Case IH 8830 Swather

Finnally found some building materials. Wouldn't mind starting straight away, but thought it might be better not to rush things.

Just stole a photo of google so you have a fair idea of what im talking about, ofcoarse i will be making a front aswel. But i figured start with one thing at a time.

Oh yea also not sure what the deal with thumbnail photos is, i hate them because im generally to lazy to click into them.

44b55507.jpg

996d09ee.jpg

Ill keep you guys updated on progress.

Cheers, Jan

Echo that Tris!!!!!! :P

Look forward to seeing the progress of this.

One question on the real thing, what is steering the rear wheels?

(don't say "steering wheel"!!!!)

Do they just follow behind......and the front wheels steer by braking?

Nice question Barry, rear wheels do nothing. I'm not a mechanical minded person but yes brakes. Or hydrolics if that is even possible. I know for a fact that they can turn extremely sharp.

Personally I always thought it was hydrolic

Bedankt, jan

Plenty of other useful tools in the topic too but these cutters are a great little item and cheap enough too.

Got off to a good start if you ask me, I am the same as you as regards to measuring and cutting. I always fluff it up but that said, you're attempting more than I have done so fair play, all good so far.

easiest way i get round scaling is draw a pic into a box , i basicly take the lenght and height measurements of a brouchure, and scale down to 1/32nd on graph paper they draw the model into it, sometimes takes a good few rubbing out and trying again hours but so far its always worked for me,do the same for a front shot, rear end shots can be harder to find, but with enough pictures the same can be applied.i tend to build older models, so fining any real ones, especially this way in the uk, is nigh on impossable.

as for the model, its certainly looking good so far i must say, looking forward to progress

mm whos been on that thatchers tonight i wonder :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: beauty of using the drawing is, once it looks right eye sight wise to you in its "size box" which will then be close enough to 1/32nd you can mount it on a bit of glass

(dont remove one of the pictures on the wall and take it apart to get the glass, it can be painful ear wise when your wife or girlfriend sees the damage :-[:-[ :-[ )

back light it and usally you can trace the part your cutting out onto the plasti card can save ages of time cutting and re cutting parts till that looks right

• 2 weeks later...

Well have been busy lately, moving my girlfriends family and the odd bit of fishing. Her father, i guess you could call him my father-in-law has a rather large collection of David Brown, 13 tractors in total. Personally i am not much of a vintage machinary fan. I especially enjoy Deutz Fahr DX series and Fendt tractors around the 1990's. But anyway he has a rather nice restored David Brown 990 implematic. And the rest is still in the process i guess. Bassicaly i spendt 7 days moving their assets and 5 days of them was the tractors, tools and ofcoarse parts. And after those 7 days i can proudly say that even though i would love to have a deutz in the back garden, that 1/32 scale is great and will make moving a tad easier. Really i should have taken some foto's but when you are in the presence of the "Father-in-law" you should really be trying to get in the good books. Which means work haha. Anyway i have finnaly been able to spendt some much needed time on the swather Its looking alright, im hoping allot better when its painted. I must admit i wish i have spent allot more time measuring the scale. I bought some basic accsesories from aritans. And the seat i bought looks rather tiny compared to the cab but ill figure something out. Anyway lads and Gals, enjoy and cheers.

IMG_0088_zps1e0405c5.jpg

IMG_0087_zpsfd162ed3.jpg

IMG_0086_zpsa5697126.jpg

IMG_0085_zps3a8af662.jpg

IMG_0078_zps757c964e.jpg

IMG_0077_zps33125726.jpg

You seem to be getting on well with this, I have never attempted a complete scratch build like this and to be honest it is the buildings I prefer to make. I like what you are doing and fair play for having a crack at it.

Father in law sounds like an interesting bloke too!!

• 4 months later...

Swather ready for this harvest Jan? the model world is lacking a nice swather.

at the moment its buried under some paperwork at home somewhere, to be honest I think I made a mistake taking on a project that big for my first built haha

Archived