If you go on the official London Olypics shop site they are auctioning the one that's being carried around the country at present calling it the 'number one' torch and up to a couple of days ago it was up to just over a grand. Watched a bit on the telly the other night about the making of the Olympic torch and there have been several hundred made. Any Olympic 1212 stuff being offered on eBay is a total rip-off, you can get it much cheaper elsewhere.

cant blame people, at the end of the day they have paid for them anyway, despite being nominated by locals for the privilage to do the run ,something like 200 odd quid i think they paid, plus the uniform, so i guess its theres to do with as they please, must say though, even if i wanted the cash i think i would keep it, hand it down ect as its a once in a lifetime thing at the end of the day

I think they are spam bids by people against the idea of selling them. All over the radio stations today about it. I say fair play to them, some are donating to charity, some are paying off their mortgage. I think you have to buy the torch for £215 in the first place.

They're banging on about it on all the tv news programmes, nothing's been said about wheather the bearers have had to pay for them or no but it was mentioned that around 800 have been made, one of the bearers has had 2 torches as he/she did a 'double run'. I see no problem in them being offered on the internet with proceeds going to charity but I don't agree just selling for self profit, if I had one I'd be keeping it. The first that came over from Athens is reported to have made over 150K but as the seller said 'we'll see how genuine it is when the money turns up'. Some people would sell their a** if they could sh** through their teeth!

I know a few people who ought to have a go at selling their a*** then! :D :D

The only thing I would have trouble with in selling one is that many people were nominated and very few were lucky enough to get the chance to do it. So it is kind of mean to all those who were not lucky enough and also a bit rude to all those who nominated you for you to only go on and sell the thing. I could overcome that I think though, if I thought I could clear my mortgage, or a large chunk of it at least .. .. I be game on for selling it!!

A few facts about the Torch...

There are at least 8000 of them, one for each of the 8000 runners in the Relay plus spares etc. Each torch cost the tax payer who after all are funding the Olympics £800. Each runner can buy 'their' torch for £199 but it is less the burner and gas cylinder. Not sure if they have to pay for the uniform.

So my view is yet another case of people taking advantage particularly after they had been given a privilege a lot of us would have liked. No they shouldn't be allowed to sell them. If they do then any profit should go back to the tax payer!!

If they are costing the taxpayer £800 each I am wondering what will happen to those that are not bought by the privileged few. Is someone going to make a small fortune selling off the remainder or will they be scrapped?

If they are costing the taxpayer £800 each I am wondering what will happen to those that are not bought by the privileged few. Is someone going to make a small fortune selling off the remainder or will they be scrapped?

I suppose they might sell them at a souvenir shop at the games?

There will be some dissapointed buyers from eBay then if the burner is not with them, I can understand no gas bottle, that goes without saying but without the burner then it's not complete and if this is not stated in the description of those being sold then there's going to be a lot of returns.

There will be some dissapointed buyers from eBay then if the burner is not with them, I can understand no gas bottle, that goes without saying but without the burner then it's not complete and if this is not stated in the description of those being sold then there's going to be a lot of returns.

Good old H&S Tim. With the burner they can be made to work....