Mamod Steam Models

BC

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrap some tape around it and jam it on Bill.... it's not as if it's going to let you down half way home or anything really  :-\

Or... take the shaft off an get it knurled by someone with a lathe perhaps  :-\

Oh Me Lordie knurling sounds painful and well it would detract from originality and probably devalue the selling price...I mean old Fred's roller ..." did u like that" Betsy sold for £ 240k plus buyers premium at 10% plus VAT... so what will BC's aka Britain's Collector Mamod make ???:-\

I have used it Bill, on brass. Started messing with something which as per I never finished  ::) I can get it here in town, it isn't expensive at all, no. Want me to get some for you?

Alternatively, Halfords have been known to stock it.

Or http://www.frost.co.uk/result_search.asp.

Or http://jbweldadhesives.co.uk/about%20us.html

Oh Me Lordie knurling sounds painful and well it would detract from originality and probably devalue the selling price...I mean old Fred's roller ..." did u like that" Betsy sold for £ 240k plus buyers premium at 10% plus VAT... so what will BC's aka Britain's Collector Mamod make ???:-\

No No No Uncle Bill.. knurling is not actually 'adding' to the material of the model.. and as it will be hidden it won't be visible to the new owner either... it will be our secret.. er..... on this public board with millions of page views per month  :-[

Damn... I knew there was a flaw in my plan  :-[

I have used it Bill, on brass. Started messing with something which as per I never finished  ::) I can get it here in town, it isn't expensive at all, no. Want me to get some for you?

Alternatively, Halfords have been known to stock it.

Or http://www.frost.co.uk/result_search.asp.

Or http://jbweldadhesives.co.uk/about%20us.html

Thanks for the offer Tris but I'm sure I will get locally if I decide to use that for the repair job.

As this is an older engine, the flywheel was only pressed on; i know loads of people in the steam world and all they've done is put a bit of super glue on the shaft. Today the new ones have a little screw in them.

I did wonder about Super glue but then wondered how it reacted to heat since that shaft can get quite hot. Anyway thanks to all who have offered suggestions. It's make my mind up time now :-\ :-\

Still see loads of the Mamod steam stuff around here at the toy fairs but it does not seem to sell, perhaps it's because they want too much money and there are very few boxed. I see that there are loads of spare parts available for them on eBay and you can even buy a set of rubber tyres for them now. I bought an example of the TE1A steam tractor a few years ago at a local fair, it was not boxed but in mint and never been fired up condition. Later fairs I added to it by buying the plastic water filling funnel and the 'puppet' steering rod plus two original boxes of the burning tablets, on mine you can use either the tablets or liquid methalated spirits, the tablets are the same thing as modern firelighters. All the steam stuff now is Wilesco from Germany.

Forgot to say, Bill, coat the end of the shaft in solder, only needs to be a little, that would probably hold the fly on.

• 2 weeks later...

I might just invest in one yet Tim since I really like any old fairground attraction or fair ground organ ;) ;)

A couple of videos from our local steam rally at Castle Fraser near Kemnay Aberdeenshire

th_19062010132.jpg

th_19062010133.jpg