New model show at Oldmeldrum in Aberdeenshire date now set Saturday 29th November 2014

BC

The numbers of interested exhibitors and traders are now standing at 34 split between 26 exhibitor and 8 traders which is a fine circa 75% / 25% split and I'm still waiting to hear back from another two..one an exhibitor and one a trader. I was at the Dounby show in Orkney earlier this month and Brian Stewart and myself were having an early morning walk amongst the stalls when we stumbled on a trader from Orkney was selling various approximately 1/16th scale models made in thin ply- wood which included Land Rovers, recovery trucks,forklifts and trains and carriages etc. I jokingly said to Brian that would make a good trader for the new model show at Old Meldrum in November this year. I then said to the proprietor who had an English accent that would be a good stall to take to Meldrum...but I don't suppose you know where that is...well I was shocked when the other chap with him said...aye I know where Meldrum is I used to stay in nearby Methlick ;D  ;D ...well well what a small small world and I was more even surprised when the two chaps said it would be good to spend a weekend in Aberdeen. Time will tell but it would be a trader with that something different to sell less than a month to Christmas.

IMG_3918_zps9d2935be.jpg

IMG_3919_zpse8a3ff86.jpg

Then on Saturday I met and spoke to Harry Thompson junior (ex floater from Henry Thompson & Sons of Sauchen) who builds large scale livestock lorries and floats in his family livery. Harry was keen provided he was not called offshore with his new employer Halliburton.

• 4 weeks later...

I was standing having a chat to mr softie who was one of the 4 vans selling ice cream at the Scottish Vintage Tractor Club rally at Scone Palace near Perth yesterday when Hamish Ross from Denny came up for a ice cream. I had forgotten about Hamish who sells construction models so he is keen to attended so I have added him to the list and passed on to Mike.

• 4 weeks later...

Model show poster ...feel free to spread the word. I was talking to Mike Watt toady at the County working day and he was saying he has been able to arrange off site parking for exhibitors and traders once off loaded so that should free up spaces at and around the Legion for spectators to come to buy and look and treat themselves to soup and sandwiches or maybe even soup and a sweet ;D  ;D 

OLDMELDRUM MODEL SHOW email.docx

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday at the Ravenhill open day at Thainstone another couple of folk showed interest in displaying and selling at the show. Young Danny Forbes from Newmachar might be interested in displaying and Ben Ewen the Parts Manager from Ravenhill at Turriff may be interested in selling models

• 1 month later...
I attend the inaugural Oldmeldrum Model show on Saturday and it was well supported by six traders and ten exhibitors. Given the size of the Legion hall this was never going to be a large show but on the day the hall was almost full with the exception of the stage. The stage was going to be used by Albert Irvine from Inverurie displaying his large cranes but unfortunately Albert had to call off due to a family bereavement. I don't know how many spectators attended but there was a steady flow all day and Mike Watt the organiser and president of the Garioch Vehicle Restoration was pleased with the day and said he had spoken to all the traders and exhibitors near the end and all with the exception of one trader (who said the hall was cold) were willing to come back next year. Mike is keen to hold the show again and build on it including putting more emphasis on advertising the event other than just by word of mouth.In addition there was a Tombola table which was also selling small bags of donated home made toffee and upstairs the ladies of the Legion were selling tattie soup and "doorstep" sandwiches. All in all everyone was well fed and watered at the event ;D  ;D

IMG_6026_zps3bc0d9e6.jpg

IMG_6027_zpsb92847ca.jpg

IMG_6028_zps439d3a22.jpg

Only the one agricultural related display by Mike Neville from Newmachar.

IMG_6029_zpse4411007.jpg

IMG_6034_zpsf1daabde.jpg

IMG_6035_zpsb9d50f98.jpg

IMG_6051_zpse94f040e.jpg

IMG_6052_zpsbcca34a8.jpg

IMG_6053_zps0be9ccd8.jpg

IMG_6054_zps5e2ad1a3.jpg

Thats it from me from the 1st Oldmeldrum show...not a huge one...but no cost for the the hall to stage the event so all monies raised on the day is all gain to the Legion and GVRS funds which can't be bad.

It was a small show but it was a really enjoyable and a very friendly one Paul. Despite not being promoted or advertised all that well it still managed to achieve a reasonable amount of spectators during the day.

I think ...I know the organiser now knows this and  I'm sure this will be rectified for next year since he was really happy with how the first show went despite being worried the night before ;D  ;D

Your question on the Ford 7000 is a good question Paul...in fact...too good a question for me to answer...but are you on Facebook...since Mike had created a group called "Model Tractor and Digger Club Scotland". I know you are English but you know what "Aye" and "I ken fit you mean" is so I'm sure you will be accepted. 

No worries Bill, I'm not on facebook to get in touch with Mike, but still looks a tidy outfit 8)  Aye I ken a bit of Scottish like but still learning (with help from Kenny and Shirley, Mark and Joe)  though if truth be told I'm still learning English!! :laugh:  :laugh:

I hope Mark's reply below helps Paul but I can easily confirm with Mike for you?

Thanks Bill for posting the pictures and let's hope this show will in years to come.

Paul, the Ford 7000 has been converted by using an axle off a Britains John Deere 4020 ;)  I wonder how many JD 4020's got scraped just for the axle and rear wheels?

Thanks Mark. Yes it looks as though it could become an annual event...just needs some tweeking and tinkering done ;D  ;D

Thanks Bill for posting the pictures and let's hope this show will grow in years to come.

Paul, the Ford 7000 has been converted by using an axle off a Britains John Deere 4020 ;)  I wonder how many JD 4020's got scraped just for the axle and rear wheels?

Thanks for that, Mark :) I bet there'd have been a good few  4020 Deere's broken up for bits over the past few years.

Cheers Bill ;) but think Mark's answered the question   8)   

Thanks for that, Mark :) I bet there'd have been a good few  4020 Deere's broken up for bits over the past few years.

Cheers Bill ;) but think Mark's answered the question   8)   

Paul just to add .....Mike was saying the conversion was done by Dave Towse.

Archived