Anyone watching eBay?

fred

I would say go find a few on eBay, put them in your watch and see what they make and have a look to see what the ones in 'buy it now' listing are up for. Take note of the post and packing charges as well as this can add conciderably to the price but if you're selling you can just use as a guide. Dont forget your listing and end fees which can be as much as 8% on items below around £500.

Best way to find out is to use the advanced search and tick the box that says 'Completed Listings', this will bring up all the items that have finished in the last 30 days, whether they sold or not and how much they sold for. Also looking at current Buy It Now listings as powerrabbit says is a good guide, but bear in mind that many of these items are way overpriced, and your item will not make as much in an auction.

Dont forget your listing and end fees which can be as much as 8% on items below around £500.

eBay changed their fee system one around a little while ago - for private sellers starting an auction style listing at 99p, there is now no insertion fee, and you can insert one picture for free.

Final value fees for private sellers are now a blanket 10%, up to a maximum fee of £40 on any one item; ie. the fee on an item selling for £400 or more will be £40 (apart from listings in 'eBay Motors' which have a different fee structure)

Fees for business sellers are more complicated, and vary from one category to another, but in general the listing fees are higher than for private sales, and the final value fees are lower.

To be honest, unless you have a rare issue which is in demand, reselling recent issues is almost certain to make a loss after taking into account fees and non recoverable costs (such as travelling miles to the nearest PO!). 

I really only watch Britains, but eBay prices have been very erratic recently (though the prices realised are generally a lot lower than a year ago).  There have been some real bargains on older items, but sometimes they attract the attention of a number of bidders and sell for over  the odds.  Genuinely rare and desirable, or well hyped items still go for silly money.  I have also noticed that in general, 'Buy It Now' prices for older Britains are way over the top, and they never sell - certain sellers have had the same items going round and round on constant relisting for over a year or more (you'd think they would have cottoned on by now!)

eBay changed their fee system one around a little while ago - for private sellers starting an auction style listing at 99p, there is now no insertion fee, and you can insert one picture for free.

Final value fees for private sellers are now a blanket 10%, up to a maximum fee of £40 on any one item; ie. the fee on an item selling for £400 or more will be £40 (apart from listings in 'eBay Motors' which have a different fee structure)

Fees for business sellers are more complicated, and vary from one category to another, but in general the listing fees are higher than for private sales, and the final value fees are lower.

To be honest, unless you have a rare issue which is in demand, reselling recent issues is almost certain to make a loss after taking into account fees and non recoverable costs (such as travelling miles to the nearest PO!). 

I really only watch Britains, but eBay prices have been very erratic recently (though the prices realised are generally a lot lower than a year ago).  There have been some real bargains on older items, but sometimes they attract the attention of a number of bidders and sell for over  the odds.  Genuinely rare and desirable, or well hyped items still go for silly money.  I have also noticed that in general, 'Buy It Now' prices for older Britains are way over the top, and they never sell - certain sellers have had the same items going round and round on constant relisting for over a year or more (you'd think they would have cottoned on by now!)

totally agree,still cant beat the toy fair for purchasing obsolete items,have a browse first then a bit of bartering - cant beat it

Most things are overpriced on ebay compareds to most sellers shops, suppose its to cover fees. The whole hype that there'll be no more 7810s until next summer and theyre all sold out is starting to sound like lies, for every shop seems to have a good selection of them left. Id prefer to sell stuff through the forums even if you still have to use paypal, you can afford to take a fair bit less when fleabay isnt taking a large percentage, but thats auctions for you, online or otherwise.

The only things i buy of it are parts for conversions, as they can be bought cheap

The only things i would sell are finished conversion as, it get more buyers aware of the conversion as i dont sell too many, otherwise id just start my own site

I am assuming you mean the UH Ford 7810?

If so, it is hardly rare; they have already made thousands.  There are currently 9 standard coloured ones and 11 silver jubilee ones available to the UK on eBay, most of them in the UK or Germany, and priced at or below recommended retail  ;) 

although everyone is right, i think "fred" doesnt want to sell a Universal Hobbies 7810, but the pewter 7810(he has one without the plaque) that was given by dealers to farmers that purchased the real thing. That model is a rarity in itself and would definately attract a number of bidders. I am not sure it would make silly money though as it is not complete and most collector's are fussy about that!