Power Farming

Was up in the loft the other day and while looking for something for the Mrs, I found this little stash.

Power Farming was a great read when I was a lad, I think eventually it was incorporated into Farmers Weekly as a few pages and eventually disappeared.

image.jpg

A trip down nostalgia lane. Just checked on eBay and prices vary from £2.50 up to £7.00 for magazines. Profi could be considered to be a current equivalent along with Farm Machinery journal. Some classic machines in these magazines such as MB trac, Bomford dyna drive, IH Axial flow. Certainly worth hanging onto, just don't tell the missus you,ve got them!

I have a few Farmers Weekly's, a 1953 copy that I found in the loft many years ago and a couple from the mid 1960's. The 1953 copy is the most interesting to me, the script on the cover, 'Farmers Weekly' in green and all the small adverts from various Companies, especially the Military surplus stuff being sold  now it being redundant from the last War, Army lorries, Jeeps, gun carriers and bomb trailers. Also interesting to see what the prices were then for farms, machinery, crops such as spuds and grain and the market prices for animals.

I used to spend my pocket money on it as a lad!  I wouldn't mind looking at the issue in the bottom right corner, seeing what they said about the American artic giants...must look for that one on ebay, which month/year was it?  Definitely keep onto that little treasure trove!

Archived