What is this little "tool" used for ?

I remember the string tied paper feed sacks ....hessian ones are too old for me to remember ;D ;D ;D

all our own made pig meal went into hessian sacks bill, most were just filled then left open on the trailer, that lasted 1 day before another trip to the granary, but some were sealed up and held as emergency sunday backup ones, 

Yes it is good to see such trinkets have survived. I have to agree Tim there is not so much company advertising / giveaways these days. Going back to the late 1990's I remember our workplace had loads of calendars and diaries etc to give out and also received from suppliers. Changed times because we have calendars etc on our email systems and a general cut back on advertising I suspect.

all our own made pig meal went into hessian sacks bill, most were just filled then left open on the trailer, that lasted 1 day before another trip to the granary, but some were sealed up and held as emergency sunday backup ones,

I actually still use some hessian sacks at home for storing potatoes since it helps them breathe.

We used to get a load of calendars and diaries around the change of the year, mainly from the feed merchants, auctioneers and garages that we patronised but get none of that now, only thing I do get now is a diary from my local NFU and a calendar from a local auctioneers. I think it's the cost of having these things produced that's stopped them now!

Sean, you still find quite a lot of hessian sacks around our area at farm sales, I bought several bundles a few years ago at a sale that totalled about 500. Still got a lot of them hung up to the roof beam in a barn to keep the rats and mice out of them. Before we had an indoor corn bin we used to put all our barley in hessian sacks off the combine, mammoth job going through them before harvest to sow up any holes in them with sisal string and bagging needle!

On the subject of hessian sacks I got this small one from the same uncle I got the "letter opener" from. I think it contained a few motor cycle keys and spanners etc.

1082010003.jpg

Oh and I have the "bagging needle" too but thankfully I don't think I will need to do any sack repairs ;D ;D

1182010002.jpg

1182010001.jpg

• 7 months later...

Here's another keyring from the past, forgot I had it untill I re-discovered it again today whilst looking for something else.

post-806-0-89597800-1345584042_thumb.jpg

I have several agricultural related keyrings, I'm sure otheres have a few as well, I think a new topic is on the cards.

Edited by powerrabbit

Going back to the subject of tools, here's quite an unusual tyre pressure gague, the Dunlop Number 5. It's unusual in the respect that it is specifically made for tractor tyre pressure reading being graduated between 2psi to a maximum of 20psi. I was given this by a retired farmer. Nice that it's still in its original green leather pouch although the gold embossed lettering on it is rather worn.

post-806-0-38353200-1345622224_thumb.jpg