We have added on to our house this year, this gives my wife a craft room and me an office/model display room. I already have 3 freestanding display cabinets filled with models in the living room (yeah, Lois is a saint) but I'm looking at building about 14' (4'5m) of built-in cabinetry along one wall of the new office.

I was thinking of making the bottom 2' storage and having the next 5' up as glass shelving with doors. Does anyone have any ideas or advice from experience or planning/dreaming about your own?

I have had a number of display boxes made 30 x 60 cms with lids of varying heights. These fit on bookshelves or stack. I can therefore display my collection in mini dioramas and what is more they are dustproof.

Photo shows three on my sideboard (I am working on them) but they do stack as I put felt pads on the bottom of each one.

post-1145-0-52992200-1329029666_thumb.jp

One Idea I have had if I were to put in shelving I would use wood shelves with glass doors and add some lights on the underside of each shelf to highlight the models. I think and LED rope light would do well but I am sure they have other options.

Be careful paint fades under light either artificial or sunlight. You need glass that filters UV and I would have the lights OUTSIDE so they have to shine through the filter

I have had a number of display boxes made 30 x 60 cms with lids of varying heights. These fit on bookshelves or stack. I can therefore display my collection in mini dioramas and what is more they are dustproof.

Photo shows three on my sideboard (I am working on them) but they do stack as I put felt pads on the bottom of each one.

they look excellent. what a great way to display your collection.

i got a room that has shelving all around, i used a simple rail system on which glass shelves have been placed of 5 mm thick . it works well, even for the diecast 1:16 models that weigh 20 pounds! Made glass sliding doors but you have to round the corners and make/cut a grip in each door.

from experience i would however stick to your initial idea of making wooden frames with glass inbetween, those would work much nicer. Also dont use wooden shelfing, you will loose a lot of light on the models when you wish to light them. Keep outside light out of the cabinets as well..

Am going to experiment with plexiglas plates instead of glass, as glass might break and damage your models in the process... but do not know yet how it will handle the weight and how much light it will absorb/let through

Thanks everyone for your input. I like the display cases Sue, I plan on doing a few small Dioramas too and setting them around the room or on the wider part of the base before the shelves begin.

Wil, I am relying heavily on a carpenter friend who has made cabinets in the past and he is pushing me towards one-piece glass doors. I don't think I mind too much as long as it is light, dust-free and compliments the room.

Glass shelves are a must, I was thinking of lighting from above and, from experience, I have learned not to put too much on the shelves as the lower down you go the darker it gets. Has anyone tried lighting from below as well?

Thanks again all.

Be careful paint fades under light either artificial or sunlight. You need glass that filters UV and I would have the lights OUTSIDE so they have to shine through the filter

Thanks for the warning, I never thought about that. A bit off topic but do you happen to have a few more shots of those dioramas?