Who would have used this piece of crockery ?

Its nice to have family heirlooms like that Sue. I have certainly heard of a cut throat razor but haven't actually seen one. When you say he used his letter belt to strop his razor that must have been to remove the "burr" for want of a better expression....but what did he sharpen it on....grind stone....oil stone ???

:) The strop was used for sharpening the cut throat Bill,sand stone would be way to rough,you would use razor sharpening paste on the strop,see here, http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdSrch.cgi/@cStrops%20&%20Paste%20for%20Straight%20&%20Cut%20Throat%20razors@b

I actually have a cut throat and a strop,souvenir of my trip to Texas a few years ago,

Regards

Joe.

I understand now Joe. I was thinking of seeing my old boy sharpening his plane irons on the oil stone and then after that he used to slap the plane iron back and forth on his hand to remove the "burr" if you see what I mean.

I see you can still buy such mugs / jugs similar to Sue's grandfather's one.I honestly would not have thought this day and age there was still a demand for this product :of

http://www.justusmen.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=11708&ref=71&gclid=CPynof3fsa0CFUhrfAodhFdTnQ

It just goes to show that the old way is sometimes the best.  My father had an electric razor which he used when in a hurry but he always preferred a conventional wet shave (until my mother allowed him to grow a beard!) Mind you he never used a cut-throat razor. ::)