Barn door hinges

mrol

Question

I'm creating a traditional East Anglian black, weather boarded barn with a set of huge barn doors. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could use as hinges for these? They are aprox 17.5cm high and 6.5 cm wide....

9 answers to this question

Can you post up a picture please? Also have a look at Leverets Farm in the farm layout board and have a scan through for my black weather boarded granary. It may even come up in the Search box if you try 'granary'. I scratch made 12 hinges for the shed.

Here are a couple of pics. It isn't (or meant to be) 100% accurately built (i.e. an exact replica) - just looking to create something half decent for a new layout slowly starting to take shape in the attic. I think I've also got some of the proportions a bit wrong for a timber framed barn - it should probably be less deep with a more steeply pitched roof!

Any photos of the brass and tube hinges?

post-2468-132639671698_thumb.jpg

post-2468-132639671702_thumb.jpg

post-2468-132639671706_thumb.jpg

I meant of the door hinges you are trying to replicate but the photos of your work are just as nice  :) :)

Are you trying to make anything like this? If so, all it is Plastruct 3,2mm angle for the hinge plate, drill a hole in each surface and glue in place a piece of plastic coated wire. One is the hinge, the other you glue into a predrilled hole in the door frame. The hinge on the door as just very thin aluminium, cut into a strip and with the end curled around on itself. Hope this helps.

post-227-132639672222_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639672226_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639672277_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639672281_thumb.jpg