Plastic weld, will it glie to painted plastic?

deKleijn

Question

Just wondering if i should paint all the bits a d bobs first and then glue.

Or

Glue it all together and then paint it.

I guess plastic weld wont work so well on painted plastic.

Also can you get primer in a spray can?

Would preferrobuy a airbrush. But this is my firstmodel so might try spray paint

Cheers, jan

5 answers to this question

I have used plastic weld to repair display boxes. I have been told by an expert that it works using capillary action and melts hard plastic to literally weld two pieces together. I suspect that it would not work where the plastic has a coating of paint and if it did work may damage the paint finish.

If no one can come up with a definitive answer I suggest you try it on some spare bits.

Primer can be bought in a spray can 'cos I have some.

Thank you Tris and Sue, And i have one more question, Would the red paint in the picture below, could it be the same paint used on the new Case machinary. I recon its different and more darker but i figure a second opinion is always helpfull. Thanks in advance guys and gals

44b55507.jpg

Plasti weld will work on painted surfaces , but no where as good as on bare plastic . I have used it in emergency situations when something has broken and it will bubble/ crack the paint I the immediate area of the bond . Lot easier to build as much as you can inone bit then paint . Do items like cab interiors as separate bits that can be painted separate then Just fitted into the model one the main body ect has been painted