Dan and the DB's

Dan

Been thinking of makeing this topic for a while now and as everyone else has been good enough to take time to make a topic & keep it updated thought i should do my bit  ;)

Well where to start, in 2009 i brought my first tractor a David Brown 880 selectamatic was an old scraper tractor i got from a local farm with the view of something to tinker with. Then in 2010 we brought another 880 ( my Dads ) the idea of this tractor was going to be a source of spares for the first tractor but it was decided it was to good to break. Then recently we brought another which is a DB 950 and a few more implements & things ive been able to get hold of  :)

First up some pictures from friday where i was just cutting some ground with my new ( to me ) kidd rotoflail  :D  on some grass that had got to long for my mums horses

006rs.jpg

004bi.jpg

picture004rp.jpg

I will upload some more pictures later on or maybe tomorrow of some other bits & bobs , but any questions please fire away  :)

Thanks , not sure realy that was the idea to start with, tractor on the Kidd is mine was good fun having it on that chopper nice to get it working  8)  be interesting to know what the recomended power for one of those is. The DB though i just have some wireing to sort then maybe a new bonnet or some skill & ide be leaving it as it is. Dads 880 we plan to restore but things keep getting in the way of that like me buying more implements  :-[  the red 950 we have no idea its abit of a state realy needs all new tin work. was abit of an impulse buy realy but we swapped the wheels of it onto mine which being ex sraper tractor wernt realy up to much.

cheers for the comments , had a few mins so thought i would upload some of the other stuff first up my little trailer brought of ebay as a frame wood was completly rotted & the hand tip seized, was given a lick of paint & some new boards & wheels  ;)

006utc.jpg

Next up is my new hay trailer brought of a local farmer who had been using it as a float trailer at the village show until the floor was deemed unsafe, & then it was parked up and left. Got it home stripped all the wood & then set about cleaning it up, dont know what paint that white is but it wouldent budge  :-\  got it all of in the end & then yesterday reboarded the trailer.  Still have some finnishing touches to add to it & hopefully a new set of wheels.

picture002nx.jpg

006zaw.jpg

Another topic I am going to enjoy, thanks for sharing.

The manual tip trailer looks interesting... and hard work too  :of  ... and you've done a good job of restoring that old carnival float too - fair play to you

Thanks  :)  yea its not that bad to tip realy althought ive never used it propperly, yea the float is actually a bamfords hay trailer from a time where little bales were common & a nice low trailer was needed to load them onto also why the floor slightly slopes into the middle ( realy it should be yellow but we thought red would suit the tractors & match my other trailer & i think it looks well in red )

Really looking forward to following your topic mate. Your 880 looks very tidy and really well suited to the Kidd Rotoflail. :)

Thank you nice of you to say ( not sure the David Brown pureists would agree though )  :laugh: , have a couple of pics from when i first brought it  :)  aye its a good match for the kidd in my opinion tractor itself isnt to big but then its not to small either.

couple of pics from when i got the tractor fist time it had been out the barn for a couple of years

picture1194.jpg

picture1197i.jpg

Then a couple of pic's of the trailer once i got it home

picture1419.jpg

As you liked the Kidd on the DB found a shot of it on my Dads tractor  ;)

018nh.jpg

sorry this topic has started as abit of a mess  :-\  but now you sort of have the back story ill keep it updated with new pictures & info  :)  Any questions fire away

Taz that DB880 and kidd looks so good all you need now would be i nice weeks 4ton silage trailer and that would be i nice setup to take to the shows

we used to have a some DB's we had a DB 770 red selectamatic, DB 995 and a DB996 the DB996 was traded in for a MF 398 2wd black cab  :)

Nice to see an 880 still on it's original 32 rear wheels, as they were supplied from the factory. 28 rears were offered as an option as being smaller would put more power to the ground but were faster on the road with the 32's. The D.B. 3 cylinder engine was the best engine they ever made. I myself have 17 D.B. tractors dating from 1946 up to 1985, various models, not all restored. If anyone wants any information for the best places to get spares for them let me know as I have a list of good contacts that I use.

that wee 880 was looking a bit sorry for herself there you did a very good job you did on it

sorry to ask but have you any pictures of the 950 thanks

Thanks  :D  yea it did shame they are left to get like that  :-\  but then , if they were all mint wouldent be for sale or owt for me to do on it.

Yea sure , its an absalute pig though  :-

Taz that DB880 and kidd looks so good all you need now would be i nice weeks 4ton silage trailer and that would be i nice setup to take to the shows

we used to have a some DB's we had a DB 770 red selectamatic, DB 995 and a DB996 the DB996 was traded in for a MF 398 2wd black cab  :)

If i could find one ide get one , as i think like you say it would be great for shows, everyone is preserving the classic tractors but i do think some thought sould be given to the old kit they used as well  :)

Nice to see an 880 still on it's original 32 rear wheels, as they were supplied from the factory. 28 rears were offered as an option as being smaller would put more power to the ground but were faster on the road with the 32's. The D.B. 3 cylinder engine was the best engine they ever made. I myself have 17 D.B. tractors dating from 1946 up to 1985, various models, not all restored. If anyone wants any information for the best places to get spares for them let me know as I have a list of good contacts that I use.

yea that was 1 thing i wanted to keep was its 32 inch wheels , iam not a fan of them on 28s they look abit low at the back end. Although they are much cheaper & easier to source. Yea it will do 20 on the road with those wheels which is comfortable. Yes they are nice little tractors i think , i never set out to buy an 880 but sort of stumbled across it glad i did realy as you hear a few stories about others. 17 DB's  :of  now that would annoy my mum  :laugh:

there is no DB's a    PIG  :P    take it that it is in rough shape

haha  ;)  yea it is abit rough , been sat on a wood processor , That picture does it justice to be fair  :P

001rcz.jpg

The 950 is a pre-Implematic model, produced in late 1958 to replace the 900, had an extra head stud to eliminate the problem the 900 had blowing the head gasket and discontinued the decompression handle, quite a rare model to find now. Later Implematic 950 was introduced in late 1961. If you're doing it up Vapormatic do new mudguards and the battery cross-box (with lids) as I guess these could be rusted rather?

:of  that is in good shape belive me i have seen and drive much worse

supose the mudgards and battery boxes are rotten  what about mechanicaly is it good bad or ugly

picture002sd.jpg

ill let that picture answer that  :laugh: :laugh:  , mecanically weeve been having some issue in getting the blooming thing started  :-\  seems fuel is getting to the pump & then nothing ,i have had the tank off & all the fuel lines to clean them out but think there might be an issuse with the pump now & this isnt something i can realy attempt myself. As for new wings & a battery box i realy dont know what to do with this one , keep it & restore it or just get rid.

The starting issue could be a few things. Start simple, have you got the stop rod in the right position, I think on that one it has to be rearward. If there is no smoke coming from the exhaust when you're cranking the engine it coild be that the fuel filters are blocked and need changing. Unscrew the bleed screws on the injector pump, top one first and then the bottom and see if there's fuel spurting out, if not, at the rear of the pump on the top, undo the fuel pipe and then the large nut union that it screws into on the body of the pump, in the hole there is a gauze nylon filter, this one blocks up and a lot of people don't realize there's a filter in there and miss it. Try these things first.

Ah though they would have been  mudgards are rather costly was around £350 when i got the ones for my 990 and as for the battery box my dad made one from scrtach of the original of coarse

the starteng problem could also be that the pump could have a broken vein we bought a pump for a DB one time and it had that problem

The starting issue could be a few things. Start simple, have you got the stop rod in the right position, I think on that one it has to be rearward. If there is no smoke coming from the exhaust when you're cranking the engine it coild be that the fuel filters are blocked and need changing. Unscrew the bleed screws on the injector pump, top one first and then the bottom and see if there's fuel spurting out, if not, at the rear of the pump on the top, undo the fuel pipe and then the large nut union that it screws into on the body of the pump, in the hole there is a gauze nylon filter, this one blocks up and a lot of people don't realize there's a filter in there and miss it. Try these things first.

Like all DB's or opposite  ???  its had new filters & the little filter you mention on the pump i have had this off & cleaned it as well. when i brought the tractor it was a runner , but we took it home by trailer was abit of a hilly route ,think when we came to start it to get it off the trailer somethings gone amis.

Ah though they would have been  mudgards are rather costly was around £350 when i got the ones for my 990 and as for the battery box my dad made one from scrtach of the original of coarse

the starteng problem could also be that the pump could have a broken vein we bought a pump for a DB one time and it had that problem

yes mudguards are expencive, my 880 had later mudguards as suppost to rounded one's something i prefer. when i can afford to i intend to get a new set they were a "make do" for now anyway.

ohh ryt ok

Your bringing back some real memories for me. I spent more of my youth than I care to remember watching a white DB 990 with Sta-Dri cab pulling an in-line kidd and Weeks silage trailer. An MF 135 doing the running to the clamp, and another on the clamp.

There is a beauitfully restored kidd local to the Taunton area of Somerset. Does a lot of the shows.

Beleive it belongs to the Burston (spelling?) brothers.

Really wish one of the model companies would make one of these.

Adie

Your bringing back some real memories for me. I spent more of my youth than I care to remember watching a white DB 990 with Sta-Dri cab pulling an in-line kidd and Weeks silage trailer. An MF 135 doing the running to the clamp, and another on the clamp.

There is a beauitfully restored kidd local to the Taunton area of Somerset. Does a lot of the shows.

Beleive it belongs to the Bearstow (spelling?) brothers.

Really wish one of the model companies would make one of these.

Adie

nice , iam going to have to find a weeks silage trailer  ;D  seems the next thing i need to complete the set up

Ohh right nice  :)  hopefully i can get a look at this one day