Front Mounted Hay Rake

An Interested Spectator

I remember seeing something in classic tractor (I think :P ) like this, the guy had a rake on the front of his Case CVX and a baler behind, pros would be less fuel, less labour and less time, cons a lot longer and maybe less easy to move?

i wouldnt have thought it would be any less movable than say a plough and front press, seed tank stuff like that, but i guess the drive for the rake would need reversing??? as clearly they are built for rear fitting and the tines would go the wrong way? surprised its not been done wy before this as it must save fuel and time overall??

I am sure that I saw something like this many years ago with a Lely Acrobat rake on the front of a tractor putting 2 rows into one and a baler behind. It seems like a good idea so I don't know why it didn't catch on.

I know of a chap who used a V-rake on the front of a tractor with a bigbaler on the rear. From watching and seeing it I thought it was primitive and a bit rubbish actually. It looked like hard work in the corners and awkward on the road. A front mounted rake like this sticks out a long way further than your usual front mounted implement.

• 2 weeks later...