Restoring Britains boxes...

malcy_p

Evening all!

Impulse purchase on e-bay last week arrived today from Belgium today - item number 251549123068 if anyone is interested... :)  I happen to have the models missing from the empty boxes so I will put them together to make a 'complete' pairing.

Anyway, the boxes are in better condition than I had thought, but most need new cellophane, bits gluing etc. 

Any thoughts on what to use for the cellophane, gluing tips/tricks and finally, how were the models attached to the inner cardboard originally? 

Any infomation gratefully appreciated before I rush in and ruin things!

Oh, here are two of the boxes showing the state of them... 

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

/malc.

P.S. Anyone selling replacement muledozer adapters these days?? :)

Well when I have the need to repair or replace cellophane I use write on transparent film which was used on overhead projectors in the olden days ;D  ;D

http://www.officea-z.com/product/775068/5-star-ohp-film-writeon-85-micron-a4-clear-[pack-100

For glue I use Bostik paper Glue.

As yet I have never taken a box apart but I told you can do so glue on the cello and then use thin double sided tape to stick together the two pieces of cardboard.

The method I have used and maybe not the quickest or the best but it has worked for me is as follows. 

I select correct sizes of MDF board for the box and wrap these in kitchen roll so the the board doesn't get stuck to the cardboard or cello. Once glued I insert the various boards into the box and then weight the boards down with weights such as used for old fashioned irons and also old weighing scales weights. I always place the model onto a kitchen roll wrapped piece of MDF board since there will always be some glue leak out once the weights are applied. I tend to leave this for 24 hours and then remove the weights and pull out the pieces of wood then carefully pull away the kitchen roll. There will always be some little pieces that have stuck but I have found a gentle rub with a wet cloth will tidy that up. Probably pictures would explain better and well I might get round to that this week. The ones with only a cello front are a breeze to do whereas yours where they have to go round 90 degrees are a bit harder but I have usually made a nick in the cello at the turning point.

For the ones with only the front cello I usually insert the board and then before placing face down and applying weight I take a damp cloth or piece of kitchen roll and wipe off any excess glue since I don't want white paper towel sticking to the red cardboard.

As for securing the models I think the wheels just slot in the bottom of the box and then there will probably a twist lock bit to stabilise the model.

Thanks Bill! :)

I think I might have some transparencies in the loft somewhere.... it's been a while since I've used anything like that for a presentation, as you say, in the olden days! ;)

I'll give it a go when I find them and let you know how I got on!

/malc.

I have in the past repaired a lot of boxes with damaged or missing cellophane. This is how I do it. Open up the box along the glued seam(s) very carefully with a sharp thin bladed knife. remove any of the old cellophane. The ideal replacement is a sheet of laminating plastic, this is shiny, like the cellophane, but a little thicker which will also when in place strengthen the box as well. Lay the sheet over the area of the old box window and with a marker pen mark out the line you need to cut around on the sheet, allow enough overlap to glue it on the box and cut inside the line you've marked, I say this because you need permanent marker for your cut line, other pens/pencils won't leave a mark because of the shiny surface. If you need to make a fold line along the sheet make a small cut each end of the fold line, this will help fold it better and make the fold line hold, if you don't the sheet will 'bulge' a little in the middle. The glue I use is a solvent based glue in a squeeze tube called UHU, use it sparingly running a thin line of it around the old glue line on the box and leave it for 1/2 a minute before placing your new sheet on the inside of the box. Place some weight over the whole window area keeping it flat until the glue is set enough to fold up the box and re-glue the seam using the same glue. Job done.

Thanks Tim - we have a laminator and some pouched - do you 'laminate' them before using as the ones here A4 and A5 very glossy but opaque before use...

Going to have to be feeling brave to slice the boxes open, but I can see that will make things easirt in one respect!

I'll get things together and try over weekend - will post the results*

/malc.

* - unless a disaster ensues!  ::)

Grrrr - just typed a long post about tarting up some Britains boxes, and just lost the lot because I attached too many pictures...

Anyway, I'll try posting the photos again, and if anyone is interested I'll type it up again tomorrow?

/malc.

BBS_01.JPG

BBS_02.JPG

BBS_03.JPG

BBS_04.JPG

Yes, I like the idea of the clothes pegs, hadn't thought of that, probably because I don't use a clothes line, I'll have to explain why! You done well there Malc but  the laminating sheets, not the pouches, are better suited and don't need to be run through the laminator to start with. I also save any suitable clear cellophane from any other boxes, such as the clear lids from old gift boxes, Christmas card boxes and anything else that has a large 'window' to display or show the packaging contents. Now you've done one it will give you the confidence to do more in the future as and when needed.

I haven't used clothes pegs for years, I hang my washing up on a Dutch airing rack over the kitchen stove, doesn't get wet again when it rains and no bird poo!

Probably a question of cost but why Britains never used a thicker stronger cellophane I'll never know but there was no importance in the boxes once little fingers had extracted (or torn) the model out of it. What a difference in the windows now, obviously there is a realisation that the boxes are important.

Another tip I can pass on is in repairing boxes. I notice Malc that one of the muledozer box ends is in two, the way I would repair this is to cut a 'patch' of thin card and place over the two parts and using the same glue as you use for the new windows stick it in place lining up the torn outer edges as best you can to make the join as invisible from the outside as possible and if on the outside you still have a bit of a loose 'flap' stick it down by smearing the under side of it with a little glue applying it with one of those little double sharp ended wooden sticks. If you have an end flap missing, whilst you have the box flattened and opened out, photocopy the good end and stick the photocopy on a piece of card, make sure you leave enough to form a 'tab', like the tab that you cut along in opening up the box to repair so you can attach it on the box. With missing bits, such as what the mice have eaten, lay some card on the inside and draw around the nibble line and cut along it, it will then but against the original, again glue some card over the joint inside, you won't be able to avoid the fact it's a repair unless you have a second identical box which you could photocopy the panel that is damaged on the other box and use that in the same way, line it up to where it should be and again cut along the tear or nibble line, if the shape of the nibble is difficult to follow be brave and cut the box to straighten up the nibbles. If you have weak joints along any of the end flap folds strengthen them by sticking along the length of the fold some invisible tape (Scotch Tape) and rub the edge of a wooden ruler along it with downward pressure to press the tape down into the card, it sticks better and virtually 'dissapears' then.  You'd be surprised how you can bring an old box back to life!

Today I glued the cellophane back onto a box with only a front. This was what I was trying to say in an earlier post ;D  ;D

Oh and thanks for the tip on the clothes pegs Malcy...I found unused more old fashioned ones instead of the small plastic clips I used to use. 8)

P1100848_zps4c321cdf.jpg

"Another tip I can pass on is in repairing boxes. I notice Malc that one of the muledozer box ends is in two, the way I would repair this is to cut a 'patch' of thin card and place over the two parts and using the same glue as you use for the new windows stick it in place lining up the torn outer edges as best you can to make the join as invisible from the outside as possible..."

Tim - this was covered in my original write up that got lost and then I didn't have the heart to retype it! I used a brown A4 envelope cut into pieces if the right shape - glued as you say. The envelope was thick enough that when stuck to the inside of the box if added support and form to the box. 

In my post above that starts "Last ones" photos 1 and 3 shows what we're talking about! :)

/malc.

Today I glued the cellophane back onto a box with only a front. This was what I was trying to say in an earlier post ;D  ;D

Oh and thanks for the tip on the clothes pegs Malcy...I found unused more old fashioned ones instead of the small plastic clips I used to use. 8)

P1100848_zps4c321cdf.jpg

And today or tonight should I say the finished result with all the various bits and bobs I used to glue the cello to the box instead of taking the box apart which I have yet to attempt.

P1100867_zps0110d070.jpg

This was a rather bashed and battered box so I decided to take the plunge and cut the box open, flatten it out,renew the cello and then stick it back together using double sided tape. Not perfect but a lot better than when I bought it.

P1100879_zps0a33ccb4.jpg

P1100880_zpsbbe1ae0f.jpg

P1100881_zps042e1f6c.jpg

P1100882_zps1ef41bb6.jpg

P1100883_zps47925ecc.jpg

P1100884_zps18ae6284.jpg

Archived