What's your favourite make of tractor?

JoshParkinson

This thread needs a poll ;)

A lot of the manufacturers have upped their game the last few years in looks and performance wise but for me it's between Fendt,New Holland John Deere and Case IH

The John Deere just shades it only because I drove one on Friday and it surpassed everything else I've sat in although I'm sure that will all change again in the future  ;D

Fendt man myself nothing else compares for comfort operation and smoothness just price tag is a pity but gotta pay to have the features.  Oh and the best vario gearbox on the market tried all and none compare closest is Case CVX

Fendt man myself nothing else compares for comfort operation and smoothness just price tag is a pity but gotta pay to have the features.  Oh and the best vario gearbox on the market tried all and none compare closest is Case CVX

i have to admit fendt are brilliant tractors, but i would say second to fendts vario gearbox would be New Holland Auto Command, i'm not a fan of John Deere autopowr i much prefer their powerquad gearbox.

For me has to be John Deere also , although i have never realy used any other brands so couldent write them off completely. Although i am a fan of some of the older Fords & of course David Brown  8)

Well though I have driven a lot of tractors I do love John Deeres  ;D  the power, powrquad box's and generall well madeness is what I like

Fergie pretty much got it right with the 6290 I have to admit, it just feels "right" as a tractor 

Well though I have driven a lot of tractors I do love John Deeres  ;D  the power, powrquad box's and generall well madeness is what I like

Fergie pretty much got it right with the 6290 I have to admit, it just feels "right" as a tractor

What are you on Pat we used to have a 6270 and it was noisy, rattled like anything, and drank fuel like there was no tomorrow, even though they do sound really nice, it won't beat the sound of a JD 6920s going up through the powerquad shifts, that sound could make a man go weak at the knees!  :laugh:

What are you on Pat we used to have a 6270 and it was noisy, rattled like anything, and drank fuel like there was no tomorrow, even though they do sound really nice, it won't beat the sound of a JD 6920s going up through the powerquad shifts, that sound could make a man go weak at the knees!  :laugh:

We have a 6290 at work, and she is a good tractor, specc'd up well though, and a lot better than the 64's we have, and the problems with them  ::)

We have a 6290 at work, and she is a good tractor, specc'd up well though, and a lot better than the 64's we have, and the problems with them  ::)

Ahh yeah, the 6270 was my tractor even though i never liked her, the boss thought it would be alright to not have suspension on it, yeah and then i spent 18 hours discing heavy land and then couldn't walk properly for 2 days afterwards, it was short wheelbase as well so it just seemed to feel the bumps more than our 6465 which was normal wheelbase, and i found myself having to fill up with diesel often, and i'm not sure whether it was bad fuel consumption or it was a small fuel tank, and then in the end it had a lot of fuel trouble, so that's when we bought the Claas Arion 640, got told by the boss it was going to be my tractor since it replaced my tractor, went in a few days later and i was told to go on the 6465 because the other lad had claimed the claas and was telling everybody it was his, that was one of the reasons i left, i'm starting to regret it now though because i'm really, really, really, REALLY starting to miss farming  :-\

for me it would be Case particularly the CVX and the 55 series the 55 series have such a whistle out of the exhaust and they are raw power but i do like fendts  ;D:D;)

The Puma CVX's seem nice, but I think joint second for me would be Fendt and New Holland

Well I dont want to start a colour war or anything but our 6290 has been much more reliable than our 6485 and 6490's. And it gets a lot more work then they do

yeah, there's a 6290 round here which is like that and she's a beast you can hear her purring for miles away, but then there's others which i've seen getting sold only a couple of years old, as with every tractor, it's luck of the draw as to whether you're going to get problems or not

for me it would be Case particularly the CVX and the 55 series the 55 series have such a whistle out of the exhaust and they are raw power but i do like fendts  ;D:D;)

Then you must surely have liked my video of the CVX 1190? ???

i have to admit fendt are brilliant tractors, but i would say second to fendts vario gearbox would be New Holland Auto Command, i'm not a fan of John Deere autopowr i much prefer their powerquad gearbox.

It is good but few features I personally don't like and not proven like vario yet know of fair few that are troublesome!  Dont get me started on JD autopower had many run in's with green blooded people that cant see beyond there nose how rubbish it is for a gearbox! I prefer there autoquad as wel

Ahh yeah, the 6270 was my tractor even though i never liked her, the boss thought it would be alright to not have suspension on it, yeah and then i spent 18 hours discing heavy land and then couldn't walk properly for 2 days afterwards, it was short wheelbase as well so it just seemed to feel the bumps more than our 6465 which was normal wheelbase, and i found myself having to fill up with diesel often, and i'm not sure whether it was bad fuel consumption or it was a small fuel tank, and then in the end it had a lot of fuel trouble, so that's when we bought the Claas Arion 640, got told by the boss it was going to be my tractor since it replaced my tractor, went in a few days later and i was told to go on the 6465 because the other lad had claimed the claas and was telling everybody it was his, that was one of the reasons i left, i'm starting to regret it now though because i'm really, really, really, REALLY starting to miss farming  :-\

My tractors would would be MF399 with TB Turbo our MF3085 and a MF6290 just the sound of the MF6290 and MF399 Turbo the sound of that Turbo when you change gear or let her off on the throttle  ;D ;D ;D ;D

as for the MF 6270 josh the wheel base on it isn't far off the MF6465 and don't take this the wrong way guys and i don't want this to turn into a fight but my the hell do you need suspension what did they do years ago that whats wrong with young tractor drivers spoiled ha ha!

just sitting on pushing a buttons not my thing that's not driving to me

Changing gears double clutching feeling the ground your on feeling the way your tractors work using your brains to drive.

try carting in silage with 8 ton trailers on very steep ground with no trailer brakes and driving 2wd tractors like DB 996s and MF185,290s and 390Ts  all 2wd

sorry for my rant but though i had to say it  ;D

My tractors would would be MF399 with TB Turbo our MF3085 and a MF6290 just the sound of the MF6290 and MF399 Turbo the sound of that Turbo when you change gear or let her off on the throttle  ;D ;D ;D ;D

as for the MF 6270 josh the wheel base on it isn't far off the MF6465 and don't take this the wrong way guys and i don't want this to turn into a fight but my the hell do you need suspension what did they do years ago that whats wrong with young tractor drivers spoiled :)

just sitting on pushing a buttons not my thing that's not driving to me

Changing gears double clutching feeling the ground your on feeling the way your tractors work using your brains to drive.

try carting in silage with 8 ton trailers on very steep ground with no trailer brakes and driving 2wd tractors like DB 996s and MF185,290s and 390Ts  all 2wd

sorry for my rant but though i had to say it  ;D

Everybody says that when i say about how much i love suspension on tractors, and as for the 6270 and 6465, we had the 6270 put on a 60 inch wheelbase rather than the usual 72 inch, that was because it used to do the fertilizer spreading and because he used to do the spraying with an mf 590, it was easier for him to use 60 inch tramlines

i think you mean the wheel width josh not the wheelbase thats where im getting confused :)

the wheel base on a tractor is from back-end to front-end  :)

fair enough, i didn't want to say the wheel width in case you thought i meant the wheel width like the width of the wheels themselves

You say we dont need suspension on modern tractors that were spoilt but think how much more faster operations are being done these days were fert spreading and spraying at up to 18k, we have to run with min till cultivators at 12-14k to get the boil so to speak and add in 14-16hrs a day for months on end and a lot of modern tractors doing 2000+hrs a year and in my eyes suspension is vital if you want happy workers that dont start having bad backs etc

You say we dont need suspension on modern tractors that were spoilt but think how much more faster operations are being done these days were fert spreading and spraying at up to 18k, we have to run with min till cultivators at 12-14k to get the boil so to speak and add in 14-16hrs a day for months on end and a lot of modern tractors doing 2000+hrs a year and in my eyes suspension is vital if you want happy workers that dont start having bad backs etc

I agree with you there completely, the lad that drove the 6270 before me did long hours and he got a bad back and was off work for a while

Having used a tractor with front suspension & ones without , ide take the one with the front suspension any day ( unless it was some old beasty classic  ;)  ) its suprising how much of a difference it makes to the ride. I thought it wouldent make that much difference but hell it does, much better ride.  :) 

Ummm... I'm all for older tractors my favourite is a MF35, basic, simple and the best aircon god could provide..... but in regards to suspension we tend to send a topper over the rape stubbles as it smashes them up and they bury better, but flat out on something with no suspension did used to mean you'd need a kidney belt to keep you on the thing, since using a newer one with suspension its noticably different.... but then fields never used to be rolled as flat as they are now so the effect of suspension isnt appriciated as much by people, for me its more noticable on the road, just turn it off and you soon switch it back on. As for colour was everyone has their preference and tbh most are pretty much the same now adays , the brown in a deere makes me want to vomit, but they ae brilliant to drive. etc etc..

Everyone has their own opinion on the best make of tractor/machinery and it is often what they have grown up with or what suits their particular farming operation, it could even be just a prejudice that has been passed on to them by others.

From a Moderator point of view, whilst we do not wish to stifle good honest debate, we will not allow this to degenerate into a "colour war" and if that happens the topic will be locked and deleted.

I apologise if this seems heavy handed but as Ol says, we have had these topics before and tempers can get frayed.