On the road with a Agricultural Engineer

BK741

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

MLT 741-120Lsu owned by British Gypsum. Called on to site because it would not start, starter motor just 'clicking' Knowing the dust the machine works in throught the starter would be full of dust and packed up. Fitted new motor still the same! Found engine stuck and unable to turn over removed engine to transmission drive shaft engine turned over so problem in driveline. Phoned for help and after five hours with no drive or hyds a second Manitou and JCB Fastrac and low loader got her back tho the workshop.

BG741001.jpg

Removed main gearbox. This covered in plaster dust which has set and needs chipping off.

BG741002.jpg

Angle drive box still in

BG741005.jpg

On stripping down angle drive output shaft found bearing had collapsed locking the shaft up. The inner bearing race had friction welded its self to the shaft. Removed race but shaft damaged.

BG741003.jpg

Input shaft built up and ready to refit.

BG741004.jpg

Great topic, good to see pictures like this like others said always intresting!
Manitou must be one of the worst handlers going you seem to do hell of alot of work on them! We have 5 at work 3-05's an 12 plate and a rather old one, the only one that never breaks down is the old one!

Great topic, good to see pictures like this like others said always intresting!

Manitou must be one of the worst handlers going you seem to do hell of alot of work on them! We have 5 at work 3-05's an 12 plate and a rather old one, the only one that never breaks down is the old one!

Thanks! There not that bad, well no worse then JCB or Merlo. We sell 20 to 30 Manitou's a year so plenty to breakdown, there are five of us in the workshop and I work on Manitou's all the time can't remember the last tractor I worked on but I am trained up on New Holland T7 range. The old Manitou's will go forever!

Thanks! There not that bad, well no worse then JCB or Merlo. We sell 20 to 30 Manitou's a year so plenty to breakdown, there are five of us in the workshop and I work on Manitou's all the time can't remember the last tractor I worked on but I am trained up on New Holland T7 range. The old Manitou's will go forever!

yeah same with us there always seems to be one broken down buts its only because we have so many out working nowadays! ultimatly there very reliable and not to bad to work on

yeah same with us there always seems to be one broken down buts its only because we have so many out working nowadays! ultimatly there very reliable and not to bad to work on

I think that any telescope handler tend to be abused more than tractors, every one drives it but no one 'looks' after it. Using the British Gypsum Manitou as a example, it is a 2004 machine with less than 2000hr on it. I rebushed the front carrage twice before it had done 600hrs the  mount for the lift ram had to welded and line bored last year all because of a lack of grease. The hyd tank has been filled with fuel several times and the engine overheated because the radiator was full of plaster dust and no one had clean it out.

I'm not saying all operators are bad I look after a 2007 MLT 634 120 LSU with 5500hrs and works on a diary farm Allways serviced every 500hrs it has done 1500hr this year and has never let the customer down. Greased every week the front carrage has never been rebushed and still tight. Spend a little time with these machines and they will keep going.

I think that any telescope handler tend to be abused more than tractors, every one drives it but no one 'looks' after it. Using the British Gypsum Manitou as a example, it is a 2004 machine with less than 2000hr on it. I rebushed the front carrage twice before it had done 600hrs the  mount for the lift ram had to welded and line bored last year all because of a lack of grease. The hyd tank has been filled with fuel several times and the engine overheated because the radiator was full of plaster dust and no one had clean it out.

I'm not saying all operators are bad I look after a 2007 MLT 634 120 LSU with 5500hrs and works on a diary farm Allways serviced every 500hrs it has done 1500hr this year and has never let the customer down. Greased every week the front carrage has never been rebushed and still tight. Spend a little time with these machines and they will keep going.

definatly agree to thi s we have customers who never grease there always the first ones to say how much when they get the headstock re bushed the last one we actually gave  a grease gun and box of grease cartriges!

Have to say i am not keen on the manitous at all, our 5 arnt the best looked after but they get serviced every six months and usualy cleaned off and get greased and stuff as they go out on hire. But they just seem to have contious problems, theres normaly a headgasket to do every 6 months ish , the 12 plate one had a new engine after about 100ish and had few other littel snags since which were done under warranty so it isnt as bad. The load sensing switches for the revs and hydrolic flow seem to fall off or the wires break at the ends so the machines always stall. The joy sticks have a habit of breaking so when your driving down the road the boom starts extending. This could be people driving round with the hand brake , but they always one in need of it being adjusted haha. I dont think the angle drive gear box is the greatest idear either, there are plenty of other things in summer they have habit of over heating haha. I think if they worked properly they wouldnt be bad handler, there defently built strong on the out side and dont exactly fall apart our ones just have a habbit of breaking down!

Have to say i am not keen on the manitous at all, our 5 arnt the best looked after but they get serviced every six months and usualy cleaned off and get greased and stuff as they go out on hire. But they just seem to have contious problems, theres normaly a headgasket to do every 6 months ish , the 12 plate one had a new engine after about 100ish and had few other littel snags since which were done under warranty so it isnt as bad. The load sensing switches for the revs and hydrolic flow seem to fall off or the wires break at the ends so the machines always stall. The joy sticks have a habit of breaking so when your driving down the road the boom starts extending. This could be people driving round with the hand brake , but they always one in need of it being adjusted haha. I dont think the angle drive gear box is the greatest idear either, there are plenty of other things in summer they have habit of over heating haha. I think if they worked properly they wouldnt be bad handler, there defently built strong on the out side and dont exactly fall apart our ones just have a habbit of breaking down!

Yep OK if it was a Pekins engine in your 12 plate then it is a known problem and there is a mod campaign out at the moment but the new engine should of been modified. I have had no repeat failures after repair. In nearly 13 years of working on Manitou's I have NEVER done a head gasket on any model. If the engine are Perkins Vista (electric lift pump) the rads have to be spotless they may look clean but block the core from behind even with cleanfix fan. Check by dragging a piece of paper over the core at tick over, the fan should pull the paper all over the core if not remove rad section from cooling pack and blow/wash out. Check fan bearings, fan belt should be as tight as you can get it. Top hose can collasped on the inside and thermerstat break. If you are having repeat h/g fail the the block may need decking/skimming.

If you mean the wires on the fuel injection pump pot the apply some silcone sealent to the wires and the top of the pot this seams to work and takes the strain of the wires.

Joysticks and JSM levers can't do a lot with just make sure wiring doesn't rub any were.

I have the same problem with hand brakes some machines never need adjusting and others need adjusting every 500hrs just make sure the slides are free in the caliper.

The good old angle drive box! Lost count of how many I have rebuilt but can do with my eyes closed! Make sure the oil is at the correct level and changed every 1000hrs 2 1/4" L Sort any oil leaks asap as they soon run dry and knock the teeth of the bevel gears. Make sure the engine rpm is 930 to 950rpm. The gears have to have there preload and backlash set up which is very important to the life of the box. Specs for the setting up change quite a bit over the years. I think the box is on its way out of production and will go to Dana Spice box bolted to the back of the engine like in the new MLT 840.

Here endith the lesson!!

definatly agree to thi s we have customers who never grease there always the first ones to say how much when they get the headstock re bushed the last one we actually gave  a grease gun and box of grease cartriges!

I know there are machines out there that only get greased when I service them!

The Lambourghini glider winch tractor? Is there something special about it, or is it just an ordinary tractor on turf tyres painted yellow. Is it for pulling out the winch cable............... does it do sixty miles an hour......... will it launch a glider? ..........Sorry... my imagination is running riot.  ;)

The Lambourghini glider winch tractor? Is there something special about it, or is it just an ordinary tractor on turf tyres painted yellow. Is it for pulling out the winch cable............... does it do sixty miles an hour......... will it launch a glider? ..........Sorry... my imagination is running riot.  ;)

Your right about it being yellow and having turf tyres but has air brakes fitted,NATO towing hitch and NATO electrics plug. It is used for towing the winch trailers around.

SyerstonandWickenby137_zps37640058.jpg

Archived