MF165/175/178 Discussion (split from new UH 2011 topic)

MB Trac

shame its not a 165, but hey ho, it looks great, not sure on the patv wheels, most i know or see have normal 135 style hubs on, but i can live with that, if its on dispaly the weight transfer will come off, never seen that fitted on a 100 series yet

Mabye if the tyres can be removed a nice set of standard wheels could be made  ;D

the original 175 was launched in 1964 and the basic equipment was PAVT wheels12x36 or 15x30 or 11x38 and 12x38,cast centres,power steering,diff lock,heavy duty front axle,cushion seat,dual clutch and live pto,ground speed and engine pto,vertical exhaust and handbrake...Ordinary steel wheels werent even an option...But there was a 175s introduced,not sure what year but they came on all steel wheels,15x30 or 12x38 only....i have never seen one of these apart from in books etc....it had the more modern plastic headlight surrounds as opposed to the older aluminium type.....but all early UK examples had pavt wheels unless the owner changed them along the way..the problem that pavt wheels created that i remember was they were harder on the clutch understandibly and if  the variable track was not used often the lugs would seize on the running irons....also were a nightmare when changing a wheel as they weighted a ton.. Although the 178 was introduced as a replacement for the 175 i always felt that the closest you would get to a 175 was a 168 as it carried the same a4.236 engine and the 178 had the 248....but ive used the 175 and indeed the later 168 multi power tractors and the 168 didnt just have what the 175 had in terms of grunt and grip,i always put this down to the heavier pavt rims on the 175...the difference they made ploughing was tremendous....

i know our mk 1 165 had patv wheels, but all mk 2's i have seen have been fitted with the bigger 135 style wheel hubs,  i know our mk2 165 was for sure and every other i have seen has been for sure

the early 165's (AD4.203 engine... exhaust on the left)... has the MKII 65 rims mate... domed rims that were 'doubly adjustable'... later 165's (212 engine... exhaust on right) has pressed steels by makers GKN Sankey.

Brian... the last of the 175's had pressed steels as well... and the steering control arm was lowered as it appeared on a 178 (it's nearer the bonnet on an early 175)...

Thats a very interesting picture Sean... she's an early model going by the red front wheels too...

Now then... a bit of homework for you.. The VERY first 175's and 165's had the lower bonnet panel painted in Grey (making it a two-tone bonnet)... this is a little known fact and it would be a SUPER rare find to get either a 175 or 165 with this early bonnet colour..

I've nevr seen one myself.. my mate (who I was apprecticed too at MF in the early 80's) has only ever clapped eyes on one.. and it was a 175  :of

165.jpg

165_2.jpg

never seen that before, going by the picture the paints to faded to see if thats the case on that picture i posted, certainly doesnt look like it, got a old 135 red hubs and round archs picture to, thats got to be a year or two older,

can honestly say that pictures the only lambourne cabbed 165 i have seen to, dont really remember it like that,

just noticed your bigger wheels comment to, that would make sence, all our tractors ran on the same size rears, even the 1200 then 1250, the soil was very flinty so punctures were pretty common, so we always had 2 or 3 outer rims with tyres sat waiting to save down time

One of the farms I worked on in the late 70's had a Lambourn cabbed version, can't say it was my favourite place to spend the day, noisy and draughty springs to mind. Other than that I quite liked the 165's, easy to drive and well set out. I always found the tractormeter to be a bit inaccurate though, I never quite trusted the speed ratings.

I used one on a sprayer for a while and you had to set the sprayer pressure and the forward speed of the tractor to get the right application rates, I always ran out of spray before the end of the field  :-\ :-\ :( :( :( :(

never looked at the speedo, it was mostly yard work for ours, and grain hauling when  i was round meaning one of the 500's then 600's could be used to start the baling, so the hours kept low, was real minter when it went in 99,

only really remember lambournes on 135's truth be known, seen a few of those, did know of a fiberglassed 165 up that way to, think it was on ebay a while back, anyway wheels, if mines a early one, would it have had the front wheel weights on it?? or is that a later addition??

Would be nice to trace them both mate... I'd love to get the serial numbers from them and check them both out.

Now.. back to the 175... in Germany the number 175 was associated in some way (never was good at History.. think it's something to do with the Luftwaffe) ... so it was (allegedly) deemed inappropriate to have a tractor with that number.. the result was that the MF175 was re-badged the MF177 for the German makket  - not sure quite how true that is... but like all things in life... just repeating what I was told  :-\

MF177_Page_01.jpg