New model show at Oldmeldrum in Aberdeenshire date now set Saturday 29th November 2014

BC

Just a head's up...but I had a call from Mike Watt from Oldmeldrum who is the Chairman of the the GVRS club at Old meldrum and he was asking me if there would be enough interest from model exhibitors to have a model show at Oldmeldrum's Royal British Legion on a Saturday when there would be soup and sandwiches to raise funds for the Royal British Legion. 

I said I would ask around to see if people were interested and would spread the word.

As to the location here it is AB51 0AA

http://oldmeldrumlegion.co.uk/

Mike said it was beside the chipper and size wise the hall could hold a dance for 150 people...but as for parking well that was limited apart from the Square...but I did say he could run a tractor and trailer shuttle from the GVRS rally field ;D  ;D

Aye it is good to see Kenny and this one would benefit another good cause. I don't know if Mike would organise it or not (certainly not the job for me) but I would help promote it and get it off the ground if he wanted.I reall Albert Irvine the chap from Balquhain near Inverurie with cranes and heavy haulage said his grandson Alex Meff was keen to organise one at Oldmeldrum Academy after seeing the success of Callum Morrison's one at Dingwall Academy so maybe those two are candidates to help Mike do the organising bit. Anyway just a thought just now and I will spread the word to see if there is enough exhibitor interest in a another new event over the coming months.

Second email back is from Albert Irvine from Balquhain beside Inverurie who is keen assuming it does not clash with other shows....I'll make sure of that but I haven't asked if he will help to organise along with his grandson Alex Neff  and the rest of the GVRS committee ;D  ;D

Another two exhibitors from Aberdeen are keen to exhibit.

Stuart Milne who collects British road cars but also collects novelty cars such as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Batman cars etc.

Angus Plumb who collects mecanno and has also indicated he has books and magazines to sell and he would donate half the proceeds to the Legion.

I have still another 9 exhibitors / sellers who don't use emails to give a call and see if they are interested.

It's all early days Neil and all I'm doing at present is spreading the word and seeing what interest there is out there so I can pass on to the GVRS and the RBL to organise if enough interest is show. I don't want to be negative but I don't think a Saturday is the best day for a show since many folk have to work or shopping or have children activities etc. In addition I don't know how good the hall location will be for parking. Having said that on a positive side the soup and sandwiches from the ladies of the Legion will be good if they are half as good as the spread they put on for us as exhibitors at the GVRS rally last August. For them it probably has to be a Saturday since no doubt they will have church duties on a Sunday ;D  ;D

Another four folk have shown interest in showing and selling.

Karl Stevens the secretary of the Aberdeen Model Railyway Club said they could put on a club display.

Stewart Duncan said he would be keen to sell new tractors, implements and lorries etc assuming it was not the first Saturday of the month since he goes to Falkirk to sell on the first Sunday of every month.

Bruce Walker from Aberdeen is keen to display his heavy haulage lorries and cranes assuming he is not working shifts and so is his friend Jim Stantion who displays cranes and model lorry kits etc.

So far no signs of interest from the farming, boat or plane faternity but well it is still early days.

John Dunn from Portlethen has shown interest in exhibiting along with son Chris. The question is will it be their model scale farm of Easter Anguston near Peterculter of their extensive collection of dustbin lorries :huh:  :unsure: 

Charlie Christie aka "skitterbox chas" is keen assuming a date (should a show go ahead) does not clash with him being offshore so that would make a nice collection of livestock haulage vehicles. On the same subject I forgot about Harry Thomson junior ex Henry Thomson & Sons livestock hauliers from Sauchen. Harry has an extensive collection of livestock vehicle mainly ones the family firm have used in their business over the years and he converts lorry kits and also scratch builds the floats.I have only ever seen him display at Tarland Show but he is a target for a Tractor Plant and Machinery article so I must try and see if he is interested in this local Aberdeenshire show as well.

Gordon and Sheila Stewart from Carnie near Huntly have already planned their shows for the year but said they were was always room for one more 8)

They exhibit Meccano, model steam engines and Dinky tractors. 

Well I haven't been to Aberdeen & Northern Marts Sunday stalls and car boot sales for many many years and I have to say it looked dead and dying. Anyway on a positive note I met Geordie Walker from Kemnay a retired farmer and digger contractor and he was up for displaying at another new model show. Geordie has a collection of tractors implements and lorries and also a remote controlled excavator (which he enjoys demonstrating ;D  ;D ) plus other plant and construction equipment models.That is another good thing about collectors who collect different types of models since you can diplomatically ask if they could bring certain kinds depending on what other exhibitors are bringing along. I think the success of a model show is variety and the public don't want to come year in year out and see the same exhibitors with the same displays....well variety is the spice of life as they say ;D  ;D

This lunchtime I called 3 prospective exhibitors / sellers and I got 2 positive responses from the two who were in so as in the song " two out of 3 ain't bad" ;D  ;D

Michael Plowman from Portlethen and Derek Forbes from Edzell are keen to support the show selling second hand models and books and literature providing family commitments don't get in the way and table costs are not prohibitive.

In addition Derek was keen to think about selling at Callum's show at Dingwall so I have emailed him with the entry form and the poster.

A call to Stewart Duncan reminded me to call a couple of other local collector's of lorries and tractors and plant which I did not have on my target list.

Anyway that's a dozen folk interested or a Baker's dozen if you include myself ...but well I only display to make up numbers as when as required ;D  ;D

I still have another 1/2 dozen calls to make and await any other email replies but so far I have a feel good factor and the GVRS are holding a committee meeting on the evening of Friday 28th February 2014 so I will update them on this coming Thursday on the level of interest shown over the past week.

A few phone calls this evening generated another 4 exhibitors...now I need to let the Legion and GVRS know the interest to ensure the hall is big enough for circa 20 exhibitors / sellers.

Dode McCombie from Portlethen with old Dinky lorries etc for sale and display

Davie Silver from Peterculter a diehard Scania 143 driver with Scania tractor units and trailer and tankers and also older models.

Brian Fleming from Banchory with a large collection of Corgi lorries.

Kenny Moir from Peterculter with a collection of 1/16 scale tractors and also lorries and construction in other scales..

I have got the kinda off of good feeling there is in this proposed show but well I'm not organising it and only giving my contact details to the Legion and GVRS Oldmeldrum...but I will assist and help in every way I can for an Aberdeenshire good cause.

Hi Bill this is a growing hobby and more folk are taking note of the models now. Sadly can't do a Saturday.

I appreciate that Kenny and I know a Saturday is not the best days with work and shopping and family commitments but I think the ladies of the Legion may be too busy on a Sunday with flowers and teas at the church.

Anyway the feedback from emails and phonecalls is so good I need to let the organiser's know so they can advise the number of tables and folk they can handle and provide soup and sandwiches for >:(  >:(

I had an email back yesterday from Mike Watt the G.V.R.S president thanking me for helping to get this started and he said he would contact the Legion to see what dates were free and what dates the ladies of the Legion did soup and sandwiches. I had a run out past Oldmeldrum yesterday afternoon and although the hall was closed there is a fair bit of parking within the Legion grounds. I addition there is parking at the square and also a car park a short distance down beside the ice cream shop. Anyway still early days but fingers crossed for another Scottish model show.

Another two interested folk taking the numbers to 20 and still folk to hear back from and yet to target.

Douglas Watt trading as Deveron Collectibles from Oyne is keen to sell diecast models and Dinky's and Andy Soutar from Aberdeen is keen to display his steam wagon and smaller mamod scale steam engines.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a call from William Moir from Fraserburgh today and both him and his brother David would be interested. William like me said he would prefer a show after the Summer agricultural shows had finished. We both agreed a date in October / November leading up to Christmas for buying presents from the sellers might be a good time. I can only suggest this to the organisers but at least we now have 22 interested folk for the event.

At the Dingwall show today there was a chap called Nicolas Archibald from Keith how was displaying lorries and works as a mechanic for J & G Riddell the timber hauliers from Glenkindie together with his brother and a friend. Again another interested exhibitor taking the prospective list to 23... so the interest is certainly there...now all down to the Legion to see how many they can fit in and find a suitable date. From the feedback I have been getting sometime in September / October and November would be a good time...but time will tell.

• 2 months later...

Today at the Fraserburgh Vintage Rally I eventually met up with Mike Watt the Chairman of the GVRS (Oldmeldrum) Club and he said they were planning to hold the model show on the last Saturday in November which I wrote on my hand and that would seem to be the 29th of November 2014. Not yet cast in stone but Mike said he was going to book that date when the ladies of the Legion were doing a soup and sandwich day. Looking at the shows and events and ploughing matches I attended last year the only event I can see the model show would clash with is the Glenbervie ploughing match which was held at Fettercairn on the 30th November 2013 which was on the last Saturday of November.

Anyway good to see another show being set up in Scotland and for a good cause as Mike said the Legion are struggling for funds to keep an old building going.

So....only 6 months away but ample warning so if any members on here know of anyone else interested in exhibiting or selling just let me know on here or by PM or email and I will pass on to Mike Watt.

Just less than a month before Christmas so it must be a good time to buy a present for the kids or grandchildren or even boys who collect "toys" and have yet to grow up ;D  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have informed the organiser today Mike Watt from Oldmeldrum I have 23 exhibitors / traders interested plus another 7 possible. I hope to get more positives at the Steam Fair at Castle Fraser this weekend...but I was happy to be asked if I could help to get folk to attend and exhibit and sell since the British Legion is one I need to support given I know my two grandfathers fought for their country and sadly I never saw my grandfather Edward on my dad's side who died aged 58 after suffering the effects of being gassed in the war. 

• 4 weeks later...

I got an email from Mike Watt saying the Legion had confirmed the date of the show as Saturday 29th November 2014. At Glamis Castle yesterday I got another interested seller who want's to down size his collection of mainly unboxed Dinky and Matchbox models.

Well that's a list of 30 interested traders and exhibitors sent to the organiser Mike Watt. There may well be drop outs because of the weather at that time of the year but I'm still waiting to hear back from another three potential exhibitors / traders. Mike is the president of the GVRS rally at Oldmeldrum so once that show which takes place on Sunday 3rd August 2014 he will have more time to focus on organising the new model show. A true "meldrum loon" who does so much for the village of Oldmeldrum 8)

Archived