Britains prototype

britainstoys.nl

Nice buy, shame about the missing cab.

I have a "Sample Copy" marked Police Helicopter in the usual style of box for this item. It has slight differences to the production version. Also a Road Series Mercedes Unimog with Pipe trailer, I think, marked with the same little Sample Copy sticker. It has different decals on it, I do not have a production version to compare with. Will post pictures when able, working away........

• 2 months later...

@Britainstoys.nl (#1): I apologize it has taken a while to answer this thread. I do have some prototypes; unfortunately they are located at my father’s address, as I do not have the room for an entire collection yet, so no pictures can be taken within the next fourteen days.

In my view, the most interesting prototypes are always the ones that never entered production. Unfortunately, I only hold one of these. To the best of my belief it is a four row beet drill finished in lime green (not similar to any other colour Britains ever made but close to the colour used in a short timespan on the 3 furrow plough). By all accounts it was made in the late 1960’s or early 1970’s (ex Britains Archive).

Furthermore I have a pre production (prototype) version of the Valmet 805 finished in white, almost transparent, plastic. Like yours it comes without the cab.

The model I personally takes most interest in is a Britains Valmet 805 Autoway sample. It differs from the standard issue in regard to the rear mudguards, which are black, and the exhaust. The exhaust is finished in plastic, unlike the standard issue, and is a lot taller and resembles the actual exhaust more closely. It can be seen on the back of the boxes containing the Valmet 805 from ’86 – ’88.

Then I have a number of models either promotional or containing production flaws: Blue Valmet 8750 with narrow wheels, Ford TW 25 with grey wheels, Fiat show models on plinths for toy fairs (in the same style as New Holland TR85 in your collection) et cetera.

In regard to your green Massey Ferguson 595: Are you sure it was made prior to the standard model? In my view it seems more plausible, due to the colour, that it was made as a colour trial for the Deutz DX 110 (which came out in 1978), though this would not make it any less exciting.