College life- the goings on at Lackham College

Tommy Gough

I have been meaning to start this topic for a while now to just show what happens around the college farm and grounds. The college runs quite a bit of kit including:

Claas Arion 610

MF 6465

Valtra N121

JD 6800

Ford 7840

NH 8160

MF 590

MF 390

MF 290 2wd

MF 265 4wd

2x MF 230

2x MF 135

Elderly Zetor

Modern Kubota

Sanderson 622 Telehandler

Merlo 34.7 Telehandler

Claas Jaguar 850

Then there is the kit run at the farm:

MF 6490

Fendt 716

JCB Telehandler

Valtra N91?

Case CX90?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then there are some machines that are just used around the workshops:

Case MXM 190

2x NH TM190

NH TS115

I believe these tractors were test rigs that were given to the college by New Holland, which I think means that they cannot be registered for road use.

Then we have:

MF 27 or 29 combine

Bristol? crawler

IH crawler

230 (yes the spreader is attached but we didnt fire it up...honest)

ea9f388a.jpg

ce0bb9ae.jpg

390 good side

P090312_0801.jpg

390 bad side

P090312_0801_01.jpg

This machine was atthe college earlier in the year as the local dealer (Lister Wilder) were showing some of their staff and local farmers the GPS system fitted

P010312_1523.jpg

P010312_1523_01.jpg

Few photos from our 24 hr ploughing marathon

The preperation machines

Claas before going discing some maize stubble and trash to make it easier to plough

dd09cd9f.jpg

265 at base camp with our firewood

3d2b9402.jpg

Day ploughing

c1cb5977.jpg

Night ploughing

a6e51560.jpg

One of the farmers that we ploughed some ground for works as a salesman at Lister Wilders and he managed to get us a demo Fendt and plough for a couple of hours

3154fffb.jpg

b58f84ba.jpg

Some more of the demo Fendt

d6efcfff.jpg

68a9f4e0.jpg

a65ec058.jpg

And a final photo of the college farms 6490

da8dc80a.jpg

Thats all the photos for now. The plan is that we start mowing on the Tuesday of the coming week with the hope being that we start picking up on the Wednesday afternoon so I hope to get some photos of all of the operations. All questions and comments are welcome as usual.

wow your college looks fantastic, ive nearly completed my college course now. we havnnt got half as much kit as you. we just use a new holland T6020, JD 6230, 6530 & 6920S, 2 x MF 135's and 2 x MF 230's, ford 4600 and a an old case. the bigger tractors are for the farm use and training us on and the smaller older machines are farm use and mech use.

how many acres did you plough for your 24 hour marathon, we did 210 acres in 22 hours with an MF 6490 + 5f kuhn and JD 6930 + 5f gregoir besson. we couldnt find more ground otherwise we would be ploughing up the domo plots for other machinery companies.

looks great though, what course are you studying?

Blimey, the old Masseys, Zetor, Bristol and NH 8160 were there when I was there, Tommy! The 8160 had big boots on it at the time as a test platform for tyre comparisons. One of the 230's I handbraked around the workshop yard, I was so used to using the handbrake on the old MF digger at work as the brakes did not work. Forgot where I was one day at Lackham and ended up dping a 360!! :D Another day we were crossing the A350 and a friend of mine pulled away with the Bristol on a lowloader trailer and the old dog rolled iff the back and was left straddling the white lines!!

Looks like fun Tommy, all of those machines to play with! :P

Yeah, we all have quite a good time.

wow your college looks fantastic, ive nearly completed my college course now. we havnnt got half as much kit as you. we just use a new holland T6020, JD 6230, 6530 & 6920S, 2 x MF 135's and 2 x MF 230's, ford 4600 and a an old case. the bigger tractors are for the farm use and training us on and the smaller older machines are farm use and mech use.

how many acres did you plough for your 24 hour marathon, we did 210 acres in 22 hours with an MF 6490 + 5f kuhn and JD 6930 + 5f gregoir besson. we couldnt find more ground otherwise we would be ploughing up the domo plots for other machinery companies.

looks great though, what course are you studying?

I think we ploughed about 200 acres overall. We ran the claas and massey in the photos with 4 furrow ploughs, along with the valtra and another 4 furrow. We then also ran the 7840 with a 3 furrow plough for smaller fields. Im studying farm mechanisation.

Blimey, the old Masseys, Zetor, Bristol and NH 8160 were there when I was there, Tommy! The 8160 had big boots on it at the time as a test platform for tyre comparisons. One of the 230's I handbraked around the workshop yard, I was so used to using the handbrake on the old MF digger at work as the brakes did not work. Forgot where I was one day at Lackham and ended up dping a 360!! :D Another day we were crossing the A350 and a friend of mine pulled away with the Bristol on a lowloader trailer and the old dog rolled iff the back and was left straddling the white lines!!

The 8160 is still going well at the moment, the only annoying problem with it is the dash refuses to show relevant information. We clocked 800+ mph on the way back from the ploughing marathon.

I forgot to mention yesterday the 2 TE20's that are used by one of the other courses for tractor rebuild competitions. I believe they got their time down below 5 minutes over in Ireland a few weeks ago. Here is one of the tractors seen at a local show today

100_0874.jpg

Then there is the Lackham Ballistic, the college tractor puller that was put together in 1989 and still going strong today

100_0876.jpg

I let her have it down the back drive, Tommy. We all did I think. .. it was one of our lessons with the recently retired Dickie Hanraads. The bloke is a legend!

Most defiantly Tris the best the college ever and will have! Was gutted I couldn't make his retirement party was sat on a plough instead

Fantastic update Tommy, the 8160 dash hasn't worked for years didn't work when I started there in 06. And the NH's and Case arrived in my last year when basildon where having a clear out, there all pre-production models used for testing so on agreement we couldn't take them off site and for road work

:unsure: Whatever is the young generation of today coming to?

Back in the day when I was a student, a discussion about 'College life- the goings on at (whatever) College' written by a young man would have been entirely about sessions of heavy drinking and encounters with, ahem, 'friendly' young ladies/other young men/young sheep/whatever, according to preference. 8)

Archived