstone, it was like an actual cradle  under the engine a very heavy cradle too. the ford industrial 2700 series engine had an aliminium sump.

I've had a look in the 'archives' and I have to say that you are absolutely correct, it is more of a subframe than just side rails, though from some angles you wouldn't tell the difference. I was just working off the top of my head before. Me and my big mouth eh? :-[

not a case of that mate ! these tractors are getting old now. i remember them when they were new and have worked on quite a number over the years.  they use to suffer big problems with spline wear  on pto drive shaft in the centre of the flywheel. due to a number of factorrs including the way the engine was fitted and the industrial engines rev higher than the ag engines. when the splines worn out you lost all hydraulics and pto. split tractor at bell housing renew hub in centre of flywheel. grind off remaining worn splines and rejoin tractor. roll rear axle off of gearbox and replace pto drive shaft  and check pto clutch pack and rebuild tractor and test.

Yesterday I got my coloured certificate through the post. Another one to put up in the Farmall A shed. In fact if it stays dry might get plugs and points cleaned today get her started and take the A for a run in preparation for the local Deeside Steam and Vintage show in two weeks time.

07082010005.jpg

• 1 month later...