A Mixed Bunch.

These are the items I purchased today at the Westpoint toy fair. I have put these all together as it would take about five different posts to put them in their seperate manufacturers.

The Curate and the Land Girl are Britains, the Land Girl is a bit unusual I think as she is wearing a 3/4 length coat. Both have swinging arms. The lambs are also Britains but the 'skipping' lamb on a base on the left is by Cherilea. The little chicks are Taylor & Barraett as is the milkmaid with the two buckets, unusual to find her with two. The running hare is Pixeland-Kew and so is this rather unusual man and roller, You don't see him often. The man and long handled cart is thought to be by Timpo and it's a bit puzzling to see what the cart may be used for but is believed to be a hand hay cart

post-806-0-16403300-1341155563_thumb.jpg post-806-0-60528200-1341155578_thumb.jpg post-806-0-42908800-1341155592_thumb.jpg

post-806-0-53701800-1341155607_thumb.jpg

The only thing it's missing Sean is a bit of green paint on the handles. I looked them all up in Joplins big yellow book when I came home just to identify them all before I made an ass of myself for posting and just guessing the makers, in the book it shows the man and hand cart exactly as mine is so I can confirm that it's intact, on the stall the seller had the man pulling it but in the book it shows him pushing it but it fits either way so I guess it's either a push me or pull me, whichever way you want. There was a lot of lead figures and animals there today, most iv'e ever seen.

It's a little difficult to be exact on the bunnies Mark as they all look very similar between the different makers but they correspond more to the Britains type from the pictures in the books to any other make, at least they've still got their lug'oles. Yes, the curate is in very good nick, I've looked him over with a good magnifying glass and he appears to have his original paint, don't really know about curate, with that hat and type of dress he would be better described as a Methodist minister I would say, think I'm going to call him Wesley. ;) And the lambs at a quid each were cheap, would have bought 5 more from the seller but there was a chap infront of me that had his hand in the box so I had to wait.

It's a little difficult to be exact on the bunnies Mark as they all look very similar between the different makers but they correspond more to the Britains type from the pictures in the books to any other make, at least they've still got their lug'oles. Yes, the curate is in very good nick, I've looked him over with a good magnifying glass and he appears to have his original paint, don't really know about curate, with that hat and type of dress he would be better described as a Methodist minister I would say, think I'm going to call him Wesley. ;) And the lambs at a quid each were cheap, would have bought 5 more from the seller but there was a chap infront of me that had his hand in the box so I had to wait.

Wonder who that was then ???

The sitting rabbits are indeed Britains cat. #603. Nice to have all those colour varieties - the grey one on the left is rare.

Your vicar is Country Clergyman #593, not the Curate #592

The girl is pre-war (1922-41) Landgirl #535

And the mysterious barrow thing pushed by the man is the result of Timpo copying, scaling down, and simplifying a previous composition man pushing a barrow by Lineol of Germany. On the original item, there is a moulded load between the shafts. I'll find, scan & post a picture of it in a few minutes.

That's interesting David, is the moulded load on the barrow/cart 170/9 part of the casting or seperate?, I ask as there is no indication on the one I bought today that there was a load with it originally and also does not show any load in Joplins big book, perhaps Timpo simplified it and cast it without.

I've never seen an actual Lineol version, but assume it was all cast in one piece.

There was never any kind of load on the Timpo version. Just a case of them simplifying the Lineol figure so much that it didn't make sense any more. But hey, they were only toys!

The nearest thing which might exist in UK agriculture I could think of, to give Timpo some kind of justification, were possible long barrows which might have existed in Kent for those very big and long sacks of lightweight hops they had (have?) there.

Edited by david_scrivener

Know what you mean David, you don't need justification in carpet farming, just imagination, it's like the Britains lead man and water barrel cart, pretty useless in the real world as the water would slop too much and for the relative size of it you'd never push it with the weight of water it would hold, I would say that would be better described as a pig swill bin. Suppose the long handled cart could also be used for moving around the odd sheaves of corn or thatching reed or any other long loose or contained light materials such as a sack of bran or chaff to feed the horses.

I understand what you're saying about the difficulty of using a Britains style swing water barrow, but such things definitely existed, as I once had a real one. I never tried to use it as the handles were broken and holes had been punched in the bottom of the tank as it had been used as a garden plant container.

Here is a Lineol farm & other people (note 170/30 - their zoo keeper) 1937 catalogue page reproduced in a reference book about Lineol.

You will notice that all the lead Timpo farm people were 'inspired' by these Lineol farm people.

post-2225-0-46410900-1341177062_thumb.jp

I see what you mean - man with hay fork and the lady with her apron held up are just two of the Timpo look-alikes.

I see what you mean - man with hay fork and the lady with her apron held up are just two of the Timpo look-alikes.

Also sitting milking woman (170/3), woman with bucket (170/4), woman with sythe (170/5), shepherd (170/6), drover with whip (170/18).

In short they all are, except I haven't seen the man leading bull as a Lineol, but he might have been later. This is from a 1937 Lineol catalogue, and the Timpo figures were probably designed about 1954.