Cellulose thinners

catkom3

Question

5 answers to this question

You can use cellulose thinners only with a cellulose based paint or primer/undercoat. If you use it to thin enamel paint it will all turn to a thick jelly. You can however use a cellulose based primer/ undercoat with an enamel top coat providing you allow the primer/undercoat to 'cure' before aplying the top coat. If you use an enamel primer/undercoat you can't use a cellulose based top coat on it as it will react with the primer/undercoat and you end up with a surface like you've just brushed over with paint stripper. Enamel paints are oil based. If you're unsure as to the base of any paint, lift the lid and take in a good nosefull of the smell of it, if it smells like paraffin then it's oil based, if it makes you cough and splutter, burns your nose and takes your breath away then it's cellulose.

I have been told from a couple of folk who are in the restoration business / hobby you can use "cell" thinners when spraying with synthetic enamel paint.They tell me it is just like a "fast" (quick drying thinners). Personally I have never tried it but if it works then it would be far cheaper than buying the proper "fast" thinners.