road

asat

Question

23 answers to this question

Follow these steps.

1) You need to use Dry sand (not wet sand). You can buy playsand (this sand is washed and cleaned and a low salt content "Its safe for kids") from any Argos store or toy shop about £2.99 a bag will last you a year or more. Take a cup of sand sprinkle it onto newspaper and keep it out of reach of any children and "cats" ;) some where so it can dry out - Check it every day till it runs through your fingers

2) Start with a mix of 50/50 water & PVA with a dash of washing up liquid. Paint this onto your surface.

3) Sprinkle the dry sand over the glue wait a minuet or two then shake off the excess and leave to dry over night.

4)Before you start painting use a two inch brush and brush off the excess.

5) Use craft acrylic black base coat for the road - Tracks/lanes use Burnt umba for the base coat. leave to dry for one to two hours or speed up the process by using a hair dryer and let the surface cool down before you star painting.

6) Dry brushing - Easy to do. For the road use grey acrylic. you will need an old tea towel and a 1 & 2 inch clean brush. Load your brush with paint and wipe the paint off with your old tea towel and lightly brush over the sand in one direction and keep doing this till you are satisfied with the result. What you are doing is picking out the raised sand with your paint. You should be able to see some black underneath.

7) Tracks and lanes use light brown acrylic and follow step6.

8)High lights use White acrylic and follow step6.

9) If your not happy with the result just paint over again in the base colour.

10) I will be Dry Brushing some FOW Bocage lanes later to day. So I will post some pic later to day.

Phil

I have used the sand trick a couple of times but went for the simple version. Spray or paint the surface with black or grey, sprinkle bird sand on top and use a spray can to cover it with another layer. Does the trick as well and gives a realistic finish. The bird sand is very thin so doesn't give a very rough finish. Watch out for not buying any that has funny coloured bits in it though  ::)

Follow these steps.

1) You need to use Dry sand (not wet sand). You can buy playsand (this sand is washed and cleaned and a low salt content "Its safe for kids") from any Argos store or toy shop about £2.99 a bag will last you a year or more. Take a cup of sand sprinkle it onto newspaper and keep it out of reach of any children and "cats" ;) some where so it can dry out - Check it every day till it runs through your fingers

2) Start with a mix of 50/50 water & PVA with a dash of washing up liquid. Paint this onto your surface.

3) Sprinkle the dry sand over the glue wait a minuet or two then shake off the excess and leave to dry over night.

5) Use craft acrylic black base coat for the road - Tracks/lanes use Burnt umba for the base coat. leave to dry for one to two hours or speed up the process by using a hair dryer and let the surface cool down before you star painting.

6) Dry brushing - Easy to do. For the road use grey acrylic. you will need an old tea towel and a 1 & 2 inch clean brush. Load your brush with paint and wipe the paint off with your old tea towel and lightly brush over the sand in one direction and keep doing this till you are satisfied with the result. What you are doing is picking out the raised sand with your paint. You should be able to see some black underneath.

10) I will be Dry Brushing some FOW Bocage lanes later to day. So I will post some picture later to day.

Phil

what a superbly well detailed and comprehensive post... many thanks Phil and welcome to FTF by the way  :)

Follow these steps.

10) I will be Dry Brushing some FOW Bocage lanes later to day. So I will post some picture later to day.

Phil

ok thanks guys i was thinking about using felt like used for shed roofs would this be eny good reghards aaron

I would say, given the answer above your reply that felt would not give the effect half as well!!

Thanks for your comments. I will be starting my 8"x4"(split in to two 4"x4"s) model farm on the 16Th of Jan and its going to be called "Tullyhogue farm". I have two shows one on the 3rd of march (need to get the details) and the 31st ballygorman show either way it will either be finished of half completed. I will down load pics of the contruction.

As for roofing felt I have used this before and I must say that it is an ideal scale for 1:32 as Hard core - lightly dry brush with white - spot on.

It's Ideal for gateways, around troughs or running along the edge of a field from gate to gate, sidings for a canal, Pathways with static grass running down the centre as seen in this attached pic to give you an idea. The ideas for roofing felt are endless,"But its not ideal for children, it can be very abrasive" that's my thoughts anyway.