Dump Trucks (revised 3/1/14)

super6

As BC has a nice orange Dump Truck, here are a few more to seek out/wet his appetite.

Introduced in 1968 for the princely sum of 7/6 or for us younger people 37.5 pence. As listed in the '68 consumer catalogue. The August '68 trade order form had the retail price up at 8/-. Deleted 21 years latter at the end of 1978 when it had a suggested retail price of £1.20.

First up 9670 in the original sleeve and plinth box, in blue. It now has a driver

IMG_4617.jpg

Red version with the Tower Crane window box, complete with brick stick and road signs

IMG_4621.jpg

Green version, again with Tower Crane window box, with loose bricks and one and a half road signs!

IMG_4620.jpg

Metalic blue, no box

IMG_4625.jpg

Autoway Dump Truck 9810, fixed rear axle. Introduced in 1984 with the then all new Autoway series.

IMG_4622.jpg

Road Series 9919, (Sanderson) Winget Tipping Dump Truck, again fixed rear axle with a solid steering wheel. Compare the two castings above the rear wheel/s. The road Series one also has a tow hook and an eye to the rear of the skip.  First available in the Autoway series in this shape as 9810, possibly with out eye, 1986 only, the last Autoway year. Soldiering on as 9578 in the Authentic Farm Models range from 1992, surviving to the end of 1995.

IMG_4623.jpg

9919 a proposed Military range prototype as painted for Britains by Roy Dilley. I have provenance to prove this. The seller also had a partially completed roller 9912, when I made latter enquires about this it had gone to a Dutch man I think. This does not have the eye on the skip.

IMG_4626.jpg

The whole lot showing the different types of boxes. There are a few more versions for me to seek out yet  ::)

IMG_4627.jpg

Great collection there, thanks for posting, they really are great models from Britains :laugh:

i have a red dumper like yours but it's not in as good condition,

you said:

'There are a few more versions for me to seek out yet'

I didn't know there was that many! 

you said:

'There are a few more versions for me to seek out yet'

I didn't know there was that many! 

For starters an orange one as per BC's, then the second Autoway version with rear mudguard extensions as per photo 6 of post no.1 

For starters an orange one as per BC's, then the second Autoway version with rear mudguard extensions as per photo 6 of post no.1 

Alright Paul...I can attach your name (not in pen) but with a yellow stickie....if you want....when I decide to sell my collection :unsure: 

Alright Paul...I can attach your name (not in pen) but with a yellow stickie....if you want....when I decide to sell my collection :unsure: 

It will take you just as long to sell it as it did to amass it Bill!  :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst having a chat with Brian Norman at Shepton Mallet last December I spied this on his stall and snapped it up.

Early orange coloured dump truck with painted skip release and steering wheel with grips around circumference.Grey painted engine and running gear. Also with early type steering mechanism underneath, see next post

IMG_4663.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4664.jpg

Note early reg. plate for 1968, missing from front of skip

IMG_4665.jpg

Underneath of orange dumper showing the long steering arm to base of column and painted drag link connecting the two wheels with short wire link connecting the two. Note painted long spring on skip release.

IMG_4657.jpg

Compare with blue dumper, shorter steering arm but still with painted drag link and long wire link connecting the two. Steering wheel also has grips around circumference as orange version. Note unpainted long spring on skip release.

IMG_4658.jpg

Metalic blue with drag link the same grey colour as engine and running gear. Note now L reg so perhaps from 1973!

IMG_4659.jpg

Green with either a natural finish or silver grey to drag link, engine and running gear. Note short/fat unpainted spring on skip release.

IMG_4660.jpg

Interesting to see all these little differences Paul. Out of interest, does the steering action work better or worse with the long steering arm ???

I don't think it makes much difference Mark. Perhaps they were getting a lot of casting failures   :unsure:

Very interesting topic...since Paul decided to wet my appetite for more dumpers for my collection I have added two Autoway ones to my collection...one received today and one to receive but one has rear extensions wings bit one has not.

Photo's of my two 98 - tens...side by side to see the differences.

P1090684_zps5a76c039.jpg

One driver has more black hair than the other and one dumper has extension rear wings and a tow hook.

P1090685_zps20f271f7.jpg

Sanderson decal on the back of the one with two hook.

P1090686_zpsf08bf125.jpg

P1090687_zps851d0f69.jpg

Archived