classic masseys....

cyrilhanna

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

27102010.jpg

I know this is a classic Massey topic but I noticed what is a very rare Turner Yeoman of England tractor in there. They were made from 1949 to 1957 and had a V4diesel engine. They were said to be bad starters and suffered from other reliability problems with  the result many were scrapped. A very rare tractor these days and restored ones tend to command high prices.

Some nice old MF iron in that selection... The MF11 was a popular loading shovel in its time... all around the world as well. I've got a box full of badges for the MF11 in my garage - cast, very heavy with bolts welded to the back of them (all original)

Thanks for sharing

Corrr, there's some nice yellow ones in there. That industrial loader is an interesting machine, not see one of them before. A lovely 26 you caught there too, that'll be worth a few bob that one.

• 4 weeks later...

here is some of the claasic massey at the whole crop this week.......080820111522.jpg      in the line up is a 590 595 1135 1155 1200 1250 1250 2680 and a 6480 on the half pipe and not til for get the 290 and the 298 in the pit.............what a day of rare classics working......

the 1155 in your pic is the tractor i used to drive as a lad...i remember rotavating with her on a howard 120" rotavator and at a time she was one of the biggest mf,s around..the owner also used to cut silage with the 1155 driving a new holland 717 super precision chop..i will never forget drawing from her in a 595 with the 1155 side filling,the roar of the perkins v8 is a sound i will always remember........never thought id see her again

its certainly nice to see the local tractors that once the biggest farmers in our area worked with....we were lucky to have such big mf,s way back in the 70,s and 80,s working in this area......one family ( the EDGARS) had a 1155(the one in the picture) and a 1135....100yards down the road was MC GLUE who had a 1135,1200,1250 and a large number of the 500 series, then 3 mile away we had WJ HANNA who owned a 1155....these big 1135 and 1155s were bought for use on howard 120" heavy duty rotavators and in edgars case for silage cutting also.....as the quest for power grew in the mid 70,s so too did mf,s offerings in their range,indeed the 1155 was a very powerful tractor for its day,and i do remember the owners of them all telling me the 1135 was the pick of the 2..the v8 engine in the 1155 had to be worked almost full open to obtain good torque and was thirsty,it also gave notorious niggling problems from what i remember,mainly minor cooling issues and vibrating injector pipes,i remember how hot the engine was in the 1155 when cutting silage or rotavating all day,i seen the 1155 on the 120" howard rotavating in front of a faun planter with the depth wheels screwed up full and the rotavator working down 10-12inches of heavy land to create a seedbed and boy did that rotavator soak up all the tractor could give her,the sound and the constant snore of that engine working hard was music to the ears......the 1135 i never had the pleasure of driving but owners reports never included an engine fault,the smooth 6 cylinder wasnt as entertaining as the v8 but was a lot more reliable and supposedly easy on fuel.great pictures

its certainly nice to see the local tractors that once the biggest farmers in our area worked with....we were lucky to have such big mf,s way back in the 70,s and 80,s working in this area......one family ( the EDGARS) had a 1155(the one in the picture) and a 1135....100yards down the road was MC GLUE who had a 1135,1200,1250 and a large number of the 500 series, then 3 mile away we had WJ HANNA who owned a 1135....these big 1135 and 1155s were bought for use on howard 120" heavy duty rotavators and in edgars case for silage cutting also.....as the quest for power grew in the mid 70,s so too did mf,s offerings in their range,indeed the 1155 was a very powerful tractor for its day,and i do remember the owners of them all telling me the 1135 was the pick of the 2..the v8 engine in the 1155 had to be worked almost full open to obtain good torque and was thirsty,it also gave notorious niggling problems from what i remember,mainly minor cooling issues and vibrating injector pipes,i remember how hot the engine was in the 1155 when cutting silage or rotavating all day,i seen the 1155 on the 120" howard rotavating in front of a faun planter with the depth wheels screwed up full and the rotavator working down 10-12inches of heavy land to create a seedbed and boy did that rotavator soak up all the tractor could give her,the sound and the constant snore of that engine working hard was music to the ears......the 1135 i never had the pleasure of driving but owners reports never included an engine fault,the smooth 6 cylinder wasnt as entertaining as the v8 but was a lot more reliable and supposedly easy on fuel.great pictures

:of :of :of :of :of BOR you know your stuff ha ha! it must of been great to work with this kind of machines back then i wish the would make a machine that could time travel  :( i know what time time i would be heading back to  ;D

here is a few more pictures for some how iv a lot more videos than pictures so will post them later.........trust me bob you will get till watch them working.........

Keep the pictures coming Cyril  thats a big Kane on that MF1135  it must be 14-16 ton ???

it would be nice to see some MF300 and a MF3000 carting in aswell but keep up the good work Cyril  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

bor knows his stuff his blood is massey red!!!!!!!!!!!!  thats a 14 tonne kane on the 1135 i was going til draw with the 16 tonne half pipe with the 2680 but i took fear when i saw it!!!!!!!!the yard we were drawing out of had a brave hill and then out on til the main road so if i had til stop i think her front wheels would of been in the air...which has happen before with no weights......the photos where at my fathers in laws....thought it would be a good chance til get a few local masseys working in a video......

a wee place in northern ireland called kilkeel in the 80s around kilkeel there was a lot of spud men and a lot of them had masseys.....where a lived on that road in one year all the farms got new masseys they were a 565 575 590  these two went til one farm 590 595 all dairy farmers on this road....

a wee place in northern ireland called kilkeel in the 80s around kilkeel there was a lot of spud men and a lot of them had masseys.....where a lived on that road in one year all the farms got new masseys they were a 565 575 590  these two went til one farm 590 595 all dairy farmers on this road....

massey capital then cryil,3 farms around me in the seventies all had masseys,one farm,1x 135,2x 575's second farm,mf 590 and 135,3rd farm 135 and a 575,one farm still runs all massseys,one other runs no masseys know and the third farm,the farmer has retired and rents out the land,but he still has the 135 in a shed with 1 375 and 1 390, that replaced the 575's,i posted a picture on here ,i will try to find it cryil

most of the farmers in kilkeel in the 70,s were potato growers,although based in kilkeel they always favoured the richer heavier land outside downpatrick some 25 miles away,this led to some having lorries to haul and others using their mf,s as road trains....the 500 series was debuted at balmoral show 1976 and a local dealer( thompson reid) got booked out with orders that took them late november filling....1976 was a big potato year with high prices after the dry summer(£250 a ton) and kilkeel came alive with brand new 500 series and half a dozen 1135/1155...mf were favoured because of the previous reliabilty of the 100 series and also many growers told me of their fondness of the low mounted pto shaft meaning that when the rotavator was working the pto shaft was straight as opposed to working at an angle....the 80 loader that was an option was a vast improvement over the old 40 that had disastrous shear bolts,the 80 loaders were a massive step forward and were a superb loader....90% of the potato men had an all mf fleet.....the 70,s was a time of all manufacturers trying to acheive a reliable clutchless gearshift and multi power certainly wasnt favoured in kilkeel mainly due to farmers being hard to accept a new concept....and it was troublesome alright and again mainly due to operator misuse...i think ford got it more right than anyone with their dual power but then the unreliable engine blocks soon earned a bad name locally and farmers tended to stick to the triple triangle badge

found them cyril

very clean looking tractors they would be worth a few pound.....my father in law had a 398 she had a black cab with a red roof think they came out before the hiline cab......she when on fire one day and burned her self out....a commom problem i have saw a few burned out....

Archived