1972Farmings collection

1972farming

After spending some time earlier looking through the photos of Shaun Britains very impressive collection it inspired me to photograph some of mine. Hope you enjoy.

This first set of photos is of a large cabinet I bought from an antique shop in Malvern a few years ago. i think the models look OK in it .

post-153-0-60846200-1362840853_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-98255100-1362840956_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-52328900-1362841028_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-77237400-1362841081_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-45698300-1362841162_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-01129600-1362841244_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-92342000-1362841315_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-06965900-1362841366_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-95914600-1362841412_thumb.jpg

Very interesting collection, with some interesting old stuff, such as the Heyde hunting figures, and the Codeg farm box, whatever's in that - please do photos of the contents. And cowboys! (How many colour versions of the kneeling firing cowboy in that trade box?) And soldiers! (What's in those boxes?)  

Perhaps we should get together for some possible swaps. I have several Tri-ang buildings which i would part with, and my Robilt buildings can go too, some of them, like yours, boxed. And quite a lot of other buildings I'd part with, plus I see one you have which I'd really like. That's the problem with collecting toy farm buildings, they do take up a lot of space when you get a lot of them. so its virtually impossible to collect all of them. But then, as far as I've been able to discover, no one has ever tried. I have a lot, but the situation is, the more I buy, or even just see on ebay and elsewhere, the more i realise how many were made, and that's just counting more or less commercially made (many were not much more than garden shed outfits) in the UK, say, 1925 to 1975.   

Some lovely items there '72.

I like to see drivers on tractors, those ones seem to be getting harder to find these days,

I'm still seeking the blue tipping trailer. I do have a blue tipping body that is probably from one of the farm lorries, the tipping hinge, still present, is in a different location to the trailer but it could be mounted on an orange chassis........... I know a fake ::)

What are the Glyntoys?

Good to see you still have the Robilts, remind us which ones please

Some lovely items there '72.

I like to see drivers on tractors, those ones seem to be getting harder to find these days,

I'm still seeking the blue tipping trailer. I do have a blue tipping body that is probably from one of the farm lorries, the tipping hinge, still present, is in a different location to the trailer but it could be mounted on an orange chassis........... I know a fake ::)

What are the Glyntoys?

Good to see you still have the Robilts, remind us which ones please

I'd like to see all the Glyntoys as well. We've already seen a few on another thread here, cattle and a well as I recall.

I will take some more close ups of the glyntoys.

I have been collecting on and off since about 2000 following a 1970s and early 80s childhood brought up on a diet of Britains.

As some of you will know over the years I have sold some of my best tractors (DDNS, E27NS etc) to fund other hobbies (motocross) but I have now realised that my joints can't take the punishment anymore. Serious knee injuries on the same knee have curtailed the extreme sports now and its just cross country mountain biking now.

I have many regrets about selling nice models like my E27n in duck egg box (what was i thinking ?) and boxed ddns.

I am now however enjoying looking out for models again and I did manage to hold on to all of my original lead figures like the hunting models.

I will take some more close ups of the glyntoys.

When you do the Glyntoys photos, could you, if possible, do each item with its box label, presumably showing a catalogue/item number?

I'm intrigued by this virtually unknown manufacturer, so would like to learn as much as i can about their entire range, dates they were in business, etc.

I have taken some more phots of some of the models.

Here is the light blue trailer .

Also a counter display box of zoo models.

Two pictures of the CODEG  farm set.

Does anyone know when the codeg set was made ?

Also ,how rare are the light blue trailers ?

cheers, more photos later after i have fed the kids !

post-153-0-99110500-1363019887_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-27995000-1363019933_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-11895400-1363020015_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-87303100-1363020063_thumb.jpg

insert drooling smiley

Blue trailer is common as muck, send it to me  >:D seriously though I'd say pretty rare, I've only seen one on Ebay, that I can remember.

I presume the CODEG figures are a sort of half flat and solid? The land girl is very shapely  ::) 

I'm sure you've posted the Glyntoys before,I wouldn't mind a few of them too. Nice to see them all minty boxed. All bought together? Are they hollowcast?

Keep 'em coming

I think the glyntoys cattle are solid because they are very heavy. They also have a textured finish. The paint on some of them is very flaky too and they don't want to be handled too much. I would love to know more about the company like when they were made etc.

The codeg figures are semi flat and very nice in condition too, I have had this set for quite a few years now and luckily its a set I have hund onto.

I didn't pay much for it and I don't think it would make a great deal at auction but I like it.

I have displayed some models locally at jubilee fetes last year and village shows and my models always create interest which is nice.

I bought the glyntoys as a job lot off ebay for not a lot of money and have some duplicates amongst them. I have never seen any more since so I am guessing they could be rare.

I was going to write an article on them for Andy in the Model Farmer mag but never got round to it.

I could write a bit but I am stuck on information about the company really.

The final picture on this thread is of an unknown pump which I display with my glyntoys.

Enjoy.

post-153-0-86361400-1363120569_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-81928100-1363120628_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-06414300-1363120708_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-69843200-1363120748_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-86060400-1363120798_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-03724000-1363120849_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-59288600-1363120889_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-89846600-1363120937_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-58626900-1363121003_thumb.jpg

The moulds for the semi-flat figures in the CODEG box seem to have changed hands several times, or there could have been more than one set of moulds.

They are known as 'The Dorset Series' of farm figures.

They are believed to have first been sold by Phillip Segal. After he died in 1951 it is thought all the Segal moulds were bought by Halberd Castings @ Preston, but they went bust, and the official receiver @ Preston sold the Dorset Series moulds at least to Clarke Brothers @ Liverpool & Stoke, but they seem to have gone bust soon after as well.  

CODEG were based @ London, and made a range of mostly die cast zinc (which I think these Dorset figures are) farm, garden and dolls house items.  

The other pump and trough thing was made by D.C.M.T. (Die Cast Metal Tools), also @ London, & a very similar range of stuff as CODEG, indeed I've wondered if CODEG and DCMT were two names for the same people. There is another similar London company 'B & S' (not Barrett & Sons, former half of T&B ), but no one in the collecting community seems to know who they were.

The info I have here, such as it is, is from Norman Joplin's big Yellow and Blue books. I'm sure that if he knew more, he would have included it, and we can probably assume that if Norman doesn't know, no one does. Clearly, we'll have to wait until someone gets keen enough to wade through mountains of old toy trade magazines at the British Library newspaper & magazine section (at  Kew?) to find more company details. It won't be me!

Oh,and thanks for the Glyntoys photos. Pity the boxes don't seem to have any item numbers, as numbers are often a good indicator of how many in a range, at least the highest number is! And if all their cattle had been numbered in sequence, then we might be able to guess what the other items (missing numbers in a sequence) might have been. Presumably there were the usual range of other livestock, some people, fences/hedges/gates/troughs/etc. as well at least. I have a few quite thick/chunky semi-flat trees & shrubs which might be by them I suppose.

Yes ,its all drylined and insulated. It has 2 up and over doors and one is blocked up from the inside and insulated too. Theres no heating in there but it stays frost free and is sheltered by the house . I always wanted somewhere to put my models but I ahve filled this space now with farm models and other old stuff .

Its my little place where I can escape to !

Archived