You've had my fence post... and now my gate post... witty or what !

Lord Ferguson

Question

Apologies for those who have seen this on the old defunked forum... but I thought I'd post my gates again and the method I used to make them... Tris did a really interesting post with his and I found it informative so I thought I'd do the same for mine.

Anyway here goes... first the finished gates and accompanying fence (I'm using a modular layout with everything on 500x500 boards and the fencing on 500x80 sheets (all 19mm MDF for strength and thickness to sink things into for extra strength)

Morticing method is smple... just mark the posts where the mortice is to be (centre line)... mount in a vice on a pillar drill (I'm using a cross vice for speed/accuracy) - using a 1mm router cutter or milling bit in my case (nicked from my mate the engineer - hope he doesn't see this)

Pic is cutter in chuck

ooh you're good  ;) real good , will we see you getting a stand at toy-trac selling them to non forum members as you'll make a fortune, really mate there are loads of people selling stuff not half as good as that  :)

When cut - just poke the wooden slats through (add some superglue first) and make sure the first one that goes in is square (90 degrees to the end post) - when one end is dry carefully fit the other end.... again using superglue...

For the hinges I have used little ring eyes... and the hinges are screw in hooks cut up and glued into a fresh post (again with superglue) - not the most to scale looking I know but they do open and close (and lift off) like the real thing.... I have thought of an alternative method now for mounting the gates on a hinge.. but I'm not sure which will be best - what do you reckon folks  ???

Mounting the posts is simple if you have thick enough board.... mines 19mm so I drilled a 5.5mm hole (my posts are 3x5mm) about 10mm deep (blind on the pillar drill) and just poke the posts in with some wood glue - that way you know they are square - and no standing around like a pillock waiting for the glue to dry  :D :D

I have given mine two coats of yacht varnish so they look shiny and well cared for... for front gates... field gates would be more like the mkI gate with just one cross brace and perhaps just painted with fence paint or creosote

Pic is the MKI - havn't I already posted this one  ??? - anyway you can see the single cross brace as opposed to the double ones on my poncy front gates

Thanks for the comments Guys... PM me the measurements Sean an I'll knock you up a pair while I have the bit in the drill  ;) Forgot to mention the closer thingy - easy to make as well - just bent a piece of thin sheet aluminum I found laying around - drilled it and through the post - used a piece of brass tube as the hinge bolt and bobs your uncle... fanny's your aunt... my pr1ck's a bloater and we'll have fish for tea to use the full saying

Thanks for the comments Guys... PM me the measurements Sean an I'll knock you up a pair while I have the bit in the drill  ;) Forgot to mention the closer thingy - easy to make as well - just bent a piece of thin sheet aluminum I found laying around - drilled it and through the post - used a piece of brass tube as the hinge bolt and bobs your uncle... fanny's your aunt... my pr1ck's a bloater and we'll have fish for tea to use the full saying

yes it's well known cambridgeshire saying from days of yore no doubt  :D :D :D

very nice lettering marky,i will measure up and send you ver my sizes, won't need the lettering though,don't think you will get ash tree farm on them will you

:D :D :D not even ATF Sean  :D :D - Marcus wants his 760 to go through the gate... I assume that's going to be the same for you (or something similar)... I could put sod off John Deere on the gates if you like  :D :D :D::)

MCM - No  :D :D :D :D :D :D :-*

:D :D :D not even ATF Sean  :D :D - Marcus wants his 760 to go through the gate... I assume that's going to be the same for you (or something similar)... I could put sod off John Deere on the gates if you like  :D :D :D::)

MCM - No  :D :D :D :D :D :D :-*

na the header comes of mine so not quite as wide ,as long as me 7200 goes through the rest will,will measure up tommorrw