Massey Ferguson 10 baler

B O R

I bought this baler back in January and decided to refurbish it. The baler was outside for years and ive literally relined the entire baler with new sheeting and made 90% of the panels from the originals. I have been working at it on and off between model building and it wasnt easy fitting it in... Unfortuantely i didnt take any pics before i began to let you see the sorry state it was in. It was destined for the breakers and the owner told me it wasnt tying on one side, but when i got it home the knotters were unbolted and flipped up to reveal that a ball of sisal twine was wrapped tightly around the knotting bill and the fingers so upon cutting it free we discovered that the whole thing was working as it should...Here are some pics after i spent 6 hours blasting it....

DSCF1524_zps5d4bc4a7.jpg

DSCF1527_zps4791d44c.jpg

it will definately be baling next year behind my tractor pictured below.. I havent started into the pick up reel yet and it needs a lot of work which is a winter project.....just glad to get the baler painted and indoors before the autumn and the temperature drops and not a good time for painting

CIMG0347_zps2d47eaac.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thanks....the baler will be restored to a high standard but will be used occasionally in hay next year or even better if it was straw...it certainly is something different to restore but taking it apart and repairing as i went along has taught me a great deal about the balers workings and hopefully this will stick by me as i try to keep it running in the field as MF intended it to.....i havent began work on the pickup reel yet and again this needs a lot of work  to get it in shape, its going to be a winter project!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ive now stripped down the pick up reel after making all the necessary parts and fitting them on.. Lots of heat was needed to separate some of the parts and copying the old damaged sides wasn't easy, I only fit this in as a hobby around my model building

post-1667-0-56407900-1436048544_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-99572700-1436048574_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-51749600-1436048599_thumb.jp

These 3 pictures show the pick up completely stripped down and ready for blasting and painting and rebuilding, the pick up was one of the trickiest bits so far, it required quite a bit of work, the bearings will be replaced as a matter of course. Im doing my blasting on Monday week and its then into the hands of the painter, I enjoy building things up and find it the most enjoyable part, the stripping down and trying to remove 40 year old bolts and nuts and some of them shearing along the way is one of the not so enjoyable and dirtier bits..

post-1667-0-38053600-1436048754_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-86688200-1436048777_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-26608300-1436048808_thumb.jp

Both sides of the reel were copied and remade, the hay fingers above the pick up was copied and remade, 14 new crop bands were bought and now I have to buy the 28 pick up tines, various bits and pieces were fixed and welded along the way and a lot of straightening was done too.. All in all id say that the pick up reel in the end will have consumed around £800 to restore. A baler is certainly a huge challenge to restore as theres just so many parts. But the baler is period related to MFs 100 series tractors and will make a very interesting implement at rallies, ill be taking the baler to a few shows later in the year and ill get pics of this and then next year hopefully get to bale some hay with it, or even better some straw... It was a huge setback when the first painter let me down badly, to see the careless job done was enough to almost make me take the whole lot to the breakers yard but why should we let people who don't share our enthusiasm or goal to do the best job possible ruin our hopes, so I didn't and simply took over 30 hours and rubbed it down mostly by hand and then started again, glad now I did, as for the painter, well ill certainly never need him again nor the careless attitude I experienced. Many hours and much work later and im nearly there 

This looks like a top job I am glad you haven't settled for the first paint job and have had the paint done again as annoying as it is you now have a great paint job cant wait to see it finished .

Good to see you are getting back in to the baler when time allows Brian,will hopefully be able to get over sometime and see your wee 135 and baler together in the flesh, look forward to seeing updates, keep up the hard work, will all be worth it in the end :-)

I certainly hope so Mark, I only have basic equipment such as an arc welder which meant when I was relining the baler with 3mm steel I had to only weld small lengths at a time and had to find ways of clamping it and also plenty of wet rags to prevent metal warping which is very easily done with such heat. I actually learned myself quite a lot both about welding and also the workings of the baler and this to me was of particular importance, in general there are less and less people who use conventional balers although slowly there coming back especially for straw and this means there are less folk who know who to keep them going, there are a huge amount of mechanicals in balers and very fine adjusting to get right, a good baler a pleasure but a bad one is truly a utter nightmare, older folk who used them are very interesting as some know them inside out, its important to know this and to learn I think, ive an uncle who literally knows them inside out, and welgers and I am learning big time. To keep older balers working is becoming a gift, a baler that misses 1 in 30 has a problem and will need sorting out right away but the baler that misses 1 in 100 will leave you scratching your head and wondering how your going to get to the bottom of it. There a very tempermental machine and the settings must all be correct, but when they are they should run like a sewing machine... An interesting fact is that my 10 baler as an example has a power requirement of 18hp to power, so even if you put a JD7280r in front of it the slip clutch limits its hp to 18..... Good job isn't it otherwise you,d be picking shrapnel out of your forehead for weeks...

Its just like model building but on a real life scale brian, i bought myself a wee mig welder before my dad moved out, he was going to teach me how to weld, but never did, lent it too one of my mates when his dad big mig welder was out of gas and his was quite suprised how well it worked once he had the settings to his liking, i have heard my dad and brian stewart mentioning how easy these wee square balers can be knocked off, and it can either be simple to fix or a bloody nightmare, as you said, the younger generation like myself dont know much about settings and such like of these balers, and i wouldnt think it will be something they are taught when serving their time at a agricultural engineer's.boy i used to hang about still does wee hay bales aswell as rounf silage, they wee hay ones are handy for feeding to the sheep in the lambing shed, they were using an international baler the last time i was there but that was a few years ago now

• 2 weeks later...

Archived