A Bit of Marine Engineering...

I thought I would post up what I get up to when I have to go to work. I have been a Marine Engineer since leaving school, 4 years at College and getting sea time and then the last 16 years working on all manner of ships all over the world.

In recent years I have been involved in ship construction, more specifically luxury yachts. Recent changes to the engineer licence systems for commercial vessels means that I have had to move away from the desk and get back to running an engine room and doing some spanner work, which I don't mind in the least. Currently, I have quite a sweet deal working as a Chief Engineer on an Italian built yacht which his best described as 'interesting'. Thankfully, I only have to work 8 weeks on, before getting 8 weeks off.

So, I have been quite vocal in my distaste for modern Caterpillar engines, the first pic shows why. I had been on the vessel a week and it had been having 'generator issues'. Cue an inspection of the number 2 generator, a 200KW C9 engine, to find diesel fuel in the coolant. The engine had been rebuilt not too long ago, but obviously not very well. Naturally this happened 2 days before we were supposed to be somewhere else, so we had to get stuck in to it with our service agent who came over from Florida with a cylinder head, as there were non available in Europe of course!

post-2344-0-39674300-1345909512_thumb.jp

• Like 2

These C9 engines are particularly troublesome, being the first Tier 3 on and off highway fully electronic engines produced by Caterpillar.

The injectors are controlled by high pressure oil from the sump, which means the engine is quite powerful and efficient. Those of you familiar with engines will have already spotted the fundamental flaw in this design, fuel injectors operated by high pressure lube oil. So after a few thousand hours when the contaminants in the oil have deposited themselves in the fuel pump, the engine stops working, completely.

If cylinders heads and turbos are not being replaced, then its the HEUI pump, or Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector pump that controls the fuel delivery and injectors.

What a great topic Dale...sounds like a very exciting job you have ....please keep these updates coming since it is nice to see what other folk do for a living. I know it is not farming related but I can see you like your job as much as I do...but I not going to post up pictures of the job I do as much as I like it...but I'm only a humble bean counter but well it pays the bills and fund's my collecting hobby 8)

Thanks! It keeps the wolf from the door in these tough times for sure!

I have a few more pics and videos, I might need somebody to host them for me though, and I have to be a little careful what I post up. Obviously, I work for some folk who value privacy very highly, so I am bound by confidentiality (I can't even tell you the boat name!) but technical info is not so highly restricted, and they have no problem with me sharing it.

Wow, spot on, Dale. Very interesting and definitely a first on FTF for marine engineering. You must see some nice sights .... if you ever get above deck and away from these CAT lumps!!

So, when you say Chief Engineer on a yacht; how big is this thing? I assume it isn't a little weekend cruising yacht and that it a true ocean fairer?

Very interesting Dale.

I spend my daytimes down at Sunseeker, Princess, Sealine, CAT Marine & Fairline boats working with the electrical engineers on the electrical connectors and sensors

I'm currently working on the new C9.3 with Cat.

Small world