2 farmers dead in an Essex slurry pit

JoshParkinson

very sad my brother in law was talking with the farmer this morning ,he was overcome with fumes the last thing he remembers was telling the head cowman to get away ,but he was overcome with the fumes and died ,,they was trying to save the student but sadly he he died to from drowning they think very sad

its amazing how many slurry pits you see that are not fenced off, really sad thing to happen ,having been fully trained in confined spaces and the breathing stuff you need, it opened my eyes to what they class a confined space, and yes a open hole like that is a confined space, 

yeah, i think they should make all slurry pits under ground ones, it would save some accidents although accidents would still happen like the one i heard about last year, where a lad was scraping into a slurry pit when the brakes failed on his tractor, rolled straight in and the tractor had a cab on it so it literally just went straight down and he didn't stand a chance.

I have to say i'm definately sticking to arable farming.

covering causes problems with the gasses, but sewage works are covered and vented ect for the reasons above, it stops accidents, the legal threats to the company if something does happen at those places are huge, yet on a farm in a similar position ie waste fluids area, they do not apply the same rules, covers, life saver rings 6ft plus secure fences  crash barriers where traffic passes ect which is weird, it just seems to be the norm for a open hole full of slurry with nothing more than weeds and a grass bank round it

That is absolutely awful. Just horrible.

I remember when I was five or six ignoring my Dad telling me to come back the way I went whilst climbing over a manure heap in my wellies and waterproofs at a farm belonging to a friend of his. I wanted to splash in the puddle. ... only it wasn't a puddle, it was the edge of the pit and in I went up to my neck.

That is absolutely awful. Just horrible.

I remember when I was five or six ignoring my Dad telling me to come back the way I went whilst climbing over a manure heap in my wellies and waterproofs at a farm belonging to a friend of his. I wanted to splash in the puddle. ... only it wasn't a puddle, it was the edge of the pit and in I went up to my neck.

Jesus Tris!  :of Lucky you were alright though!

The worst thing was. . . .. I had a packet of Opal Fruits in my pocket  :'(

It was lucky and a big lesson to learn as well. These poor chaps probably knew the dangers but for the first it was an unfortunate accident and the second, he must have only been trying to help his friend. Poor sods.

The worst thing was. . . .. I had a packet of Opal Fruits in my pocket  :'(

It was lucky and a big lesson to learn as well. These poor chaps probably knew the dangers but for the first it was an unfortunate accident and the second, he must have only been trying to help his friend. Poor sods.

When someone else is in trouble, you never think of the dangers yourself, until it's too late, i'm sure if a mate of mine fell in the river or was in danger, i wouldn't think twice about going in after him, even when it puts you in danger as well, it's just a natural reaction, and then in this case the person trying to save his friend, landed himself in just as much trouble as the person he was trying to help, life's a b*tch.

when my dad was little he was running across a concrete yard but there was a slurry pit and the top was a crust so it looked like concrete and he fell in up to his neck but managed to get out its a terrible thing to heppen.

on ebay a few years ago there was a ford 3000 for sale and it had a story with it, it was sitting at the top of a yard getting something done to the engine when the lad came out in the morning it was gone he thought somebody had stolen it and there was no insurance so he just had accept that it was gone but some years later they were draining the slurry pit and  there was the 3000 sitting there at the bottom of the pit it had rolled away down the year at night time. ;) ;)

on ebay a few years ago there was a ford 3000 for sale and it had a story with it, it was sitting at the top of a yard getting something done to the engine when the lad came out in the morning it was gone he thought somebody had stolen it and there was no insurance so he just had accept that it was gone but some years later they were draining the slurry pit and  there was the 3000 sitting there at the bottom of the pit it had rolled away down the year at night time. ;) ;)

Going off topic a bit but was that featured in classic tractor once showing the perils of buying without seeing first?

That's a legendary story, definately remembering that one!  :laugh:

That's a legendary story, definately remembering that one!  :laugh:

funnily enough i've found one like that in the same circumstances , i was cleaning an old dissused lagoon at the end of a concrete trac with a slew & caught a fordson major with the bucket , the farmer was well surprised as his grandad had reported it mising in the early 70's ! it needed bump starting every day so left it at the top of the trac , oneday it wasn't there & was reported stolen , it'd never occured to them to look in the lagoon

sad about the two farmers , all to easily done though