Siku Unimog access platform conversion

This is something I have wanted to do for ages, then a First Gear International Utility bucket truck turned up on eBay ::)

Turns out the sellar was in Ipswich, the item ended with no bids and after  couple of emails I got the truck for a good price :)  (from someone I went to school with 20 odd years ago :of  )

Here's a picture of the truck :)

post-96-132639837182_thumb.png

The first job was to get the Siku Unimog stripped down so I could work out how to stretch the chassis.

I used the Limited Edition white one as when they came out the only reason I got the white one was for this conversion, hoping to find a First gear truck with a white Altec body ;)

post-96-132639837192_thumb.jpg

Next I set about lengthening the chassis with brass,evergreen and plasticard= what I had :laugh:

Please note the chassis is in no way like a unimog but is made to suit the bodywork and won't be seen when the conversion is complete ;)

post-96-132639837276_thumb.jpg

post-96-132639837382_thumb.jpg

The rest of the body needed work because the body was off a highway truck and the Unimog has high ground clearance the stabilisers weren't close enough to the ground :-\

Then with the front stabilisers dropped down lower on the chassis the bartro support the boom in transport was lower than the cab ::)

Plasticard and brass again ::)

post-96-132639838126_thumb.jpg

post-96-132639838182_thumb.jpg

This is how it stands now :)

It needs a bit of paint here and there and I was going to paint the cab to match the body but i'm now thinking of getting some E.on decals made for it :-\

Will also add mirrors, upright exhaust etc ;)

post-96-132639838391_thumb.jpg

post-96-132639838571_thumb.jpg

I flipping love it!! What a truly excellent idea mate. You kept that one quiet  :) :) :) :) :)

I have wanted to do it for a few years mate and i've bid on several First Gear trucks but they seem to make upwards of £40 ;)

If I go down the e.on route i'm tempted to do a diarama with a pole and a van etc :D

very tidy paul, the western power ones down here have dual buckets fitted to the arms, one each side, all radio controled for operation, no levers in the bucket or on the unit

The Eastern Electricity ones I used to service had twin buckets too ;)

looks good Paul with the white cab ,i think if it was all orange it might look a bit to much , some utility stickers on may be ,,the same colour orange on a clear patch would work ,the first gear stuff is great but they all based on American motors ,,

but looks really good and different and you know how much i like different ;) ;)

or buy the way if you need some poles i know where there are some and they cheep and they will do the job , ;D

Paul that is outstanding! I love it, something different and something totally new. Hmmmmm I wonder what the elec supply at Leverets Farm is like. . . may have to get the lines tested.  .. .  8)