Toyfair at Haldon Racecourse 13th November

milo

Checking the organisers website http://www.stevenclementsfairs.com/

would suggest its not on.

Would suggest you call Steve direct, his phone number is on the website. He is very approachable and friendly.

The fair at Westpoint on December 30 looks as if it's still on.

Let us know what Steve says.

Thanks PDH

Ive emailed Steve and will let you know when I get a reply.

In the meantime, I did a quick google search and came up with this which says its on:

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/4715-Steven_Clements_Fairs_Ltd_Exeter%E2%80%99s_Only_Major_Toyfair

All toy fairs previously held at Westpoint are now to be held at The Devon and Exeter Racecourse, Haldon. The first will be this next Sunday 13th November. It could be a rather small affair regarding public attendance as there seems to have been little or no publicity or local advertising.

Regret I won't be there either Tim, I'm at the self styled 'Worlds Greatest Model Show' in the Midlands all weekend.

Be very interested in the dates for 2012 if they are avialable. Could you post them if they are announced on Sunday? Thanks

The toy fair at Haldon racecourse was quite a sucsess due to the number of stallholders in attendance but it was very cramped and stallholders were restricted as to how much of their stuff they could spread out and display on the limited number of rather flimsy folding tressle tables that were provided for them so they were rather unhappy, nay, disgruntled at the lack of available space. This was bourne out by the number of punters having little room to browse the tables in the narrow isles between them, people looking on the tables each side only gave room enough for another single file of people to pass between them and you can imagine the conjestion of people wanting to pass both ways not to mention those in wheelchairs, on sticks and mums and dads with little kiddies in pushchairs, talk about gridlock! It was difficult to estimate how many punters there were there but certainly only a fraction of what would have normally attended had it been at Westpoint but it was only £2.50 to get in. Stalls were both upstairs and downstairs, around the corners, tucked in alcoves and in the corridors. Whilst there was some decently priced items available the majority had quite high price tags, concequently not a lot of people were buying much and there were not that many carrying bags containing purchases. Speaking to the stall holders and quite a few of the attending public all were very dissapointed with the venue and those that were there that had anything to do with the organisation of the fair were told in no uncertain terms by the stallholders and public alike that if they did not go back to Westpoint then they would not attend again! I think they got the message, loud and clear.

There were no flyers available for 2012 dates.

I didn't go today as I had other things on, but I must say I hope it does return to Westpoint, the size of the event there makes it a worthwhile trip up from Cornwall for me.

Were the usual Farm stuff Old/& new dealers there today Tim ?

I'm afraid Bill I did spend a little bit more than just the entry fee!!!!!!, but I hope that what I did spend was wll spent, more about that in a mo.

There were a few different stalls and dealers there that I have not seen before and think they may have come from a more affluent part of the Country by their price tags! There were quite a few of the Westpoint stalwarts there with their stalls, about ten I would say but there were a lot more of the regulars that were not.

My purchases?  Well, a mint 1967 Britains catalogue, a very nice Greyhound 'race' tinplate game by the name of  'The Trapper', a rather large game when all set out on the floor with a round tin like middle with slots around the outside top where you slot in a long thin grooved 'track' in which a numbered dog 'runs' by means of a box on the bottom end with a cranked winding handle that operates a sort of auger screw in the track that moves the dog along to the end, there are 6 of these. On the top of the central round 'tin' there is a little steel spike that you sit a metal disc on which has a brass sort of bearing in the middle underside, on the top of this disc on a flat rotating slightly weighted and flat tin 'arm' on one end of which is a hare, you spin the arm from the centre by finger and thumb twisting a plastic knob to get the hare rotating. The idea is to get up to 6 people winding the handle for the dogs like hell and the first one to reach the end of the track and stop the hare is the winner. There is no makers name on the box but it is British made and states that 'patents are pending' so must be an early one, probably 1930's, I'll put up a couple of pictures of it later as it is very interesting and probably quite rare.  My final purchase was a 'Scalecraft' plastic traction engine kit, although built it was with it's original box and instructions and is a battery powered model, same as the MF165 from the same Company, never been connected up for power and I'll leave it as is. I'll put up a picture of this one as well later as it is interesting, smallish scale, smidgin over 1:32 I'd say by the size of the driver.

Here are pictures to follow on from my last post.

Firstly the grehound race box.

GreyhoundBox.jpg'''

Second, all set up. Hope you can see it all ok. Capet section it's on is 27" square so it will give you an idea of the area it takes up.

GreyhoundRaceSetUp.jpg

Next up, traction engine box.

TractionEngineBox.jpg

Next 2 are the engine itself.

TractionEngine01.jpg

TractionEngine02.jpg

Wo-ho! Think I may have bagged a bargain there then Bill.  ;)  Same game same condition so £40 doesn't seem so bad now but seeing that I had never seen one before I just had to have it and seeing the description of  'v v rare' in the link makes me smile now. I think that what really persuaded me to buy it was that I picked up a similar item at the last toyfair in Exeter, also a greyhound race game, I'll post up some pictures of it here later for you to see.

Bill, here's the other greyhound race game. You thread a cord through a hole in the flywheel shaft, turn it towards the front to wind the cord around the shaft and pull. Behind the dogs there is randomly positioned cams on the shaft that strike a small steel ball to drive each doc up the track. The dog that reaches the end and raises the post is the winner. each dogs 'coat' and it's post at the end are a different colour and the coloured circles on the base is where you lay your coins to place your bet. I've seen others on eBay from the USA but they are plastic and made by the same Company but this one is all tin-plate and made in the UK, they must have sold out to America later. Never seen anothe of these either.

Box.jpg

GreyhoundRace.jpg

Bill, here's the other greyhound race game. You thread a cord through a hole in the flywheel shaft, turn it towards the front to wind the cord around the shaft and pull. Behind the dogs there is randomly positioned cams on the shaft that strike a small steel ball to drive each doc up the track. The dog that reaches the end and raises the post is the winner. each dogs 'coat' and it's post at the end are a different colour and the coloured circles on the base is where you lay your coins to place your bet. I've seen others on eBay from the USA but they are plastic and made by the same Company but this one is all tin-plate and made in the UK, they must have sold out to America later. Never seen anothe of these either.

GreyhoundRace.jpg

Now I have seen one of these - when I was a child.  It had come out of someone's granny's loft but we enjoyed the racing even if it didn't work too well!  Don't remember betting as I think we were all too young for that.

• 4 months later...

well good news westpoint will be back on soon. i spoke to some one today and he said it will be back on. the chap who does the shepton shows is taking it on. but only half the hall will be used and then after that the stall holder will pay by the sq metre. it cost £7000 for 24 hours use of westpoint. can see why steve moved it now.

That is good news indeed Nathan, as long as the dealers don't hike their prices too much to try and cover their backs, in the current economic climate they're going to have to be realistic and realise that. I know they have to make a living but so do we and our disposable income is very tight down here as you know, vicious circle, venu over charge for dealers, dealers over charge punters, punters don't spend, end of event. Went to the antiques fair there end of last month, 2 day fair, one dealer I got talking to said he was charged £600 for his pitch in the hall, about a table and a half size wise and with his travel, fuel and accomodation costs he reckoned he wouldn't get much change from a grand.

Well Nathan, they'll have two choices, charge high prices, sell nothing, charge reasonable prices, sell stuff. Will be interesting to know how much the buying public entry charge will be.