Mamod Steam Models

BC

The subject of Fred Dibnah's steam roller Betsy came up at work after the recent sale and that got me thinking I must look out my Mamod steam engine from when I was a youngster.

A spreadsheet told me it was in Blue topped Tough crate B in the loft.

08082010001.jpg

08082010002.jpg

08082010003.jpg

08082010004.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were brilliant working models Mark. I also made a bench thing from meccano to resemble a saw bench and drove it off the fly wheel.

I must get her steamed up this week.

Hey we could hold a FTF model steam rally ;) ;)

thanks for the pictures Bill, that has brought back the memories i had the same one sadly i cant remember what happened to it?

I remember my dad showing me how to steam it up and saying dont get drinking this meths otherwise you will end up a tramp.

Oh that is a shame you let that one away Simon. Yours like mine must have been a older one that used liquid meths.

Nought wrong with meths they made the later ones more user freindly for the tramps in tablet form ;D ;D

When I got home this afternoon I decided I must go and steam up the old engine. I decided that where meths was involved I had better go to the garage and not the kitchen as I used to do when I stayed with the folks at Peterculter ;) ;)

I boiled the kettle and set up two Screwfix workmates with a kitchen top on top.,filled up the burner with meths I had in tool / paint and in flammables shed and once boiling water added set fire to the burner.

Oh it did bring back memories of the smell ;D ;D

Once up to steam it did run then the flywheel came loose on the shaft >:( >:(

I now remembered why this toy was finally laid up ;) ;)

Anyway here is a wee video I took of her first steam up in what I would say could be 30 to 35 years ago...it certainly has not been steamed in the 23 years I have lived here in Drumoak :-[:-[

th_09082010010.jpg

I still prefer the whistle of Mike Drellan's galloper's though ;D ;D

th_19062010132.jpg

I was a little disappointed that I was unable to drive my "saw bench"

09082010003.jpg

09082010004.jpg

Also metal fatigue in one of the rear wheels :-\ :-\

09082010005.jpg

09082010006.jpg

Now I don't know if its just the cast hole that been worn out a bit

09082010007.jpg

Would not have thought it was the shaft that had worn

09082010008.jpg

I don't know the best way to fix this....any good engineers on here with thought.

Some of my thoughts were

Some form of locktite that withstands heat but that is kind of a permanent fix

Bore and tap a tiny set stud in the flywheel but that detracts from originality

09082010009.jpg

I don't know James. What I'm thinking is I'll have a word with a mate of my dad's "Big Dod". He was a retire mechanic but he has loads of engineering skills too. he once made a needle for the float of my MG2. if there is anyone who can fix it i bet my cotton socks Big Dob will do it ;) ;)