Would this be a good idea?

Jdeere6910

So at the end of this month my stepdads birthday is coming up, not a significant one, however by the time the big 50 comes up I will be at uni (hopefully)

thinking about all he has done for me I want to buy him a decent present  ;D  I have some substantial savings collected through work and was thinking about buying a classic tractor for him  :D

I was thinking a £2000 limit but may extend to £2500

I would like to buy him something that he remembers as a youngster, something like an international 414/434 or leyland/nuffield

Ideally I would like something in off farm condition thats not knackered but something that he can meddle and tart up

So... the classic enthusiasts of the forum I need your help

1) Is this a smart idea or should I forget it  ::):P

2) Given the criteria and price what would you recommend?

3) Where would be best to source the tractor from? eg Is eBay a smart option? I have looked at CT also and there is a collective machinery sae tonight so will look for inspiration there

Thank you for your ideas in advance, Im still unsure on what to do yet so any ideas would be welcomed  ;D

P.s Mods- Im not sure if this is in the right area or not  :-\  please move if it isnt

Are you really, really sure he'd want a classic tractor? Does he have one or more already? (i.e. Is he a collector?) 

Just checking that you're sure you're buying it because it's something he'd like rather than something you'd like.

It would be a very expensive mistake if he doesn't really want one.

I speak from the heart on this, as my now deceased dad was such a different person to me (we had completely different interests), that very few presents we gave each other were things either of us really wanted. But then, mine is a very dysfunctional family.

Are you really, really sure he'd want a classic tractor? Does he have one or more already? (i.e. Is he a collector?) 

Just checking that you're sure you're buying it because it's something he'd like rather than something you'd like.

It would be a very expensive mistake if he doesn't really want one.

I speak from the heart on this, as my now deceased dad was such a different person to me (we had completely different interests), that very few presents we gave each other were things either of us really wanted. But then, mine is a very dysfunctional family.

Thank you for the reply David, and yes he keeps looking to buy a classic but he keeps putting it off. He really likes classic tractors but he doesnt own one (except the hydro84 we have on the farm) especially doing little jobs on the tractors  :)  we did look at buying one a few years ago but he decided that we didnt have the money to buy one, but I now have the funds to do it  :)  also by buying the type of tractor we looked at it could do jobs around the yard as well

That's OK then. I just thought it worth putting in 'reality check' comment regarding the general idea, before you guys start discussing which tractor in particular, and where to buy one from.

As it will be used around the farm, I imagine it won't be too ancient then, such as presumably with a cab for safety and with appropriate linkages to fit modern implements.

Thank you again David, as I say we have looked at one before but discarded the idea on funding, if we buy a classic it would mainly be used for towing a little weeks trailer and for a bit of fun, not really any heavier jobs because we run larger equpitment.

The thinking was something such as an inty 434 or a leyland 245 as we have looked at those in the past and we used to own both of them in the past

Just give him the money, that way he will be able to make up his own mind and purchase what he wants, that way there are no arguments and no dissapointments.  ;)

Tim- Great idea and would work in theory, but he wouldnt take the money  ::):P

Sean- Thats a pretty good idea, only trouble is farm sales round us dont usually have much and the local collective is all scrap  :P

thanks for all the replies folks, going to have a think about what to do and see what makes the most sense  ;D

you could always do a weekend trip to cheffins as a birthday surprise then spring it on him?? its not to far from yorkshire, and i asume you have access to a trailer and a landy or similar to tow it back with a day or two later?

If you can obtain his bank details discreetly, pay it into his account and put the paying in slip receipt in his birthday card, that would be one way of MAKING him accept the money. ??? There's always more than one way of skinning a cat!

Sean- I like that idea a lot, we do have a 4wd and trailer as well  ;D  however it will have to wait til at least july because I have exams until then  :-\

Tim- Youhave made me determined to find a way now  :P

i recon if you tell him about the trip to the cheffins auction, but explain the late reasons he would understand , afterall hes not expecting the real present as in buying a classic if you find what your looking for, the hard bit would be explaining why your dragging a trailer down with you???

3) Where would be best to source the tractor from? eg Is eBay a smart option? I have looked at CT also and there is a collective machinery sae tonight so will look for inspiration there

P.s Mods- Im not sure if this is in the right area or not  :-\  please move if it isnt

Having brought a few bits off ebay ,ALWAYS go and have a look at what you are thinking of buying. Things have a habit of photographing better than the actuall condition. Though viewing is best to test all the mechanical stuff as well. You need to make sure the seller is a genuine one as well. ( not the ones who have their mates bid things up  >:(  ) It can be a smart idea it just realy depends what you want you could buy something one week & a better one comes on the next week  :-\  so it can be abit of a waiting game.

Overall though sounds like a realy nice idea  ;)  hope you find what you are after  :)

Thanks for the eBay advice Taz5, thats what worried me was the sellers description vs actual condition but maybe its not too bad  ;D

Thanks again Sean, your advice is really giving me some good ideas about what to do  :D

Ebay comments are very valid. 90% of tractors I have viewed on there are in reality only fit for their sum total in parts and you can pay a lot of money for scrap. As Sean says, always inspect in the flesh and not be in too much of a rush as the right one is always out there somewhere. If you go to a sale, let him decide, then you can do the bidding.

So at the end of this month my stepdads birthday is coming up, not a significant one, however by the time the big 50 comes up I will be at uni (hopefully)

thinking about all he has done for me I want to buy him a decent present  ;D  I have some substantial savings collected through work and was thinking about buying a classic tractor for him  :D

I was thinking a £2000 limit but may extend to £2500

I would like to buy him something that he remembers as a youngster, something like an international 414/434 or leyland/nuffield

Ideally I would like something in off farm condition thats not knackered but something that he can meddle and tart up

So... the classic enthusiasts of the forum I need your help

1) Is this a smart idea or should I forget it  ::):P

2) Given the criteria and price what would you recommend?

Thank you for your ideas in advance, Im still unsure on what to do yet so any ideas would be welcomed  ;D

This may sound a little blunt but I mean it in the nicest possible way.

If I were a father and had any idea my son was thinking of this I'd slap him!  :laugh: If my son had saved up thousands of pounds all by himself and was due to join university soon I'd be very proud of him, so proud of him infact that the last person I would want him spending his money on would be me. Any father wants the best for the children, to make their own way in life, do things on their own, make and learn from mistakes and always exceed what themselves as fathers have achieved I would have thought.

You've saved this money up Pat and you'll need every penny of it. It isn't selfish to keep it to yourself mate, you're young and the old money tree doesn't flower like it should do any more. I'm sure your Dad will be far happier, proud and satisfied to see you spend it wisely and think to himself "that's my boy" than have such an expensive present from you. The older you get, the less time you'll spend with your Dad, it's only natural. Time, more valuable than any present mate. My Dad thinks much more of us having time together than any present.

Just a thought from another perspective albeit a mainly hypothetical one.  :)

Have to agree with Tris on that one, it really is a very lovely thoughtfull idea, but if you are serious about uni you will need every penny you have plus thousands more. Save up and buy him a tractor when you have done uni, got yourself a good job and can afford to.

yes i have to agree as well. look go to uni come back and then you and your dad buy somthing so you and him can work on together and spend time together i wish me and my dad could spend more time together like work together but our farm isnt big enoff  :(