Cg-Models David Brown 885 1/32

Niels

IMG_0371_2.jpg

First impression (Rating: 8,5) This is the latest model of French scale model builder Christian Gouel of CG-Models (http://www.cg-models.com/). This David Brown 885 is the second version? with flat top mudguards, straight axle and white/orange paint scheme (correct me if I'm wrong DB fans). It comes with a detachable sunroof which might make it a little less desirable to UK collectors. You can remove it but are left with two small holes on top of the mudguards. The model is made up of brass and aluminium parts and very detailed. It is hand build and assembled so there are minor impurities and every model is a little different. The whole thing is screwed on a smoked perspex plate that comes, unlike the previous DB 770 model, without a display box. Packaging is just a simple carton box with a sticker saying what number it is. Mine is 079 of a total of 125 build. Hence the steep price tag of € 210,00 which I paid for it. The sunroof comes in a separate carton boxes. Both items are well packed.

IMG_0930_2.jpg

Unpacking (Rating: 8 )

The whole thing is wrapped in plastic and the model itself is secured down with a rather fancy red ribbon despite having been screwed down to the base plate. All you have to do is stick the exhaust on top and put the sunroof on top. Oh, and dust the perspex plate which I clearly didn't. ::)

IMG_0933_2.jpg

Quality and finish (Rating: 7,5)

The model is all hand build so expect to find minor impurities. With my model it was mainly down to the sun roof. There are some tiny gaps that could have been filled in but from a distance it looks al right. As it is pure metal the model feels very sturdy but is a collectors only model of course. The edge of the decals have come loose a little on my model as you can see. A tiny drop of glue will solve this. The rear linkage is accurate and comes with a top link as well.

IMG_0937_2.jpg

Detail of Realism (Rating: 9)

The detail of realism is very high, as can be expected from such a model. I especially like the replica of the data plate on the right side of the chassis. Also all the dials on the dashboard are there. A foot throttle seems to be missing and the foot brakes are not exactly lined up as they should. Some avid DB enthusiasts can probably point out one or two things wrong with it but overall it seems very realistic to me. Maybe the side panels of the engine should have been a little different? But they don't bother me. The whole model is painted in a high gloss finish which gives it a very bling bling appearance O0 . Maybe a matt lacquer would have been more appropriate, especially for things like the seat.

IMG_0940_2.jpg

Conclusion:

Despite it's high price tag the models makes a very desirable collectors item. The build quality is high and as realistic as possible. The fact that it has a sun roof might put off British collectors but nonetheless I think that Mr. Gouel has done a splendid job in creating another classic. Especially picking a make which has, so far, been pretty much neglected by 1/32 model makers.

I give this model an 8,2 overall as the build quality is very good and level of detail as expected. It comes with a hefty price tag and the base plate is not something everyone will like.

Edited by Niels

A very good model but I shall not be adding it to my extensive D.B. model collection. I have the pair of 770's, the white one as well. If any fault can be levelled at the 885 the only ones would be the vertical seam line on the bonnet side panells, which should not be there, and the headlamps are a little too far back and the rear light pods on the mudguards should be black, the front ones were white and correct. The front axle is wrong, it's the same as on the 770's, (the 780 also had this type of front axle) it should be the same as on an 880, termed as the 'fabricated' axle. It would not be fair to fault the canopy as these were fitted on David Brown tractors for the European export market. I would say that this model 885 has been created using the same castings used for the 770's with just the tinwork being re-modelled. Thanks for the detailed review Niels.

Thanks for the review. It looks nicely finished - I did think about this but at €210 thought it was a bit expensive for me....

Yes it does look good, and I'm tempted but think with the price I might have to leave it this time.... If it had been made with the UK cab I would have happily got my wallet out straight away. Maybe in time he will make a UK spec DB in 1/32 scale.

• 1 month later...

We will just have to wait and see what he will come up with next Justy. Or maybe another manufacturer. It's a pity there are so few UK-based model builders or you'd probably see more DB/Leyland/Marshall etc..

DB: Thank you, my pleasure!

You'd probably struggle to find one for sale? Hopefully there are still some about but they will be rare.

What model review should I do next, any pointers? I was thinking about the Beinlich irrigator but Hillview already did an excellent report on that.

You'd probably struggle to find one for sale? Hopefully there are still some about but they will be rare.

What model review should I do next, any pointers? I was thinking about the Beinlich irrigator but Hillview already did an excellent report on that.

More DB if you have got any Niels :)

• 1 month later...