Oakley Estate Farms

Alex,I'm just curious here,but how would this cultivator fit in with your tram line set up,it's a 17meter Strom Swifter,would two passes of this machine equal three passes of your 12 meter Carrier.?? StromSwifter17m_zpsc22ae21b.jpg http://www.bednar-machinery.com/index.php?idx=3191RegardsJoe.

Ahh i have seen a few of these in the UK, i maybe be wrong but i believe they have teamed up with Knight Farm Machinery. First of all it wouldn't quite fit the tram line set up as there would be 2.5 meters of overlap each side of the machine, it would need to be just over 12 meters to fit correctly. Secondly i believe there is no place for this sort of machine at Oakley as its a seedbed creator, very good at creating a fine tilth, with leveling boards etc, if we were growing sugar beet i would certainly look at this bit of kit along with the Dal-bo Rollomaximum. What we are trying to achieve with the carrier is a quick single pass, green up, spray off, possibly hit in with a second pass and drill, as controlled traffic starts working with less compaction seed beds will achievable in a single pass taking less energy and then drill into it, like a semi direct drill system as the soil structure repairs its self and becomes more friable
  • Like 1

Were you tempted to get a straw rake on the front of your discs Alex?

I didnt think about it at the time but would of made sense for the wheat stubbles, although baling the straw not much resudue is left and they may block up with rape stubble. If we go down that route to help with slugs and blackgrass chitting we would either make modifications to the carrier or buy a separte machine, i was impressed by the Strake by Sumo, whilst we are on the subject of Sumo i love the look of their LDS, if they made a 6 meter one id have it!
  • Like 1

I believe using a rake does not move no where near enough soil, im not wanting to go down the complete direct drilling route yet, compost, chichen litter or digestate will be applied and needed to be incorporating into the soil so cultivation is a key player just not at depth, roots not iron is the saying now.

You certainly know your stuff Alex, and the kit that you need to obtain results. High hp and fast workrates and carefully chosen machines to suit your farm and what you believe is the best kit for the job and soil conditions. Keep the good work up

• Like 2

Thank you for the kind comments Brian, its a constant learning curve but thats part of the enjoyment, the setup i have now is really getting there in terms of the machines i believe to be the best on the market for the specific job and soil conditions on farm. Im very pleased with the kit i now have, one or two left to sort out in time

• Like 2

Good stuff Alex, your set up will look well now, you hava a nice laid out farm to accommodate the grader, it sure takes a lot of room for it. I hope it gives many years of trouble free service, you will be setting yours up in a much better diagrams than mine and it will be right at home at Oakley.

• Like 2

Thank you Brian, the shed is still very much work in progress, very busy at work at the minute so time spent on the model farm is limited but i am very proud to have such a model at Oakley, work is currently involved around getting the soil elevator in the correct position to come through the side of the shed before backing the grader in to its final resting place, re cladding the side of the shed and assembling the box fillers. It will be well looked after here and grading 250-300 acres a year.

• Like 1

Progressing well the last 2 days, the team have managed to bolt the grader into position and re clad the shed side with the new window in place, tomorrows job will be to get the dirt elevator in through the window. Seem to be glad of some inside work with this rain about and to be honest there is not alot else happening, too wet for ditching and tree surgery. Spud movement has continued very well with one store now nearly empty, hopefully this will keep up towards Christmas although Branston are saying no next week. We are two tractors down this week as Masquraders carnival club have them for pulling their float and generator from carnival to carnival, we havent missed them. Job adverts are going in the Farmers Weekly and online this week for new positons and to replace the retired Maurice and Steve. Grain storage for 2015 is now secure so grain store extension will go ahead and meetings with local farmer & contractor Julian Gillard confirm his AD plant is going ahead, acreages and partnership details still to be finalised be we have a rough idea how its going to work. post-2769-0-43023100-1415813019_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Yard and shed lighting is on the very long to do list! When and how is for the future! Iv looked into making circuits with battery, switches and LED's, the effect I'm after is an orange for exterior yards and clear white with a slight blue tint for selected sheds, workshop, grainstore and grading shed, i did at one time think about fitting skylights in the grading shed roof but dismissed the idea as it also acts as our ambient store where we can store couple hundred tonne and the spuds would go green in the light!

Edited by Oakley Farms
  • Like 1

If I'm honest Ol i don't know too much about them and it will be a learning curve but what i do know is that it requires a diet, so a variety of things like a cows rumen, but could be predominantly grass and maize silage along with fodder beet, whole-crop and stockfeed potatoes. Also you get out what you put in so the quality of the feedstuffs going in relates to the power output so quality has to be high, not a dumping ground for waste products.