College life- the goings on at Lackham College

Tommy Gough

:unsure: Whatever is the young generation of today coming to?

Back in the day when I was a student, a discussion about 'College life- the goings on at (whatever) College' written by a young man would have been entirely about sessions of heavy drinking and encounters with, ahem, 'friendly' young ladies/other young men/young sheep/whatever, according to preference. 8)

More of that in the 2nd year i think David, judging by the state of some of the studentslast week (and some of the lecturers as well)

A small update from the college silaging. Quite hectic so not much chance for the students to take photos but I did get this group photo although sadly missing the forager

P230512_1517.jpg

I also got a picture of a fastrac that we had on demo

P230512_1430_01.jpg

Dont dispair though. One student was very dedicated to getting photos and spent a lot of his own free time ( we worked in shifts) to capture photos from all of the different operations so I will upload some of these soon.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoops, I never did get round to posting 1st cut photos. I will be able to in the next day or two if anyone is still interested? As for the current occurences: I have just started my 2nd and last year of the course. the 2nd week back some of us were asked to come in for a couple of days to help the college farm with some late 3rd cut that got delayed by the rain.

A few pictures

Mowing some lovely wet organic clover on the 2nd morning that was going straight into the clamp ( :o )

Photo0069_zpsa731e2e8.jpg

My view to the front ( I was travelling with the rows at the start of the field)

Photo0070_zps79558b0a.jpg

and to the back

Photo0071_zps148b2aed.jpg

The forager

Photo0072_zpseda8f5af.jpg

and a vid from the day shift

Good update Tommy, keep posting up the pictures

Thanks Pat, will do.

where do you come from tommy,some of the ground you were ploughing i used to plough when i worked in stockley,its up at derry hill got a good view for miles from there !!

I come from a farm just on the outskirts of chippenham, just before derry hill. Have to agree that the views from the top of the hill are brilliant. May have to get my proper camera out and wander up there for a photo session.

Is that the colleges forager then? It was a 682 (??) when I was there but so say had an 820 chopping unit. Is it still about? Havn't watched your videos yet but I certainly will :)

Yeah, thats the current forager, probably in its 2nd or 3rd year there. No the old machine isnt around anymore but i did see it working a couple of years back. On the video front, to make it easier I will just post a link to mine and my friends pages in a day or two when I put the 1st cut photos on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Tommy, brilliant photos mate. It's good to see what a wide range of machinery you ate getting access to on your course. Did you all rotate yourselves around each job/machine? How many acres did the college harvest?

Tommy, brilliant photos mate. It's good to see what a wide range of machinery you ate getting access to on your course. Did you all rotate yourselves around each job/machine? How many acres did the college harvest?

Cheers Tris. The course of 18 is split into 2 groups for all practical lessons so we have group a doing the morning shift, group b on the afternoon shift and group a again for the evening and then the other way atound the next day. Then someone makes up a timetable so everyone has a go on the forager. The other jobs are then spread around a bit so you may have not have gone mowing, for example, but have gone on trailers twice. I think we harvested about 150 acres but it took a while with us swapping around a lot and quite a long haul from the colleges other farm (our neighbours) back tothe college through Chippenham.

Yes, fantastic topic this. A great brochure for the college too for anyone younger and looking at doing such a course. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers Andy. That was one of the main reasons I started this topic as I realised that some of the younger members on here may be thinking of going to an ag college. This is just my way of recommending Lackham.

• 3 months later...

Whoops never got round to adding the photos did I. Better add a few now.

The run of the headland of the first field of the first day pretty much set the standard for the rest of the harvest

Photo0103_zpsde934e56.jpg

Photo0107_zps932230b5.jpg

Not a brilliant photo but there was a bit of a quality and quantity issue in most of the fields, this one included

Photo0112_zpsc466eb6f.jpg

Help

3d77be0376860299f881cf2e8f55c621.jpg

Case to the rescue

8b2307bc8d4da545abc8b0b3819b5f30.jpg

The maize on the front of the trailer slightly gives away the exuberance of the students on the spout

Photo0114_zpsf2ee26bc.jpg

We also had a krone on demo for a bit. By a bit i mean the farm decied we could use it to open up a trial plot field which involved a lot of manouvering and swearing and not much actual chopping so it was a bit wasted really. It was a big x 700 if you were interested

64065782bc77b7307920f4f4b11f26a3.jpg

5d216f2f46070698a2acad51cd316e75.jpg

I also did some trailering for the trial plots. Bit of a faf as the different crops are planted in a bunch of four rows around i think 50 meters long. The forager chops the middle two rows and blows them into a holding hopper. At the end of the run the operator lets the chopped material back through the chopping unit and this time out of the spout. As it is unloaded another worker takes the sample. At the start of the field the chopper was an old two wheel drive Claas SF70 but it struggled at the headlands getting out of the ruts made by the front wheels so they bought in a front mounted pottinger machine mounted on a Case MX110. Sorry if the description was a bit dragging but just realised that I dont have any pictures of the chopping, just the trailers.

No option but to drive over rows

Photo0116_zps6e280754.jpg

Whoops

Photo0117_zps9e49053a.jpg

Photo0118_zps117a77f4.jpg

The replacement trailer

Photo0119_zpsc7b08edb.jpg

No time to bang in some greedy boards I suppose,,

On which trailer chris? The little orange weeks was just temporary whilst the webcox was being repaired. No greedy boards on the webcox as the forager would blow in to it. Would have been useful though on the opposite side to the forager as the driver never adjusted the spout so as the trailer filled up it became a challenge to stop the crop going over the top and we tried to avoid changing trailers whilst driving down the rows

The clamp on the first morning

419f5ab5427729c5d27e150d6e1fad9a_zpsdf2a

Think this was on the third day

Photo0109_zpsa8f56bdc.jpg

Photo0111_zpse973ae0d.jpg

Photo0110_zps28b1a688.jpg

After a few days we had to move across a main road which meant we had to increase the machinery pool by one

Photo0115_zps92a2069a.jpg

And increase the workforce by one

Photo0108_zps1e9d05b8.jpg

He wasnt smiling after a couple of hours stood at a road junction slowing down cars

Archived