whethered 7810

i thought id give whethering a go today as found some powder in my local model shop. think ive gone abit over board? Does anyone have any tips on how to make it thicker on the wheels and whats best to use to seal it with i tried some acrylic matt varnish but that has just frosted one sides windows:( any help would be much appreciated cheers!!post-3634-0-78384600-1361745517_thumb.jp

Hi Jordan, I think it looks good mate but I would advise if you get a wet cloth gently take off the excess in areas where mud would not naturally stay. Unless you used a solvent to mix it with which will make it harder to remove, if so a bit of white spirit on a cotton bud may do the trick. In terms of building up mud its pretty hard to do with weathering powder as it so thin, especially in areas where there is movement (i.e the wheels) as it may just fall off. I would recommend using a texture paint (Tamiya doa  mud brown) or make your own by mixing enamel paint with weathering powder and some form of paste (miliputt is good) In terms of sealing the model I use matt model varnish or better 'pigment fixer' (made by Mig or AK interactive) The trick with weathering is less is more, build up areas gradually even if you want a really weathered finish (like the 1:16 County 754 I did recently)

Also weathering generally looks better if you can build up small areas with brushes and then use a sprayed finish to give that fine splash finish.

All in all mate a great start, stick with it :) Any questions just ask

I think it looks good over the wheels and tyres and under the engine, front weights etc but maybe too much over the cab roof and bonnet. Not too far from what many tractors look like on outdoor pig units this time of year.

hi thanks for your comments really helpful. iv had a little play around again today and tried mixing it with pva glue and made the mixture alot thicker and that has seemed to work a little better still got alot of different things to try anyhow heres my latest progress

post-3634-0-30226700-1361830429_thumb.jppost-3634-0-58142800-1361830437_thumb.jppost-3634-0-31316500-1361830468_thumb.jppost-3634-0-58563800-1361830482_thumb.jp

Archived