Trewny farm

graham

Just been having a catch up here Graham, just brilliant, lots of your unique extra details, and an interesting storyline to go along with the pics.

Couldn't help noticing the typical Cornish trees - angled away from the salt laden winds.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a busy week at Trewny Farm. We are not arable farmers but we try. Our kit is notlike the most modern but to keep costs under control a bit and cutting down on blend that we feed the cows with we have gone and bought 5ton of beans from a farm at Leedstown. It was a horrid day, raining hard so we needed a sheet, all we had was a rubbish plastic blue one that had to do. Father set off and collected them. I was halter training a heifer. One of the problems with robot milking is getting heifers into the robots. This one we will b showing at the Royal Cornwall show so double edged sword with halter training and parlour training. Phone rang, trailer had a puncture on the way back so over with spare and jack and change.We had organised a mobile mill to grind the beans, these were blown into our other trailer, dusty job. We can then tip trailer take out what we want and add to mixer wagon.

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

Had a nice treat with three live heifer calves, never had this before at Trewny before. Cows coming in for their time in the barn feeding, milking, scraping cudding. Very pleased with the robot and service from GEA. cows milking well.

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

Truro tractors have a 210 puma with low hours in the yard so we maybe interested in buying it, so we have got it on the farm for six weeks hire. Going to get it set up for the forage harvester, I think its too big for us but my son is quite keen on having it. It has stirred up the neighbours, theres been quite a talk about it down the pub.

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

thanks for putting the baler pics up , its looks fine . can I ask where your IH decals came from . im looking to convert a bamfords myself at some point too.

your 1056 also inspired me to put a loader on mine , well done , thank you

thanks craig we have the bales on farm ,don't grow maize the farm overlooks the atlantic but we can grow grass also do wholecrop all the leys first cut go for milking cows second cut for heifers still to build the farm for that,    well paul should have ample power for the Mengele rather do the silaging in house can control when we go and the wilt ,we share the Mengele with two other farms as well thanks for looking

Just the update on Trewny Farm. Been thinking of getting some calve igloos and then we wont have to rear the calves in the old buildings. We have heard good results on the igloos. Got a friend with his digger digging out some lumps of granite that stick up in the fields, we have to mow round them, was going to do it after first cut silage but he was working on the neighbours, so he is coming round to scrape off an area for the igloos. Also put the banners up for open farm sunday. The nutrionist advised us to use some Himalayan rock salt, so went to the feed merchant and picked up two bags and some calf food.

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks for looking jay sorry about the lack of reply been away on holiday , it is a converted siku diet feeder in shelbourne reynolds  colours jay they seem popular around my area

• 4 months later...

Archived