Rebuilding an old Britains FORD TW-25

justy 46

This is a wreck of an old Britains FORD 8730 i found in the parents attic. It belonged to my younger brothers quiet a while back. These models are making good money for a mint example. I always wanted to have a good Britains TW in my collection(Childhood mems) .So im going to rebuild this old thing. Im going to also use that FIAT M160 in the backround for donor parts considering i bought the better REPLICAGRI model and source the other missing parts from DAVE TOWSE..IMG_0478.jpg.

First i stripped all the useable parts and cleaned the casting. It has the 8730 style casting with the stub axel. The stub axel was never a good idea back in the day by Britains LTD due to the stub coming loose with play & wear. >:( The older steel bar axel was better & more solid. So i then cleaned the casting & repainted it using Revell Gloss Blue#52. IMG_0479.jpg

I then cleaned & painted the good parts on the model such as steps,seat,rear hitch etc & used the wheels & stubs from the FIAT M-I60 which i painted with Revell gloss white #20. I then polished the tyres using Turtle Wax Black in a Flash.rubber cleaner. IMG_0484.jpg

I then ordered & received the new parts needed from Dave Towse @ www.britainstoyfarm.co.uk. He is fantastic for all kinds of obsolete Britains tractor parts & quick to post on the parts needed for any conversion or rebuild. I got the decails,cab,roof,exhaust,bonnet & floorpan.IMG_0482.jpg

Some of the parts like the bonnet & cab had to be painted with the Revell Blue used on the casting. I also painted the front mudguards black. TW style! The origanal Britains blue was wrong on the mudguards.IMG_0485.jpg.

Here it is alongside my costomised Siku FORD 8830. The Britains model was more acurate in detail than the Siku one. The biggest mistake Siku made was the cab roof by not giving it the Super Q style roof. But on the upside it had more of a solid build than the Britains model. I could not bare the inacurate sight of the Siku FORD in my cabanet display ,so i decided to modify it 4 months ago.  IMG_0491.jpg

I now have 2 Britains origanals & 2 modded examples. The Ford 8210 was my first ever custom model i done myself made from a Britains FORD 5610 (BIGGER WHEELED MODEL), followed by the modifed Siku 8830. But you still need an untouched origanal which is why i built this FORD TW to pair off with my other origanal Britains FORD 5610 (NARROW WHEELED MODEL). I have that 5610 since i was a child. I bought it almost 23 years ago. Even tough it was very inacurate & used a TW-20 casting ,i still loved it & kept her mint. The reason being cause my Uncle ran a SQ 6610 4WD on his farm & i spent lots of days in the summer months driving her.IMG_0492.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic rebuild there chap.. 8)

Looking at your TW restoration pics has given me some ideas, i have a few wrecked! old Britains models, 2 Ford 5610s!! a Deutz DX110 and a Massey 3680. One of the Fords and the Deutz only requires a replacement cab and a bit of a tidy up. As for the other 2 they are in a bit more of a state but not half as bad as your model was before you restored it.

Cheers for that..

Fantastic rebuild there chap.. 8)

Looking at your TW restoration pictures has given me some ideas, i have a few wrecked! old Britains models, 2 Ford 5610s!! a Deutz DX110 and a Massey 3680. One of the Fords and the Deutz only requires a replacement cab and a bit of a tidy up. As for the other 2 they are in a bit more of a state but not half as bad as your model was before you restored it.

Cheers for that..

No problem Steve. If you get on to Dave Towse at www.britainstoyfarm.co.uk. He has all the parts for those models. I would highly recommend you to check it out. He sells on eBAY also. But i just buy direct from his main web page. Plus his fast to post & his prices are good. That TW cost me around £28 to restore. Not bad when a boxed model is making over £100 these days.I also got the parts & decail for that Ford 8210 conversion. So if you wanted to be different with your 5610 you could. Like make it a 6610 or 7610 maybe. ;):D

Thanks again Justin, just had a look at the website, the parts seem reasonable in price and it would be nice to get my old broken models back on display again, it was not long ago i was thinking about binning them!!.. :of

Thanks again Justin, just had a look at the website, the parts seem reasonable in price and it would be nice to get my old broken models back on display again, it was not long ago i was thinking about binning them!!.. :of

Well i spose your glad you hung on to them now! ;D If your going to rebuild em.  Post me some pics if you can! :D

looks great. yea your right about Towse fast deliveries. one thing that u should do is take the wee edges of the exhaust from were the 2 part mould has left it. and spray it black

On which tractor? The TW or the 8210. Cheers!