New Telehandler

harryh141

the boss is splashing the cash this year... A manitou mlt 627 jouined the farm in june and hasnt been the best of machines whatsoever. It replaced a john deere 3215 that was on an 05 plate and it worked wonders, only trouble was that it was getting on a bit so we decided it was time to swap it  :(  Our john deere dealer cornthwaites offered us the 627 at an unbeatable price so we got it having tried a bigger mlt 634 last harvest and we were impressed. Nobody likes the machine, the safety features on it just take over for example... your extending the boom with a full bucket of grain on and it suddenly stops extending because there is too much weight on the front according to the machine. Along with this, its just not a nice machine to drive and the lift capacity isn't a patch on the old deere  :-\  anybody else feel the same about these telehandlers?

Having gone through this years harvest with it, we decided it needs swapping so weve gone for a dieci, it has a 3.7tonne lift and 7m reach so its a much bigger machine than the manitou. Nobodys had much experience with the dieci machines but from the few weeks we had it on demo it performed really well and lifts a full bucket of grain with ease, looks like it will be a good machine, just the quality im not sure about and i know manitou do have quite a high reputation...

All I'll say about the Dieci is be afraid, be very afraid :-\  We have a local dealer here and lets just say the reliability record of the machines is not the best. The independant engineer we use has pulled two axles apart now on different machines as well, one of them is a frequent visitor to his worshop ::)

I'd have a Manitou over most other machines, they have good visibility, good ergonomic controls and are comfortable with features such as the floating boom etc. We brought a JCB last year instead because it was soo much cheaper than the Manitou as JCB were desperate to get us away from them, but I preferred the Manitou.. Other than that the claas is nice, but thats even more money..

I don't rate caterpillar at all horrible to look at and awful to use, I used a fresh jcb 536 70 for harvest i liked it plenty of power comfort viability ect, however have a look at the recent merlos as well, and even tho you liked the 634 manitou, the 627 is a different machine so you should of tryec that before you purchased

On thursday our local Manitou dealer had a demo day at college, and have to say your right about the Health and saftey takes over i had a bucket full of soil in the 634 and the weight alam was going off when i lifted it abit  :-\ Was nice to drive but know a few about and seem to spend alot of time broken down!

If i was to buy a new handler i would go for a Merlo or a Jcb, as there both good machines to drive and pretty relible in my opion, the Claas scorpains are meant to be good but ive havnt had any experience with them and if there like the Targo's there not worth going near. Wouldnt go much on cat aswell!

You have hit the 'nail on the head' Lots of customers try a MLT 634 but buy a MLT 627 which is a completely differant machine, rear engine 100hp, twin gear hyd pumps ,no power brakes or load sensing hyds but most important CHEAPER than a MLT 634.

If you buy any new telescopic handler built after October 2010 regardless of size,colour or manufacture has to comply with EU law EN1500 which basically means the hyds cut out when overloaded to stop the machine tipping up. The hyds will allow you to lift the load up and/or telescope in to move the load.

The Manitou has three modes built in to its SLI display it will start in pallet fork mode so works above. Bucket mode which allows tilt and crowd and aux hyds to be used when overloaded and suspended load mode which cuts hyds sooner if lifting fert bags for example.

I am very biased towards Manitou as I work for a dealer! but I will admit the MLT 627 are my least favourite!

:) whys that? no grease nipples?

the pin that hold the boom to the handler [right at the back] will bend or worse still snap and they not that easy to remove ,we have had no end back this year all we sell is cat from the small 360,s to D10S

the pin that hold the boom to the handler [right at the back] will bend or worse still snap and they not that easy to remove ,we have had no end back this year all we sell is cat from the small 360,s to D10S[/r]

They were known for the same problem 15+ years ago when my late Father was selling Sanderson forklifts so its not a new problem with the CAT machines

The dieci is already ordered now, as i say it performed great for the couple of weeks that we had it but its just the reliability factor  :-\  We'll just have to see how it goes i suppose... other option would have been a new holland but there exactly the same machine just with a different paint job from what ive seen